Air Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Forks

Seems that I remember many years ago buying a kit that tied both forks together so that you had only one valve to add air. I don't remember who made it. Does anyone know if there is a kit like this still available? TIA.
    Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
    2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Honda 250 Rebel
    1984 Honda Nighthawk S CB700SC
    1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Some GSes had tubes that tied the forks together. One that I know of was the 1100E.

An alternative is to replace your springs, which are probably worn out anyway, with stronger springs that will hold the weight without any additional air. Sonic Springs is one source. Progressive and Racetech are a couple more. Sonic has straight-rate springs that work very well. New springs and some fresh 10w oil changed my forks considerably.

Comment

Yeah, replacing the springs is a far better solution. Adjustable air pressure sounds like a good idea, but...it's not.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GZ View Post
        Seems that I remember many years ago buying a kit that tied both forks together so that you had only one valve to add air. I don't remember who made it. Does anyone know if there is a kit like this still available? TIA.
        If you still insist on doing it, it can be done with hardware store parts. A couple of suitable pipe(brass or some such) fittings & some PTFE hose and a Schrader valve to fill with. Easy Peasy!

My rig in the '70s even had a small gauge included that you could watch climb when you applied the brakes!
        Last edited by slayer61; 10-29-2021, 11:24 AM.
        Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
        Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Yep, you're right, there sure was an after mkt. kit for this, I put one on a GS1000. But been too long, don't have a clue who may have made it. Mine was pretty crude, a brass tee with a Schrader valve & 2 short lines with couplings to screw on to each existing Schrader valve.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The 83-85 GS750/700 has air forks tied together with one valve. I plugged the holes in mine and put Sonic springs in.
            Like previously said, air forks and brake activated anti-dive sound good but really don't work great.

Mad
            83 GS750E
            2006 ZX14
            2004 KTM 450 EXC
            2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Not worth the bother, honestly.
              A few years ago I was really taken with the idea of re-instating the air forks on the GS850, because I'd fitted a set of GS1000 forks with air adjustment.
              I McGuyvered an air linkage just to see how well the idea would work, as I rapidly found that individual unlinked air forks weren't a great idea.
              After several months of battling leakage issues I gave up with the idea. They worked well, but I could never get to the stage that I only had to check the forks once a week at most, unlike the air shocks on the rear, which quite happily go for a month before losing about four psi.
              Anyway, I replaced the springs with new heavier duty progressives (can't get straight rate springs here for a sensible price) and DIYd a couple of pre-load devices on the top of the fork legs in imitation of the original GS850 adjusters.
              This combination works bloody well, never have to re-adjust them once set and it's handling well, even with the fairing and everything else on it.
              Last edited by Grimly; 10-29-2021, 09:16 PM.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I had thought about piecing something together but didn't know if the caps were metric or not. I also was too lazy to try and get all the pieces rounded up. I was hoping for a kit. I spoke with Progressive and they said that it would be better to go with new springs and no air.

What weight oil is recommended for the forks? I have also heard to just use ATF. Expected load would run about 250 to 300 lbs.
                Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Honda 250 Rebel
                1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

I used an old bottle of Spectro 10W fork oil that had been kicking around for years. It seems to be working fine.
                  Suzuki, back in the day, recommended a 50/50 mix of engine oil and ATF for forks.
                  On my XJ, I filled them with 5w40 engine oil.
                  Just about anything works, as long as it's not too far out there.
                  ---- Dave
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

... but didn't know if the caps were metric or not.
                    You're kidding, right?

What weight oil is recommended for the forks? I have also heard to just use ATF. Expected load would run about 250 to 300 lbs.
                    Which ATF? They are not all the same viscosity, so you may as well use a new product that has only been available for 30-40 years or so, ... FORK OIL. With proper-strength springs and the proper amount of oil, 10w oil should be fine.

Comment

Being that it is a Japanese bike I would naturally assume that they were metric. You know what they say about ASSUME. I have no experience with air fittings so I didn't know if they made metric fittings. Why do you ask if I am kidding?

I heard to use ATF a long time ago.

Due to life and health issues it probably has been about 15 years since I was last active in motorcycles. I am having to get back up to speed.
                      Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
                      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1997 Honda 250 Rebel
                      1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

...I have no experience with air fittings so I didn't know if they made metric fittings. Why do you ask if I am kidding?
                        The USA, Myanmar and Liberia are the only countries in the world not on the metric system. Air fittings are not unknown in the other 192.

I heard to use ATF a long time ago...
                        ATF will work ok. The problem comes if you decide you want a little more damping, or a little less. At that point it's hard to figure out what to put in.
                        ATF also tends to be a little light if you've gone to better springs. If you're just doing touring/commuting and not riding very aggressively it shouldn't be too bad.
                        Real fork oil isn't that expensive though, unless the budget's really tight that's what I'd use.
                        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Being that it is a Japanese bike I would naturally assume that they were metric. You know what they say about ASSUME. .
                          You mean the fork caps themselves? Totally metric, but there's a gotcha. They're not all the same width even though they look it.
                          I had ASSUMED that I could use the GS850 adjustable caps on the 1000 forks, but no, they're wider by about a mm or so.
                          So, that started me on the merry dance of air forkery, and a total amount of forkery ensued...
                          ---- Dave

Comment

I had one on my 1000G. Just more points to leak really.... Swap out the springs
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

What is the best way to get the fork oil level right? I have seen tools to do it with but this is the 1st and I'm pretty sure the last time that I will be doing this. I don't want to spend the money for a tool that I'll never use again. That's the story of my life. I have all kinds of tools that were only used once or twice. I have one of those fancy measuring cups with all kinds of level markings. I believe it was specifically made for motorcycles. Would that be close enough?
                              Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
                              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                              1997 Honda 250 Rebel
                              1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

Working...
                              X