Late fall run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late fall run

After a couple of months (wow, where did that time go?) I finally managed to complete some work on the old '79 GS850.

The last few weeks in my part of the world have had very uninspiring weather. Low teens (celcius) and RDF. Yes, a few weeks of.

When I got out of work early today it was 18C and actually sunny! Normally by this time of year we have had a dusting of snow already and the bikes are put away in hibernation.

I knew it was time to go test the new tires.

Enjoy these times when they come along!

GS by the salt water:

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

Mind the fall leaves!:

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

Touched by the light:

Soaking up the last rays:

Loners by the bay:

Shadows are growing long:

Road to somewhere:

Final rest stop:

"So I'm gonna write my words on the face of today. And then they'll paint it"

2008 Honda CRF230L - Sold
    2004 Honda CB600F Hornet - Sold
    2015 Suzuki Vstrom DL650XT
    1979 Suzuki GS850GN
    2018 Honda Grom 125

Looks like an excellent day for a late fall ride. Nice photos.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Yep, looks really nice & enjoyable fall day, great scenery, nice lonely roads, great pictures. Then finish it off with a Pepsi from the Valley Lounge. Life seems good in your part of the world. Congrats.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

DD, nice pics of nice stock 850.
        nice pic of bike and road and scenery.

good that you found a good enough weather day, and made good use of it.
        one pic looks like you had some rain.

RDF will need some translation , really darn funky?

NL is abbreviation for Newfoundland….. or Newfoundland & Labrador?
        Last edited by Redman; 10-25-2021, 08:43 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Just for a little perspective, this is where Gander, NL is located. It's...... remote. Nice pics. Thanks for sharing your corner of the world with us.

Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

18C in late October? Spooky!
            Nice pics of what looks like a great ride.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. Sure was nice to get out and the 850 ran like a dream.

After 18C temps yesterday the wind shifted north and the temp went down to 2C overnight. Little bit of snow coming down this morning on the way to work! Supposed to have some more sun and temps in the high single/low double digits by the end of the week so the season may not be over quite yet!

The pepsi (pipsi it's often pronounced here, ha) at the end sure was nice and cold

RDF is rain drizzle fog. There were still some scattered showers as I made my way yesterday but then the fall sun would blaze through and everything sparkled. Very nice. NL is the province code for Newfoundland & Labrador.

On the map that Rich posted above, the dotted line at top right above the island portion of Newfoundland is the bottom part of Labrador. Back in September myself and three buddies drove VStroms up the west side of Newfoundland, crossed the Gulf by ferry to Labrador, ran west a little north of that dotted line into the province of Quebec, south down past that water circle you see top center (meteor crater, imagine that!) and down to Quebec city. We drove back to Newfoundland via New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. It was a crazy good run. Some interesting dirt parts, some great pavement and twistys through pine clad hills, 5300km total over 12 days. I would like to go back again on the Quebec side and do the same run just far enough north until the pavement ends and then turn around and come back, it was that good.

I look forward to getting past this COVID crap though it only caused minor issues for us during this trip

1979 Suzuki GS850GN
              2018 Honda Grom 125

Comment

It's funny how that map makes NL look bigger than the whole state of New York. You're making me want to get the necessary paperwork to ride up to Canada again. I haven't been up that way in at least 20 years.
                2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                82 gs1100L probably the next project
                1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                  It's funny how that map makes NL look bigger than the whole state of New York. You're making me want to get the necessary paperwork to ride up to Canada again. I haven't been up that way in at least 20 years.
                  Ain't the internet cool.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Eli: Yeah, Mercator projection sure builds in distortion. There is still a lot of territory to cover though and most of it is empty! We needed gas cans to bridge between fuel stops going across Labrador. Googly says 2019 New York state population was approx. 19.45 millions souls. Says Newfoundland & Lab 2019 population was about 522,000 and "About 94%... lives on the island of Newfoundland..., of whom more than half live on the Avalon Peninsula". The Avalon is the almost detached blob under Long Island in the pic Rich posted above.

(Maybe) Humorous story: A number of years ago we were taking the ferry across to Nova Scotia and I was checking out an immaculate 80s era Trans Am with Jersey plates while we waited to drive aboard. Got talking to the owner and asked how his trip to Newfoundland was. He said he came across only that morning and drove for miles and miles and miles and didn't see anything but rocks and trees and it scared the crap out of him. He turned around and headed back for the next ferry. He said he could have driven the same distance through New Jersey/New York and never left the city!

I guess it's all what you are used to. Big cities tend to scare the crap out of me but they sure are fun to visit!

1979 Suzuki GS850GN
                    2018 Honda Grom 125

Comment

How to pronounce PEPSI...pipsi, brewsky, Budweiser...It don't matter as long as nice & cold.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Long may your big jib draw, boys.

Caution, Stong Language. If you all aren't watching Letterkenny by now, well, Pitter Patter.

Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Rphillips: mmmm on the brewsky.

Rich: Scary that after 29yrs here I actually understood every bit of the overdone Newfunese in that video. But shoot man, I haven't got that far yet in Letterkenny! Well played. Back to chorin'

1979 Suzuki GS850GN
                          2018 Honda Grom 125

Comment

Originally posted by GSDoubleDyl View Post
                            After a couple of months (wow, where did that time go?) I finally managed to complete some work on the old '79 GS850.

The last few weeks in my part of the world have had very uninspiring weather. Low teens (celcius) and RDF. Yes, a few weeks of.

When I got out of work early today it was 18C and actually sunny! Normally by this time of year we have had a dusting of snow already and the bikes are put away in hibernation.

GS by the salt water:

Mind the fall leaves!:

Touched by the light:

Loners by the bay:

Road to somewhere:

Final rest stop:

https://www.flickr.com
                            These are beautiful photos, looks like your hard work paid off.

Comment

Originally posted by GSDoubleDyl View Post

GS by the salt water:

Mind the fall leaves!:

Touched by the light:

Loners by the bay:

Road to somewhere:

Final rest stop:

https://www.flickr.com
                              they all look good, but I offer thanks for that one. I don't recall the nearest town, (almost 20 years ago) but it reminded me of similar site on north shore of Nova Scotia. Only thing missing is the eagles: they were there n significant numbers.
                              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                              X