Late, Late fall run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late, Late fall run?

We have been having some surprisingly good days here for late October. I think this is by far the latest I have been out on 2 wheels. Managed to get out for a nice spin for the afternoon with my neighbour before the 'trick or treaters' started making their rounds. The neighbour was riding an older 1200 Sportster and I was on the trusty GS850GN.

As the neighbour had to be back for family Sunday supper we only drove the 50km north to the salt water, stopped for a chat about bikes and other things and then headed back to town. The number of fellow bikers out enjoying the sunny fall day was impressive.

I decided to stay out a little longer and drove east of town and down to the lake to see how things looked. The road has recently been graded which is not as good as it sounds. It's definitely more level, but a lot of larger rocks have been hooked up and are scattered all over the road. I was overly concerned about scuffing my brand new Battleaxe BT46s but managed to get through it ok

This road to the lake also leads past a memorial site for the 1985 Arrow Air crash of a DC-8 charter flight that killed 248 US service personnel and 8 aircrew returning from peacekeeping duties in the Sinai. The crash remains the deadliest aviation accident on Canadian soil. I didn't live here when the accident happened but have spoken to a number of friends and co-workers who did and their testimony is quite haunting. A few who worked securing the accident site and recovery operations after the event remain forever marked by it.

The crash area remained a wide open slash for many years likely due to the furious post crash fire that sterilized the ground but after 36 years the vegetation has closed most of it in and it's a very natural and peaceful setting. It's a fitting place to reflect on the sacrifices of our service members as Remembrance Day approaches.

Lest we forget...

Road to the lake

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

View down the lake

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

Screaming Eagles not forgotten

Standing on guard

Peace

Race ya?

Old workhorses

The final couple photos were taken on the way home at the local North Atlantic Aviation Museum. They manage a fine little museum on a shoe string budget but the elements are taking a toll on the old F101 Voodoo and PBY Canso/Catalina.
    "So I'm gonna write my words on the face of today. And then they'll paint it"

2008 Honda CRF230L - Sold
    2004 Honda CB600F Hornet - Sold
    2015 Suzuki Vstrom DL650XT
    1979 Suzuki GS850GN
    2018 Honda Grom 125

Some lovely pics and sentiments, GS.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
    X