Waterproof gear recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterproof gear recommendations?

Specifically, I'd like warm waterproof boots but I'm not sure what to buy. An online search reveals several options but how does one choose??? Seems like most have good and bad reviews so I'm at a loss.

Also, it'd be great if they were somewhat professional looking, and black. Does such a thing exist?
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Opinions!? Look out!

I have two pair of supposedly waterproof boots. I wear a thin pair of cotton socks under medium to thick wool socks in either one depending on air temperatures. My feet are only about 9.5 and the boots come in 10 so it works out for me for socks. Both boots have given good service over the past 8-10 years with moderate use. Both have been through as much rain as you care to drive in. Both have remained mostly dry but maybe some dampness either from sweat and possibly some rain forced in from above or stitch lines. That's why I wear the wool socks which always retains warmth. Despite my jacket and pants claiming "waterproof" (Tourmaster and First Gear jacket/pant sets) I always put on light rubber rain gear if I'm expecting heavy rain. The Canadian climate I ride is cool enough that the extra rubber layer doesn't roast you but that might not work for more central or southern locations. A lot of time when water works it's way in it doesn't come from where you think but is forced in through or down pants or other seams from above.

Now that both boot sets are older I warm them by a heater and treat them with boot bees wax once per season.

Alpinestar Roam 2: Comfy for movement. Maybe had some water get through the middle flex section (above ankle front) during some crazy heavy rain but not enough to upset me. These are my main boots and I like them. Looks are a bit space age but I think they look OK under my textile riding pants. I find them a good all around boot.

Gaerne G-Adventure Boots: I think a much more technical style boot but have more support (stiff) for back country adventure riding. These boots did get wet during one ride in torrential heavy rain when I did not wear rubber gear over my First Gear suit. I haven't determined if the boots leaked or the pants. It was a tail-end of Eastern-seaboard hurricane rain when we were out in the back woods so it's hard to lay blame....

Bottom line for you in Michigan, I offer the Alpinestars as a possible suggestion for an all-around boot.
    "So I'm gonna write my words on the face of today. And then they'll paint it"

2008 Honda CRF230L - Sold
    2004 Honda CB600F Hornet - Sold
    2015 Suzuki Vstrom DL650XT
    1979 Suzuki GS850GN
    2018 Honda Grom 125

Comment

My TCX boots are pretty waterproof; went for two full days in the downpours while in Michigan this summer and feet were still dry when I got the hotel each night
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        My TCX boots are pretty waterproof; went for two full days in the downpours while in Michigan this summer and feet were still dry when I got the hotel each night
        But how warm/uncomfortable are they during summer rides?
        Seems like it is a trade off from my experience that if they are breathable for summer rides, then they might let water in.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I like my Forma boots. They are waterproof and lightweight.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
            But how warm/uncomfortable are they during summer rides?
            Seems like it is a trade off from my experience that if they are breathable for summer rides, then they might let water in.
            I have not had any more issues wearing them then I do with my regular boots
            sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

+1 for the TCX boots. Have been perfectly waterproof for me since I bought them in December 2018. I ride them year round. Personally don't find them too hot in the summer. They also seem to keep my feet pretty warm on all but the coldest rides.

TCX X-Five EVO Gore-Tex Boots | 31% ($90.00) Off! - RevZilla

If I know it's going to be a very cold day, I'll stick a pair of these to my socks before I head out. Work pretty well.

HotHands 9 Hour Adhesive Foot Warmers | 5 Pair Pack - Walmart.com

I used to have Gerbings heated insoles for real cold days. But they wore out and I switched to the HotHands method. Haven't missed the Gerbings heated insoles yet.

Good luck!
              Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
              Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by ferdston View Post
                I like my Forma boots. They are waterproof and lightweight.
                Love mine too!....
                Since when does the post have to be 15 characters? Up from 10?
                No signature

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                  +1 for the TCX boots. Have been perfectly waterproof for me since I bought them in December 2018. I ride them year round. Personally don't find them too hot in the summer. They also seem to keep my feet pretty warm on all but the coldest rides.

TCX X-Five EVO Gore-Tex Boots | 31% ($90.00) Off! - RevZilla

If I know it's going to be a very cold day, I'll stick a pair of these to my socks before I head out. Work pretty well.

HotHands 9 Hour Adhesive Foot Warmers | 5 Pair Pack - Walmart.com

I used to have Gerbings heated insoles for real cold days. But they wore out and I switched to the HotHands method. Haven't missed the Gerbings heated insoles yet.

Good luck!
                  The link for the boots show they are out of stock on all the popular sizes and not going to be re-stocked. Bummer!

+1 on the foot warmers. Used them a lot last winter for record snowfall removal.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

My old Alpinestar goretex have worked well here on Vancouver Island. I'm not a sweaty guy so I wear them in summer too. never tried safety toed gumboots..it's the gearshift eh?
                    Wear winter socks when trying on. Toe-warmers mentioned are a help. Toewarmers work in gloves too.

In Raingear, its all about your azcrack on the seat puddle. Motorcycle pants wear out there so does rubber type but it's cheaper to replace... real rubber raingear is your best bet if you are really going to be OUT THERE. It can be quite thin and is an added wind/rain barrier even over a MC suit (see "evaporative") but a MC jacket mostly works (pants less so -azcrack)for say- 2hours. Mine have "waterproof breathable liners"- ok BUT the outershell gets heavier,stiffer and somewhat chills in evaporative circumstances. You can spray suits with tent waterproofing that helps for awhile...

Comment

The link for the boots show they are out of stock on all the popular sizes and not going to be re-stocked. Bummer!

+1 on the foot warmers. Used them a lot last winter for record snowfall removal.
                      I ordered my last pair of TCX boots directly from TCX for a good price
                      sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Looks like they've been updated: TCX X-Five.4 Gore-Tex Boots - RevZilla
                        Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                        Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Still out of stock on the most popular sizes and at $289 I said geeezzzz!

I didn't mind the discounted price of 199.99, but I puckered a little at the full price.
                          Last edited by alke46; 10-27-2021, 11:49 AM.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

For waterproof gear I have Scott raingear for when I'm wearing my leathers. This stuff works great and is breathable

But if you are doing any long distance touring Klim gear is the stuff to get. Yes, it's expensive. D30 armour and waterproof and comfortable.
                            KLIM Motorcycle is a global leader in premium, high-performance motorcycle gear covering all the important aspects of comfort and safety on your next street adventure.
                            No signature

Comment

Personally I would never buy boots with a zipper again...they always fail.
                              No signature

Comment

Working...
                              X