intermittent ticking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intermittent ticking?

this does not relate to the intermittent skip i had a while back lol that has been long gone.

have an intermittent tick that i can pinpoint to the left side of the motor i think somewhere in the vicinity of the camshaft area, it sounds like a small metallic ting, almost like an electrical tinging but im not entirely sure. my bike does run fine and smooth, i operate on all 4, and nothing electrical that i have hooked up is being problematic. i dont have my horn hooked up and the wires are taped up on the left side of the frame right around the same area but i dont think thats it.

i will have a video soon enough but it may not be heard the clearest, therefore i will mark each time you can hear the sound. i will say i was idling at about 950-1000 when i could actually hear it, once im idling at the proper 1100+~100 rpm i cant really hear the noise so it couldve been there all this time but then again im not sure.

video will be added to post soon!
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

950rpm is to slow if the noise disappears when the tick over is set at normal personally I don't see a problem ride and enjoy.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Probably just hearing a little valve tapping. Have valve clearances been checked ?

Mad
      83 GS750E
      2006 ZX14
      2004 KTM 450 EXC
      2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
        Probably just hearing a little valve tapping. Have valve clearances been checked ?

Mad

its been a while, nowhere near the service interval but i will probably be checking anyways within the month, took it to school today (hour 20 round trip) and bike was acting fine, sometimes it acts up in the low rpms but not enough to bother me as its not every single time im in those rpms, cruises at 70 just fine. the bike throws noises here and there but never affects how its riding. gonna hook a gopro up to the bike and put a mic right next to the engine and other areas to see if any sounds are alarming.

i guess the thing i still havent adjusted to is the fact my motor is right below me and exposed so i can hear all the sounds it makes versus a cars motor being enclosed and not able to be heard easily unless hood is open.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

My roommate's girlfriend used to ride on the back of my Honda frequently. Intermittently she would tickle me or just grab my schlong. I would scold her about how dangerous that was, to little effect.

Wait, what? Intermittent ticking? Never mind.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            My roommate's girlfriend used to ride on the back of my Honda frequently. Intermittently she would tickle me or just grab my schlong. I would scold her about how dangerous that was, to little effect.

Wait, what? Intermittent ticking? Never mind.
            i would not be complaining about that lol
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
              i would not be complaining about that lol
              See "It's Always Something," by R. Rosannadana.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                gonna hook a gopro up to the bike and put a mic right next to the engine and other areas to see if any sounds alarming.
                Fitting a camera/mic close to the engine on a air cooled engine will likely give you more to worry about you will hear noises you have not heard before. Ask me how I know.
                I would still trust my gs to go on long road trips no problem.
                The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                past bikes. RF900
                TL1000s
                Hayabusa
                gsx 750f x2
                197cc Francis Barnett
                various British nails

Comment

I had a similar ticking that would go away if I picked up the revs even just a little, I was convinced it was a top end noise to the point I removed the cam cover and checked the valve clearances, they were all spot on by the way..

As I started the bike it kicked back and the ticking was worse but still reduced and disappeared as the revs were raised but the noise was definitely coming from the starter clutch side of the engine.

I pulled the casing and this it what I found.

All 3 bolts had sheared but all came out easily.

As you can see the ends of the bolt have been rubbed away and the filings will be on the magnets in the flywheel. 2 bolts look to have been rattling around for a while as the edges have been worn smooth and the last one was just beginning to wear away.

Replacement bolts sourced from Nick at SPS, thanks Nick by the way.

I cleaned everything up, replaced the bolts then put the whole shooting match back on the bike and no more ticking.

A top tip for removing the flywheel is don't waste money on pullies or genuine Suzuki unobtanium special tools use the swingarm to frame spindle and as you tighten the nut, tap the end with a hammer and the flywheel will come off the tapered end of the crankshaft.

And yes before anyone askes they are safety crocs....
                  Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

I also had a ticking noise this summer that was intermittent. Then one day it got louder and the tach went wonky. Removed the tach cable and it had snapped, but was still engaging. I had overlooked lubricating it, and it had dried out.

Comment

Bobtail, I will be checking on this on my 1150 this winter. I've had an unfound and intermittent ticking in mine since 1999 and 29k miles. The starter clutch is one thing I haven't removed yet, although I did see a few marks on the ring from kickbacks.
                      The PO beat it, crashed it, and parked it long term with just 1200 miles 12 years before I bought it.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                        Bobtail, I will be checking on this on my 1150 this winter. I've had an unfound and intermittent ticking in mine since 1999 and 29k miles. The starter clutch is one thing I haven't removed yet, although I did see a few marks on the ring from kickbacks.
                        The PO beat it, crashed it, and parked it long term with just 1200 miles 12 years before I bought it.
                        Hey Glen, it's worth the time and effort to check the starter clutch bolts for piece of mind and it's a know problem with the GS engine.

Jeff
                        Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Thats the plan.
                          Short of pulling the engine apart, its the last thing to check. The bike came to me with a screw in a cylinder which ultimately bent two intake valves, and later I found a loose clutch hub nut and a missing missing thrust washer in the clutch basket that caused issues there. Each time I was sure I found the source of the ticking.....
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Cam walk? Each camshaft uses one of its cam cap/towers as a bearing thrust face to locate for each camshaft against side float. Because the thrust face is alloy and not shimmed with a hard metal shim, wear on this face allows the camshaft to 'walk' stepping left and right as it gets small side loads from the cam lobes running over the valve bucket/shims, knocking against the cam tower/cap. This causes a knocking or ticking sound that is evident at idle and is affected by engine temperature and even if the bike is idling upright or on the sidestand. As the RPM goes up the noise goes away.

Here is a youtube of camwalk. Does your engine sound like this? BTW it's annoying but not detrimental to performance of longevity. There are mods (adding a shim) that will eliminate it. Search the forum for "cam walk".

sigpicDarryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                            1982 GSX750S Katana
                            1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post
                              Cam walk? Each camshaft uses one of its cam cap/towers as a bearing thrust face to locate for each camshaft against side float. Because the thrust face is alloy and not shimmed with a hard metal shim, wear on this face allows the camshaft to 'walk' stepping left and right as it gets small side loads from the cam lobes running over the valve bucket/shims, knocking against the cam tower/cap. This causes a knocking or ticking sound that is evident at idle and is affected by engine temperature and even if the bike is idling upright or on the sidestand. As the RPM goes up the noise goes away.

Here is a youtube of camwalk. Does your engine sound like this? BTW it's annoying but not detrimental to performance of longevity. There are mods (adding a shim) that will eliminate it. Search the forum for "cam walk".

What a great explanation. I've never read exactly why and how it happens.
                              Thank you for that.

My 850 is approaching 60k miles and I still don't hear it I do however wear earplugs though. Maybe that's the simple fix here, Ian. Get some earplugs lol.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                              X