Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when should you replace your tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just when should you replace your tires?

No signature

So, are we buying this? I have two bikes with tires aging out right now.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I have no problem with the findings of the video. But that's just me. I'm sure there will be a lot of people that will disagree with me and err on the side of caution.

That's their prerogative.

I get the fact that we only have two wheels between us and a get off as opposed to cages that have at least 4, but in over 40+ years of riding, I've never had a blow out. I have had a few tires go down while riding due to picking up foreign objects but it has never caused a wreck.

I'm also known to be quite anal about checking air pressure in the tires before riding. Maybe this is why I've been so fortunate.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

In the limit, as t approaches ten years and you still have tread then your mileage is approaching zero so it will be fine 'cause your not riding anymore
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The video does a good explanation of the various factors that wear out rubber.

Over the years after changing tires on bicycles, passenger vehicles and trailers, etc. you do get accustomed as to when it's time.

My regular long rider (VStrom) wears out the tread every few years so I change them.

I just changed tires on the GS because they were on since the previous owner and I wanted new ones. Plus, they were dried out and starting to crack...

I try and be fairly OCD on checking pressure and tire condition. If they look good and are holding pressure, I use them. If they are approaching 7 years and/or show signs of degrading, I'll change them.

Fresh rubber sure feels better and is fairly cheap insurance
          "So I'm gonna write my words on the face of today. And then they'll paint it"

2008 Honda CRF230L - Sold
          2004 Honda CB600F Hornet - Sold
          2015 Suzuki Vstrom DL650XT
          1979 Suzuki GS850GN
          2018 Honda Grom 125

Comment

I think the critical bit is how they've been stored.... the same thing with helmets
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Personal preference, what ever "you" feel comfortable with. It sure feels good when you've used them up till the cords are showing thru, then put on a new set & it feels like you traded bikes. Didn't realize how bad the old ones were till the new ones were installed. I's a little surprised about what he said about the UV light. Back in the 50's & 60's most tires came from the factory wrapped with paper, to keep the light off of them. In the 70's and still today the mfg. quit doing anything to keep the light off of them, now it seems he's saying that would still probably be a good idea.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

to keep the light off of them
                I notice that RV owners cover their wheels when they leave them in the driveway...but my bike's under cover, so UV's not a worry.

Old tires seem to need a little more time to warm up, is all I think I notice. I think it's possible that really gummy tires "age" faster too or at least,feel like they do. But they wear faster too,so that cancels out.
                Ride a lot fast? buy gummy tires.
                Ride a lot slow? buy touring tires.
                Ride the bike not much?(or have a lot of bikes) Buy cheaper tires or decent touring tires and take it easy for the first while.

Comment

to keep the light off of them
                  I notice that RV owners cover their wheels when they leave them in the driveway...but my bike's under cover, so UV's not a worry.

Old tires seem to need a little more time to warm up, is all I think I notice. I think it's possible that really gummy tires "age" faster too or at least,feel like they do. But they wear faster too,so that cancels out.
                  Ride the bike not much?(or have a lot of bikes) Buy cheaper tires or decent touring tires and take it easy for the first while.

PS all that and still need to inspect tires (nasty suprises possible-dam Avon!), maintain pressure.

Comment

I don't know about you guys...but I've always liked buying new tires....it just means I'm out there riding. I remember one year I bought 11 new tires for my bikes...lol...it was a perfect storm of tire need.
                    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post

PS all that and still need to inspect tires (nasty suprises possible-dam Avon!), maintain pressure.
                      Yeah. We started covering our RV tires. We replaced them before an Alaska trip a few years ago due UV damage, they were pretty old, and it's really hurts replacing 7 (including spare) large truck tires when they're only about 25% worn. Hurts less than being stranded in Moose Nut Gap, Yukon.
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

trev, back in the early 80's, I did the same thing, I'd make a bike pymt., & buy a new rear every month...Gosh these birthdays have really changed things a lot.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

My Shinkos lasted me 15,000 km and probably had another 5k or more on them, but they felt like I was riding on hard plastic, especially in the wet. Yesterday I had my first long, backcountry ride on the Bridgestone Battlax and they’re much more grippy.
                          1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
                            My Shinkos lasted me 15,000 km and probably had another 5k or more on them, but they felt like I was riding on hard plastic, especially in the wet. Yesterday I had my first long, backcountry ride on the Bridgestone Battlax and they’re much more grippy.
                            15,000kms with another 5k???????????????? Wow!!!
                            I've never got more than 12,000kms out of a tire....I find that out of this world. How old were they?
                            No signature

Comment

I've had over 10,000 miles out of the Avons before.... Don't usually have to deal with wet
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X