Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinstalling 1100G exhaust (stock)

The exhaust system Is basically four parts:
    - Right muffler and #4 exhaust pipe ("12" on microfiche)
    - #3 exhaust pipe ("1")
    - #2 exhaust pipe ("2")
    - Left muffler and #1 exhaust pipe ("13")

Notes:
    Doesn't have the pre-muffler part like the 850s.
    Is connection between#2 and #3 pipes.

Note: On disassembly, I did take apart the connection between #2 and #3, but did not completely take #2 from the left, nor #3 from the right, but did loosen the clamps a little.
    Last edited by Redman; 11-04-2021, 11:12 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

At present I have, all laying on the floor, #2 exhaust pipe loosely into its mulfler pipe, and #3 exhaust pipe loosely into its muffler pipe. On dissasembly, I did take apart the connetion between #2 and #3, but did not complletly take #2 from the left, nor #3 from the right, but did loosen the clamps a little.

Bike is on center stand (with tiedown strap between centerstand and front wheel).

When reinstalling the exhaust system, do I want to

A: Get all kinda inplace under the bike, get all four all together (snugly, not too tight), and then lift it all up and into place ??

or

B: Install left, and install right, put #2 & #3 together, and then install them into place.

or

C: some other option I am not thinking of

? ? ?

I seem to recall some complication of the left with the side stand.

Yep, new gaskets in exhaust ports.
    Yep, have the flanges("4") and spacers("7") for #2 & #3.
    Last edited by Redman; 11-04-2021, 11:11 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

No crossover?????
      (extra ? because message was too short...)
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Maybe I should get my son-in-law (competitive weight lifter) to help, har har har

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          No crossover?????
          (extra ? because message was too short...)
          No . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            No crossover?????
            . . . . .
            See Notes I added to first post.

Comment

IIRC when I had the "G" system on my 1000N I tucked the outer pipes (1 and 4) into ports and put the hanger bolt in just a few threads to hold them loosely in place and keep the pipe in the port, kind of like a third hand. Then if you hold your tongue just right you assemble the center pipes and wiggle the whole thing together .......maybe. Good luck.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Ah, I see.

What I would do is remove 2-3 an install the outer pipes first. Don't tighten them up, just loose install.

Then install 2-3 as an assembly into the outers.

Once that's accomplished you can then start tightening things up. Do the header bolts first. As you tighten these the pipes will move slightly rearward so the muffler bolts need to remain loose. Do the outer header bolts first, then the inners. Once all the header bolts are tight, then tighten the rear muffler bolts.

With some luck nothing will leak.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you have a hydraulic floor jack:
                  With carpet pieces on the floor under engine and either side of rear wheel. You’ll have to remove that safety strap. Leave all connections a bit loose so you can twist things as needed. Slide the whole thing in from front left or right. Probably have to turn handlebars toward you. When assembly is centered under the bike, put a length of 2x6 under the balance point of the assembly, and floor jack under that. Lift assembly up into position. I used zip ties loose where the rear mount holes are bolted, so the mufflers can just sort of hang near where they belong, but with enough play so you can get all 4 headers lined up. Tricky to get the the inserts in position on 2&3 by yourself. Extra hands would help. I’ve done this 4 or 5 times by myself. Works for me.
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 11-04-2021, 11:34 PM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

One thing I did with the inserts was to use a small of masking tape to hold them together sort of clam shell style then they would just hang in place over the pipe until you got the clamp in place. The tape soon enough just burned off.
                    Last edited by Sandy; 11-05-2021, 02:09 AM.
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I took mine off a few times. Try to keep it in one assembly. I sat next to the front wheel and pulled the headers up and got them into the ports, then found some object the right size shoved under them for support. Then moved around to a side and lifted the muff as high as it would allow and supported it. Then the other side muff lifted and support, if possible shove the bolt in.
                      Go back to the headers and bolt them into the block. Finally bolt the muffs.
                      Not too hard, for a young fit man like you. ; )
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                        One thing I did with the inserts was to use a small of masking tape to hold them together sort of clam shell style then they would just hang in place over the pipe until you got the clamp in place. The tape soon enough just burned off.
                        Sandy, that's so simple and brilliant! Wish I'd thought of that. Will definitely do next time.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Just a thought: 4-into-1.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hey Guys ! Thanks !

THis is what is great about this site.
                            I post an ignoramous problem/question late in the evening, and before night is out, and before next morning, there are great responses from multiple knowledgeable/experienced folks that know what they are talking about and explain themselves well. (although, har har, with opposed answers - - har har). And provide additional pointers.

I had been thinking that the idea (my "A") of assembling all the exhaust together and then installing on bike (Rich, BB) made the most sence, since then had the most freedom of movement to work the pieces together, and I already had the2 & 3 exhaust pipe in the muller pipes.

But the more I read and the more I looked at the parts, it seemed the idea of installing the outside pipes/mufflers (loosley) first and then putting 2 & 3 together and then install them (my "B", and Sandy and Mr Ed Nessman) just seemed to be what was intended, how things were designed, and could attend to difficulty of each pipe one at a time, rather than having to align all of them with everything all at once, and more manageable for one person. So that is what I decided to do, and took the 2 & 3 pipes out of the 1 & 4 pipes/mufflers.

As it turned out, SonInLaw came over, and we worked on it together. (which I greatly appreciated, and that is an entire story in its own).
                            Things went fairly well.

Maybe biggest problem was deciding if the longer bolt or the shorter bolt went on the right or left side muffler mount. THe right side is closer to swing arm, so thought shorter bolt went there, but short bolt didnt seem long enough, but long bolt seemed too long. Took a while to get things lined up properly (GK has complication of having sidebag rack mount there also) so the short bolt would work. Probably spent more time on that one step than any other one step.

,,, more later
                            Last edited by Redman; 11-06-2021, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Sandy's idea of taping the two inserts together was great. Had to brush the rust off some so tape would stick.
                              THen the two halves would just hang there while maneuvering the pipe, but could not get it all to fitt into the opening in the head. Took a while, and multiple trys, to figure out that I had the two pieces right adjacent to each other, but they needed to be spaced apart evenly, duh, so they are circular, duh, to fit in a round hole with limited clearance, duh..

... more later.....

Comment

Working...
                              X