Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when should you replace your tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trevor View Post
    15,000kms with another 5k???????????????? Wow!!!
    I've never got more than 12,000kms out of a tire....I find that out of this world. How old were they?
    They were Shinko 712, https://fortnine.ca/en/shinko-712-rear-tire, installed in April 2018. They don’t have wear bars, but I definitely had the requisite 2.5 mm of tread depth remaining. But I’ve never really liked the feel of the Shinkos, so decided now was the time.
    1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      I've had over 10,000 miles out of the Avons before.... Don't usually have to deal with wet
      That’s 16,000 km, so about right by my standards as well.
      1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
        I don't know about you guys...but I've always liked buying new tires....it just means I'm out there riding. I remember one year I bought 11 new tires for my bikes...lol...it was a perfect storm of tire need.
        Several times, my wife has asked, "Wait, didn't you just get motorcycle tires a few weeks ago?"

"Why yes, yes I did. But those were for a different bike."

"Oh."

"And I'll need tires for the other, other bike in a few weeks, too."

"Ah."

Fortunately, motorcycles, motorcycle parts, motorcycle tires, and the money involved are firmly in the "stuff she doesn't want to know or care about" category.

Not sure what my yearly rubber record was, but a typically active year includes two or three sets on the KLR, one set on the GS (maybe two), and at least two sets on the V-Strom (since replaced with an FJ-09, which had a new set and now probably needs a front).

One of the things that really shocks people who aren't familiar with motorcycles is how fast the damn tires wear out. I mean, the tires on a big 'ol heavy car last 80,000 miles... a motorcycle tire that makes 8,000 is exceptional.
        Last edited by bwringer; 11-09-2021, 06:35 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          One of the things that really shocks people who aren't familiar with motorcycles is how fast the damn tires wear out. I mean, the tires on a big 'ol heavy car last 80,000 miles... a motorcycle tire that makes 8,000 is exceptional.
          I’ve read that some H-D riders use car tires on their long distance machines. It must make for exciting cornering.

Using a car tire on the back of a motorcycle is popular among some riders, and considered stupid and unsafe by others. The increased stra...
          1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
            I’ve read that some H-D riders use car tires on their long distance machines. It must make for exciting cornering.

https://www.hdforums.com/how-tos/a/h...he-rear-416176

Yeah, quite a few motorcycle owner communities have a fair percentage of members who are "darksiding". Gold Wing, V-Strom, FJR, lots of large cruisers and cruiser-based tourers, etc.

It's always a great way to spark an argument.

Not for me, but I think it has been pretty clearly proven to work well enough. You do indeed get incredible mileage, grip in various conditions is fine (one rider I know of uses a winter car tire, and reports that it works great in the snow) and it changes handling less than most would think.

I've mounted lots of motorcycle tires for myself and friends, but never a car tire on a motorcycle. However, if someone wanted to try this I wouldn't turn them down.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Remember the old Donut spare car tires, they looked like a motorcycle tire and said not to exceed 50mph & temporary use only. A few times folks brought one into our local bike shop & wanted them to mount it on a motorcycle wheel, they always refused. I can't imagine how it would have worked.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Yeah, quite a few motorcycle owner communities have a fair percentage of members who are "darksiding". Gold Wing, V-Strom, FJR, lots of large cruisers and cruiser-based tourers, etc.

It's always a great way to spark an argument.

Not for me, but I think it has been pretty clearly proven to work well enough. You do indeed get incredible mileage, grip in various conditions is fine (one rider I know of uses a winter car tire, and reports that it works great in the snow) and it changes handling less than most would think.

I've mounted lots of motorcycle tires for myself and friends, but never a car tire on a motorcycle. However, if someone wanted to try this I wouldn't turn them down.
                I darksided the 850 last year and kept that tyre on for six months or so. Only reason I took it back off was the gear reduction resulting from it. If I could easily fit the Cavalcade pumpkin and matching wheel, it will be back on.
                However, during the time it was on, it accelerated like ordure from a shovel and handled damned well.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  Remember the old Donut spare car tires, they looked like a motorcycle tire and said not to exceed 50mph & temporary use only. A few times folks brought one into our local bike shop & wanted them to mount it on a motorcycle wheel, they always refused. I can't imagine how it would have worked.
                  That pops up from time to time, and if those tyres had a better speed rating and deeper tread, they'd be a good fit for a lot of skinny wheels. However, I've pointed out to several people that their neck isn't worth the risk. I don't believe for a moment they'd be an immediate danger, considering they'd be fitted as a spare to a car that might be carrying a family of four and can you imagine the legal mess resulting from that? However, I have serious concerns over how long they'd last at normal cruising speed and cornering loads on a touring bike.
                  Not worth the risk, especially in Europe, where good quality 135/15" normal radial car tyres are available
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                  X