82 GS1100GL New Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100GL New Member

Just picked up this GS1100GL loaded with all the Vetter stuff which came of as soon as I got it in the garage the bike was owned by a heavy smoker and is stinking up ny garage. Wasn't quit sure which way to go with this bike as I normally restore to stock condition. I will be keeping it pretty much stock except running a 4 into 1 and different bars. Kinda a spur of the moment buy. Bike has 11,000 miles or for and needs some work from sitting the last 3-4 years. Currently looking at replacing all the parts that came off the bike when they put then Vetter stuff on. The rear grab rail has been hard to find and I have an add in the wanted section. Here it is in current form.
    Attached Files

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome to TheGSR.
      THanks for introduction and the picture.

82 shaft drive.
      At some point would be good to learn about the hub in the rear wheel (is called joint assembly on the microfische_).

Maybe check the date on that rear tire, could be quite old (I havent seen a RaisedWhiteLetter tire in a long time).

Do post with more of your adventure with the 1100.

And..Ah, you could tell us about the other bike we see there, and any others.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome to the forum sir. I must say, I'm jealous of your recent purchase
        Have fun!

Originally posted by craz1 View Post
        Just picked up this GS1100GL loaded with all the Vetter stuff which came of as soon as I got it in the garage the bike was owned by a heavy smoker and is stinking up ny garage. Wasn't quit sure which way to go with this bike as I normally restore to stock condition. I will be keeping it pretty much stock except running a 4 into 1 and different bars. Kinda a spur of the moment buy. Bike has 11,000 miles or for and needs some work from sitting the last 3-4 years. Currently looking at replacing all the parts that came off the bike when they put then Vetter stuff on. The rear grab rail has been hard to find and I have an add in the wanted section. Here it is in current form.
        Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
        1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

I picked the bike up in Federal Way Wa 10 days ago. It will get a complete overhaul including tires. Even though it only has 11,000 miles the engine will come out and gone through. Thats my normal procedure. This is only my 2nd Suzuki. The other was a 2002 GSXR1000 that had spun a rod bearing. I bought the bike for 700 and ended up putting another 3500 into it.

So how do you post larger pictures.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by craz1; 11-03-2021, 07:47 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=So how do you post larger pictures.[/QUOTE]

I upload my photos to imgur and then paste a copy of the coded link. If you don't have an account, start one and then add your photos to your account. You can then look at your images in an album. When you see your whole list of photos, check the autoresize to the message board size, click on an image, and copy the BBCode. Once you have that, you paste that code in the forum and your picture will appear when you post. My explanation sounds complicated, but it is really pretty easy.

I (and many others) do like to see full sized photos.

Awesome bike - I look forward to seeing your progress.
            81 GS650GL

Comment

Also - Welcome.
              81 GS650GL

Comment

I second what adamdaz wrote. IMGUR is a great recourse for posting pics on here. It's what I use regularly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63534[/ATTACH]I picked the bike up in Federal Way Wa 10 days ago. It will get a complete overhaul including tires. Even though it only has 11,000 miles the engine will come out and gone through. Thats my normal procedure. This is only my 2nd Suzuki. The other was a 2002 GSXR1000 that had spun a rod bearing. I bought the bike for 700 and ended up putting another 3500 into it.

So how do you post larger pictures.
                Originally posted by adamdaz View Post
                I upload my photos to imgur and then paste a copy of the coded link. If you don't have an account, start one and then add your photos to your account. You can then look at your images in an album. When you see your whole list of photos, check the autoresize to the message board size, click on an image, and copy the BBCode. Once you have that, you paste that code in the forum and your picture will appear when you post. My explanation sounds complicated, but it is really pretty easy.

I (and many others) do like to see full sized photos.

Awesome bike - I look forward to seeing your progress.
                Ryan

Comment

Welcome craz, & keep up the good work. Love seeing these old GS's kept going. On this old GS you won't need to worry about the rod bearings like you did on the newer 2002 gsxr. Those old roller bearings just 'almost never" gave a problem.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                    Welcome craz, & keep up the good work. Love seeing these old GS's kept going. On this old GS you won't need to worry about the rod bearings like you did on the newer 2002 gsxr. Those old roller bearings just 'almost never" gave a problem.
                    Yes the roller cranks are pretty tough. Suzuki followed Kawasaki on the GS. I have restored 6 Z1900 and had only 2 cranks that needed work

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I see you come from one of the most beautiful places in the entire state of Idaho.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                        Welcome to the forum. I see you come from one of the most beautiful places in the entire state of Idaho.
                        That is supposed to be a secret.

Comment

Def not a secret. At least not here in the NW, where I live

Oops, what I mean is ssssshhhhh

That is supposed to be a secret.
                          Ryan

Comment

Welcome! And yes, definitely inspect the rear spline drive. If it's gold in color, remove it and inspect the teeth on the inside for wear. Then look for a steel one to replace it.
                            Current Bikes:
                            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Thanks for the info on the rear drive. It will be looked at. Been busy pulling the thing apart. Does anyone have a photo of the Vin tag. I would like to have one made but the one on this bike is faded to white. I have the tank soaking to remove what little there is of rust then off to the painters. I recently restored a CB550 and liked the color so im doing the GS1100GL in the same color scheme. Also I have just repaired the unobtainable fuel sensor. If anyone is interested let me know.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X