No announcement yet.

GS1000S self cancelling indicators not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, that's very interesting to know. Is that accessable without pulling the Speedo apart or would I need to dismantle it?

Comment

Hey man, I wouldn't think about taking anything apart "YET", like we've explained, the bike has got to be going appx. 15 mph for the self canceling to work. I'm thinking & hoping yours will be fine when you get it out on the road.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I have my fingers crossed but it's going to be a bit of a wait before I can get the bike back on the road again.
        The self cancelling did work but has not functioned properly for some time now. I can turn them on (both left and right) but have to manually turn them off.
        I'm hoping that as the contents was corrosion free, cleaning up the connector blocks may help.
        I'll report back once I get the chance to get her back on the road and test them again.

Comment

Actually, you can test it without leaving your garage. All it would take is an electric drill and a disk that is 3-4" in diameter. The rubber backing disk for a sandpaper disk works very nicely.

Put the bike on the centerstand, brace the front of the frame to raise the front wheel off the ground. Start the bike, get it to run nicely, then start a turn signal. Fire up the drill, hold the rubber wheel against the front tire, get it to spin. A 3" wheel in a drill that spins at 3000 RPM will get you about 20 mph, which is plenty to test the auto-cancel.

If the signals don't cancel, you can open the headlight bucket to find the reed switch wires. Those wires are black/red and blue/red, and will just have bullet connectors to the main harness. Disconnect them from the main harness, connect an ohmmeter to the switch leads, then rotate the front wheel. Does not have to be fast, just enough to see if the magnet in the speedo triggers the reed switch. If that works, your problem is in your control unit.

Comment

Working...
          X