Identifying fuel line to carb...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying fuel line to carb...

1982 GS650, inline 4, followed Clymer manual to take tank and carbs off for cleaning. Wrestled carbs back in and not sure what is my fuel hose to the carbs. I have a hose coming out of the petcock, and then another hose out of the carbs that I'm pretty sure via smell and assessment is the fuel line. The presence of markings and a worm drive make me believe that's the fuel line connected to the carbs and not that I pulled the fuel line off with the tank and have to hunt a nipple down at the carbs.

I just don't understand why I'd have a second hose in that tank but I'm 90% sure was to drain the fuel and I just forgot I put it on the petcock. Just looking to confirm before I hook my petcock up to a wrong hose like a dummy.
    Last edited by jamieofansa; 10-24-2021, 12:19 PM.
    1982 Suzuki GS650E - 8k miles - "Garage kept" barn find bike (it even got knocked over by a tractor before being taken back to the garage). Learning to basic small engine and bike mechanics with this project.
    2001 Kawi Vulcan 800 - First bike and regular ride.

The hose with the clamp is fuel, and it goes on the large connection on the petcock
    The hose on the left, connected to carb #2, is the vacuum and goes to the small connection on the petcock
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The presence of that type of clamp also tells me that it's the wrong TYPE of fuel line.

On the carbs, there is a T between carbs 1&2. There is another T between carbs 3&4. Those are VENT lines that get routed back, over the airbox into the still air under the seat. (I can see one of them disappearing off the right side of your picture.) You might have a rectangular hoop on top of the air filter that will hold those two hoses.

There is another T between carbs 2&3. That is the FUEL line, it gets routed to the larger barb on the petcock. There is a barb on carb #2. That hose (that is disappearing over the valve cover in your picture) should go to the smaller barb on the petcock.

If your bike has a fuel gauge, there will be another rubber hose on the fuel tank. That one just gets routed back, over the airbox and down below the engine. It is there just in case the gasket around the sending unit leaks. It does not get connected to anything at the lower end.

Comment

What is the correct hose type? I did not install it, the bike is new to me, but it's supple and looks like the kind I would be given at a standard four wheeler parts store (AutoZone etc) for fuel line. I've seen much much more expensive clear and colored fuel lines from cycle gear which I assumed to be an ascetic choice.
        1982 Suzuki GS650E - 8k miles - "Garage kept" barn find bike (it even got knocked over by a tractor before being taken back to the garage). Learning to basic small engine and bike mechanics with this project.

Comment

Originally posted by jamieofansa View Post
          What is the correct hose type? I did not install it, the bike is new to me, but it's supple and looks like the kind I would be given at a standard four wheeler parts store (AutoZone etc) for fuel line. I've seen much much more expensive clear and colored fuel lines from cycle gear which I assumed to be an ascetic choice.
          The kind you get from Autozone will be slightly too big hence the need for that clamp. The correct stuff from Suzuki fits snugly without any mechanical help.
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Jamie, Welcome to THeGSR.

All what has been said above is what I was gonna say.

One clue to the hose not beeing correct is the "SAE" you see printed on the tube. Society of Automotive Enginneers, is specifically American, back from the day when didnt think to say was American.
            AS long as is rated for gas service, it will be okay, just need the hose clamps. If try to get a Suzuki stock hose for that, it comes in bulk length package, loke a meter long, and as such is expensive. Same for thing for such as the vaccum line and the vent lines. Maybe can find a place that supplys metric sizes if need more.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

two tricks about removing tank (not in manaul):
              -after removing bolts from back of tank, prop the back end up some so give some clearnece to get fingers in under the tank to work on those lines.
              - immeadailty after removing tank, take off the round rubber cushions from the frame mounting points, and store them somewhere with other parts. Do this before they fall off later and roll to some hiding place so cant be found with hours of searching.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

your fuel hose looks quite long although it might be just the pic but as a word of warning, I had fuel starvation problems with a long hose first kinking and then I suspect rising high under the tank causing air locks.

1982 GS550Ez, 1980 Yam RD350LC 4L0, 1980 Yam DT175,
                1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
                London UK

Comment

Hi folks,

I got the carbs and tank back on and working. I didn't want to take the carbs out again to replace a hose that works but after a lazy oopsies (put a tank that had re-rusted on) I'm gonna have them off again. Based on looseness I suspect this line is 5/16" and not 1/4" ID so I'll try to get the tighter stuff on.

Comment

Z1 Enterprises and others stock the correct stuff.... You can replace the line with the carbs in place but it's not easy.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

It needs to be 7mm
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                      X