Air Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1100GZ View Post
    What is the best way to get the fork oil level right? I have seen tools to do it with but this is the 1st and I'm pretty sure the last time that I will be doing this. I don't want to spend the money for a tool that I'll never use again. That's the story of my life. I have all kinds of tools that were only used once or twice. I have one of those fancy measuring cups with all kinds of level markings. I believe it was specifically made for motorcycles. Would that be close enough?
    Here's the instructions from the Sonic Springs site:

It's important to set the level by measuring it directly, don't just pour in a measured volume.

That article outlines the turkey baster method, but you can just use ruler or tape measure too. Pour some oil in, stick the ruler in until it just touches the oil surface. Read the depth at the top of the fork tube. Add more oil if needed, or pour a little out if you overfilled.

FWIW I use the turkey baster. I bought a couple of the Motion Pro tools, they were handy but didn't last long.

Holler at me if you have any questions.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GZ View Post
      What is the best way to get the fork oil level right? I have seen tools to do it with but this is the 1st and I'm pretty sure the last time that I will be doing this. I don't want to spend the money for a tool that I'll never use again. That's the story of my life. I have all kinds of tools that were only used once or twice. I have one of those fancy measuring cups with all kinds of level markings. I believe it was specifically made for motorcycles. Would that be close enough?
      Get the top off a spray bottle. Just your ordinary household cleaner/windex type thing. Cut the straw so that it's the right depth you need (measured from the bottom of the threaded collar). hold the plastic screw cap on top of the fork leg with the fork leg held straight. Pump the excess oil into a rag. Finished.....

Over the years I have quite a collection of spray bottle tops with straws cut marked to different lengths..... It's way easier than trying to measure it with a dipstick.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks for the 2 tips. I'll have to try them. It's been so long since I have had to be resourceful. I have to start learning to think outside the box again.
        Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
        2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Honda 250 Rebel
        1984 Honda Nighthawk S CB700SC
        1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

I made a fork oil level slurper out of some clear tubing, an old wire hanger, and a "Mix-Mizer" syringe. The syringe is sold in home and farm stores for the purpose of measuring 2-cycle oil for chainsaws and such.

The tubing gets zip-tied to a length of wire hanger artfully shaped to attach to the syringe at the top, then straightened to act as a splint for the tubing. Zip ties of assorted colors go at the correct depths. Dump in some fork oil, insert to the red zip tie for, say, 140mm, and sluuuuurp out the excess.

Oh, and you measure fork oil level with the springs OUT, and the forks all the way collapsed. Getting this wrong has caused problems for people before...

10W fork oil is my go-to.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I had originally thought about the syringe and tube method but was a little worried about how consistent that might be. I need to find some solid tubing. That would be more accurate. The baster sounds like the perfect idea. I have a baster in the garage but it's way too big. I need to hit the stores up before the holidays go by. I'm fighting other battles now so the springs will have to wait.
            Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
            2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Honda 250 Rebel
            1984 Honda Nighthawk S CB700SC
            1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

Working...
            X