Stator Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Cover

Well I replaced the stator and went to put the cover back on and this is where I had a problem. Every time I try to replace the cover the magnet grabs the cover and knocks the gasket out off wack. I need to tack the gasket down somehow or maybe get some studs. Getting studs might be an issue. All they had at the parts store was gasket maker which isn't tacky enough. What have you guys done to solve this issue or am I just being a klutz? TIA
    Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
    2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Honda 250 Rebel
    1984 Honda Nighthawk S CB700SC
    1973 Yamaha RT3 360

I used oil on crankcase side and stuck gasket to there.
    beware screw positioning…some are longer and will bottom out if in wrong spot.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

When I took mine off I made a cardboard template of the cover and poked the screws in their respective positions. Makes it a lot easier than trying to figure out which goes where.

Comment

I used a pizza box and poked holes in the top as a template for the screws. My problem is that there isn't anyway to get a good grip on the side cover to control it. Once you get close to the rotor it gets pulled from my finger tips and then the gasket gets all messed up. Seems the part of the gasket that usually gets messed up is in the area of the bottom half. I wasn't having any luck getting the gasket back in place with the cover on. I had a light layer of motor oil holding the gasket in place but it's not up to keeping it from getting knocked off. I need something that will stand up a little better and I don't think gasket maker will be good enough.
        Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Honda 250 Rebel
        1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GZ View Post
          I used a pizza box and poked holes in the top as a template for the screws. My problem is that there isn't anyway to get a good grip on the side cover to control it. Once you get close to the rotor it gets pulled from my finger tips and then the gasket gets all messed up. Seems the part of the gasket that usually gets messed up is in the area of the bottom half. I wasn't having any luck getting the gasket back in place with the cover on. I had a light layer of motor oil holding the gasket in place but it's not up to keeping it from getting knocked off. I need something that will stand up a little better and I don't think gasket maker will be good enough.
          I use 4 long M6 bolts with atleast a a15 mm shank at corners as guides thru cover and gasket thread bolts guide gasket to crank case and wires through gap starter side as i bring cover closer and onto dowl pin and intermediate gear shaft put bolts into correct holes as lenth differs as stated remove 4 guide bolts and torque down all screws in sequence
          1978GS1000E
          GSX600R K1

Comment

I use Gasgachinch to stick the gasket to the cover.
            That keeps the gasket in place while I manuver the cover into place
            Old school, and effective
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I was trying to remember that name. Seems like I remember using Gasgacinch many moons ago. They didn't have any at the parts store and I'm trying to keep from ordering anything. I'd like to get it back together quickly.

I had thought about using bolts but I don't have a way to cut the heads off or grind them down. The only place that I can think of to get studs around here is across town.

There looks like a hole for another "pin" on the other side of the cover. There wasn't one there when I took it apart. PO had obviously replaced stator before so I checked the parts diagram. It only showed one. 2 would make the job easier.
              Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1997 Honda 250 Rebel
              1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

Grease or some permatex (the non hardening stuff) to hold it to the cover works for me....
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I found some 5 inch long threaded rod that I'm going to use. That should help prevent knocking the gasket out of place and help with feeding the wires. I also have Gasgacinch on the way to tack the gasket in place.
                  Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
                  1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1997 Honda 250 Rebel
                  1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

Working...
                  X