New 220hp 690cc Twin Wankel Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 220hp 690cc Twin Wankel Engine

Anyone else read about this? Here's the article.
    The extraordinary Crighton CR700W extracts an incredible 220 horsepower from a 690cc twin-rotor Wankel engine, and weighs just 129.5 kg (285.5 lb) dry for a MotoGP-level power-to-weight ratio. Its maker believes it could be the final word in combustion bikes.

This thing sounds like a beast.

Last edited by RustyTank; 11-04-2021, 12:21 AM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Didn't a Norton late 70s or 80s have a rotary.?
    Always wanted to try an rx7 to feel the powerband.

Apparently its a tech dead end now though
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

The guy behind the Norton your thinking of is behind THIS bike in the article.

"Brian Crighton pioneered the use of twin-rotor Wankel motors in race bikes in the late 1980s. Working as a maintenance tech at Norton, he took a 85-hp, 588cc motor from a crashed Norton Commander police bike, and hotted it up into a 140-hp fire-breather with almost no initial support from the factory. When coupled with a Spondon frame, this twin-rotor beast ran rampant through several British championships, including the 750cc Supercup, British F1 and British Superbike championships, until it was banned from competition."

Open the link to the article and scroll to the bottom. There's a little 2 min video, Brian Crighton speaks a bit about it.

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
      Didn't a Norton late 70s or 80s have a rotary.?
      Always wanted to try an rx7 to feel the powerband.

Apparently its a tech dead end now though
      Ryan

Comment

I have been watching the development of a new generation of performance rotary's that has rewritten how a rotary works. I wonder if this engine is that new tech. The bike sounds like a sweet ride.
        1981 GS1100E
        1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by metalfab View Post
          I have been watching the development of a new generation of performance rotary's that has rewritten how a rotary works. I wonder if this engine is that new tech. The bike sounds like a sweet ride.
          It certainly does doesn't it? And yeah, sounds like it may be the same wankel development you've been reading about. I mean, how many could there be???

Crighton claims that the engine has only three moving parts.
          Also, here's a link to Crighton motorcycles home page, https://www.crightonmotorcycles.com/
          The site says they're making only 25 of these bikes at roughly $100k a bike.
          Last edited by RustyTank; 11-04-2021, 10:22 AM.
          Ryan

Comment

Sweet video.....I'd love to see one of these in person just to hear the sound vs. the other bikes on a track.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Will it get fuel mileage along the awful scale of the RX8? Rotaries are thirsty.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                Will it get fuel mileage along the awful scale of the RX8? Rotaries are thirsty.
                Being sold as weekend trackday toys, what owner will care about fuel consumption?
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

About thirsty bikes, there's scuttlebutt about Motogp moving into low emission fuels. Plus a realistic look at the pollution level of electric vehicles, even for racing.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    Being sold as weekend trackday toys, what owner will care about fuel consumption?
                    I'd guess anyone doing racing where an extra pit stop means irretrievable time loss.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

None.............
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hmmn ... since these won't be in F1 cars, maybe so. That said, fuel consumption in race vehicles is a valid issue in some forms of motorsport.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

That was my deal killer for the rotary the first time around. You would need a drum sized tank to get a decent touring range.

It seems counterintuitive to me. It looks it should be more efficient--continuous motion in the same direction, fewer parts and less surface for friction losses. But mileage numbers were in two stroke territory.
                          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I'd guess anyone doing racing where an extra pit stop means irretrievable time loss.
                            Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            None.............
                            Hmmn ... since these won't be in F1 cars, maybe so. That said, fuel consumption in race vehicles is a valid issue in some forms of motorsport.

I think you're all correct. Some people won't care because of it's wow/toy factor and those who are seriously into racing/fuel consumption, etc., are going to see that as a possible issue...if it IS an issue, which is pure conjecture at this point.

I'm known as "the diplomate" in my home
                            Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                              That was my deal killer for the rotary the first time around. You would need a drum sized tank to get a decent touring range.
                              It seems counterintuitive to me. It looks it should be more efficient--continuous motion in the same direction, fewer parts and less surface for friction losses. But mileage numbers were in two stroke territory.
                              Interesting info. I had no idea rotary engine's were so fuel inefficient. Does the same go for bigger rotary engines in cars?
                              Ryan

Comment

Working...
                              X