Clutch won't release after clutch change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch won't release after clutch change

So I changed the clutch springs, lamells and the other round things. Now it won't release the clutch at all.

I am somewhat confused about how the wire should be adjusted, and how I should position the rod thing coming out of the clutch cover.

What should I do to diagnose?
    GS1000G 1981

It appears my issue is a cable adjustment, I can get it to release by using vice grips. At least somewhat, but it having some resistance is natural when the oil is cold.
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Since you had clutch cover off, you need to reposition the lever arm on “that rod thing coming out of clutch cover”. When it’s located correctly, there is very little play before you feel resistance (push on arm with heel of hand)…adjust cable to suit this spot.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Since you had clutch cover off, you need to reposition the lever arm on “that rod thing coming out of clutch cover”. When it’s located correctly, there is very little play before you feel resistance (push on arm with heel of hand)…adjust cable to suit this spot.
        I first pushed it in with my foot and attached the cable, this, in retrospect unsuprisingly lead to a slipping clutch. Tried again, and now the clutch works as expected, but it doesn't completely disengage when all the way in. I am sure that will just be a tiny adjustment of the screws.

The bike feels a lot more precise on the clutch now.
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Hmm, shifting is not working. I couldnt get it to third. it seems the shift lever doesn't move where it should in the middle. First and second worked as expected. But third didn't. Standing on the centre stand I could get into all the gears, but the lever is acting wonky. Had to push it slightly down first. But it seems to be improving.

It has been standing still for a few months.

Maybe I should ride it for a trip.
          GS1000G 1981

Comment

Is the little arm, attached to the splined shaft coming out of the clutch cover, aligned properly? It should be angled slightly outward, away, from the eng.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

This may help.

1. find end of cable down at engine clutch area. it should make an angle of about 80 degrees with the lever on the clutch housing so that when it pulls it moves to and maybe slightly through 90 degrees. if NOT OK go to step 2. if OK go to step 3.
              2. if lever angle NOT right do this. go to clutch lever at handle bar - loosen lock nut on cable and turn cable socket into bracket toward lever. Loosens cable. now return to lower lever and adjust cable to get the 80 degree angle. There usually are a couple lock nuts holding the threaded end of cable in place. Loosen nuts and turn to get proper postion for 80 deg angle. Tighten nuts.
              3. Set lever slack. Loosen lock nut at lever. turn cable barrel into bracket until lever is "loose". now back out cable barrel until lever has a gap of 3-5 mm (1/8-3/16 inch) at the place where lever separates from the bracket. So - for the first little bit of lever travel there is NO tension in the cable. Tighten lock nut - don't overdo it or will twist off cable barrel.

assuming the clutch parts are ok - springs, plates etc the clutch should now work ok. If it wont release cleanly it may have warped plates or loose friction material. If you cannot achieve above adjustment it may have a wrong length cable on it.

Clutch cable. 5820045130
              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
              past bikes. RF900
              TL1000s
              Hayabusa
              gsx 750f x2
              197cc Francis Barnett
              various British nails

Comment

“Hmm, shifting is not working. I couldnt get it to third. it seems the shift lever doesn't move where it should in the middle.“

since you had clutch cover off, the shift mechanism might have fallen out of proper engagement…. Sector gears aren’t meshing correctly
                0BF5A1DB-1D62-450B-BA11-AC551A96856F.jpg
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

“Hmm, shifting is not working. I couldnt get it to third. it seems the shift lever doesn't move where it should in the middle.“

since you had clutch cover off, the shift mechanism might have fallen out of proper engagement…. Sector gears aren’t meshing correctly
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]63524[/ATTACH]
                  This I think is spot on, I went out again and it shifts fine, but I have to put the lever in the default position. Like first, second, push it down half an inch, third, push down half an inch, fourth and so on.

Is there another panel inside the gear lever panel to reveal this stuff? How do I get the shift mechanism out?
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                    This I think is spot on, I went out again and it shifts fine, but I have to put the lever in the default position. Like first, second, push it down half an inch, third, push down half an inch, fourth and so on.

Is there another panel inside the gear lever panel to reveal this stuff? How do I get the shift mechanism out?
                    Just to be clear, when you have difficulty with the shift lever, are you riding the bike, or is the bike standing still?

If it is standing still, you will not be able to move the shift lever by hand into each gear as smoothly as it does when you are riding the bike. The geartrain needs to be turning for everything to work smoothly.
                    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                      Just to be clear, when you have difficulty with the shift lever, are you riding the bike, or is the bike standing still?

If it is standing still, you will not be able to move the shift lever by hand into each gear as smoothly as it does when you are riding the bike. The geartrain needs to be turning for everything to work smoothly.
                      I have done both. If I push the lever normally it goes first, and second. Then for each shift I need to push it down a little and it goes into the next gear.
                      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Hmm, shifting is not working. I couldnt get it to third. it seems the shift lever doesn't move where it should in the middle.

since you had clutch cover off, the shift mechanism might have fallen out of proper engagement. Sector gears arent meshing correctly
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]63524[/ATTACH]
                        This picture, is this behind the clutch cover or on the other side?
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                        X