Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gs550t with likely dead starter - preferred replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550t with likely dead starter - preferred replacement?

The starter motor on my '81 GS550T is likely dead. After several months of delays I finally put it all back together and hit the start button. First time it slowly cranked a few revs, the maybe one, now none...just the thunk of the solenoid activating.

The battery is new and charged, so I assume the starter motor has failed. I had it out for other purposes, but did not open it up to see if all was well. I'll double check the ignition system tonight with a car battery (car not running).

Assuming it is a dead starter motor, this raises two questions:
    1. Service manual says cam chain tensioner has to come out, but that seems buried under the carbs. Do the carbs have to come out first, then cam chain, then starter?
    2. If I'm not able to rebuild, is there a decent aftermarket starter motor for these bikes? if not, I'll search ebay/forums.

Thanks,

Steve

PXL_20211104_171418485.jpg
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
    The starter motor on my '81 GS550T is likely dead. After several months of delays I finally put it all back together and hit the start button. First time it slowly cranked a few revs, the maybe one, now none...just the thunk of the solenoid activating.

The battery is new and charged, so I assume the starter motor has failed. I had it out for other purposes, but did not open it up to see if all was well. I'll double check the ignition system tonight with a car battery (car not running).

Assuming it is a dead starter motor, this raises two questions:
    1. Service manual says cam chain tensioner has to come out, but that seems buried under the carbs. Do the carbs have to come out first, then cam chain, then starter?
    2. If I'm not able to rebuild, is there a decent aftermarket starter motor for these bikes? if not, I'll search ebay/forums.

Thanks,

Steve

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63538[/ATTACH]
    1. If you can get a tool on the bolt on the inboard side of the cover enough to turn it it get it out, remove the cover. Then remove the thick wire from the solenoid attached to the lug on the starter motor, then you have to get a deep socket (10mm?) on the bolt (or probably 2) that mounts the rear of the starter motor to the top engine case, and I can't remember if there's 1 or 2 bolts, or maybe none near the outside end of the starter motor. Then to have push the starter motor toward the right side of the bike, lift up the back of the starter motor and move it away from the stator, up and out. After you've busted every knuckle on both hands and exhausted your entire vocabulary of swear word and even invented some new ones, to discover that that isn't possible because the cam chain tensioner is in the way, then you can remove the carbs, and then the cam chain tensioner.

Or maybe you'll be lucky and yours is one of the models where it is possible. I believe I have read of someone doing it, just don't remember which model.

2. We have a small local electric motor shop here that makes quick work of things like this. If it isn't possible, used ones pop up on ebay all the time. Lots of models share starter motors. Check cross compatibility.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Generally, the brushes are just worn out.
      Clean up the commutator, drop in a new set of brushes, and Bob's your uncle.
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

It could be just the brushes in the motor.
        Have you checked the condition of the main earth cable from the case to battery?
        If you have a voltmeter put it between the case and battery when cranking.
        Should be almost nothing.
        Do the same with the supply cable and just because the solenoid is pulling in doesn't mean the contacts are good.
        It's possible to extract the motor on the 850 without removing carbs or tensioner.
        Bigger motor more room.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          After you've busted every knuckle on both hands and exhausted your entire vocabulary of swear word and even invented some new ones, to discover that that isn't possible because the cam chain tensioner is in the way, then you can remove the carbs, and then the cam chain tensioner.

Or maybe you'll be lucky and yours is one of the models where it is possible. I believe I have read of someone doing it, just don't remember which model.
          Luckily I'm only holding the starter cover on with the single easily accessed bolt. I just put the carbs back on and the connection to #3 airbox boot is tenuous at best, so i'll try busting a few knuckles and see if it get lucky. Micro ratchets are my friends.
          Last edited by sacruickshank; 11-04-2021, 02:20 PM.
          Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

A basic video on how to rebuild a common starter motor for a motorcycle, ATV, watercraft or snowmobile. You can order starter motor rebuild kits and brush p...

Rick's sells rebuild kits
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Not sure if your bikes starter is anything like mine but....

Heres how I removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the starter without removing the carbs.

tutorial starts at about post #10

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

When you said "had it all apart".... did you disconnect the negative battery cable from the back of engine and not reconnect it.....?

If so, the first time you tried to run starter it probably burnt up some of the small gauge ground wires with all that current, and then not work at all on subsequent tries.
                Last edited by Redman; 11-07-2021, 09:00 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Alternator-Starter-Repair Parts for Motorcycle:Scooter:Snowmobile:ATV:PWC:Garden Tractor:Golf Carts:Utility Carts:Small Engines:Industrial Engines More!

Select Suzuki, motorcycle, year and model, and it will list all your options.
                  Although, they are in Calif, so shipping will be a few days for you.

THey have remanufactures starters. They operate on exchange, meaning, they send you a reman starter, then you send back your old one in the box, then they credit your CC with the "core" charge.

THey have brush kits also, and is probably all you need. Rebuilding that isnt hard, but does take some time and fussing. Will want to find some way to "dress" the commutator. I put some emory cloth on paint stir sticks and spin the commutator in a drill motor. Hey, goofey, yes. But it worked.

If you want to get the brush kit, you will need to remove your starter or somehow get an eyeball on its back end to see if is a Mitsuba or a Denso starter (could be either) to get the kit specific to that one.
                  If you are ordering a complete reman, it doesnt matter.

Brush kits are about 30bucks. Reman starter are 150 or 300.
                  Last edited by Redman; 11-07-2021, 08:58 AM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

UPDATES:
                    1. When the bike was last apart I did not disconnect the battery ground to the engine, so that should still be as OK as a 40 year old screw connection can be. All voltages were ~11v or better when activating the starter button and checking against battery, engine, and ground screw.
                    2. I was able to get the rearward starter bolt out using a micro ratchet, but the front one is even harder to access due to the cam chain tensioner and limited space in the 550 engine.
                    3. Looks like the carbs have to come off which might provide an angle to remove the bolt without removing the tensioner.
                    4. thanks for all the input on brushes and sources. That will be my first test once I get the starter motor out.
                    5. Starter motor can come out with carbs off and cyl#2 intake off. Just barely fits past the cam chain tensioner if you try enough positions.
                    6. Test of the motor yielded one battery draining 5sec spin at low speeds. After that, nothing. Haven't yet figured out the correct prying position to get the end cap off and access the brushes

Pic shows inside, with some corrosion.
                    PXL_20211107_152149159.jpg
                    Last edited by sacruickshank; 11-07-2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I'm thinking those corroded brushes may also be a problem. I have a few spare and working starters from other projects, so I may see if parts are swappable.

PXL_20211107_172919509.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
                        I'm thinking those corroded brushes may also be a problem. I have a few spare and working starters from other projects, so I may see if parts are swappable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63545[/ATTACH]
                        Ya think?

Wow....pretty bad. Good luck.
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

There's a good chance parts from others may fit. The Mitsuba 2-brush (and the four-brush) were fitted to a wide range of makes and models. I don't see them making brush holder plates specific to Zuk.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The problem of the "corrosion" there is that it looks like it could limit the travel of the brushes in its holder. (the brush needs to move freely so is pushed against the commutator by that spring).
                            Maybe it might clean up, and work better. But probably better to get a brush kit.

Comment

Looks like the brushes and plate from a Denso starter from a Triumph Adventurer (on left) will likely fit in the GS starter. the plate itself is slightly different, but the OD and ID are the same. And the diameter of the starter commutator is the same @ 28mm.
                              PXL_20211111_222404583.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X