Texas christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas christmas

I am excited and somewhat worried. Is there any unusual traditions?

Anything I should see or do? I'll be there for about three weeks (14th to 4th I think).

Can you ride in december in Houston?
    GS1000G 1981

Noreg, just look at the latitude compared to where you live. You’ve shown us some great snowy riding pics from Norway. Texas will be no challenge for you, I’m sure. Hope you have a great trip to the Lone Star State. I haven’t been there myself. Traditions vary. Best to check with your host or wherever you’ll be staying.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

As a state, it has some very cool spots (Austin, San Antonio, Galveston), some of the best barbecue on the planet, and some of the most interminable stretches of road on the planet. The people are friendly, but don't talk politics or religion.

Houston temps will most likely be in the high 50's or low 60's-maybe warmer given MMGW effects. To you, plain balmy.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Also, Houston has the Johnson Space Center. It's worth checking out if you have the time. Yeah, the BBQ is awesome. Pick yourself up a cowboy hat so everyone knows you're a tourist! 🌞
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Noreg, just look at the latitude compared to where you live. You’ve shown us some great snowy riding pics from Norway. Texas will be no challenge for you, I’m sure. Hope you have a great trip to the Lone Star State. I haven’t been there myself. Traditions vary. Best to check with your host or wherever you’ll be staying.
          I was partially worried about like, snow and ice, but also the practicality of obtaining a bike and stuff. I am somewhat confused about how insurance work in the US. Here I insure the car, and anyone that uses it is insured. Its all tied to the vehicle.

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          As a state, it has some very cool spots (Austin, San Antonio, Galveston), some of the best barbecue on the planet, and some of the most interminable stretches of road on the planet. The people are friendly, but don't talk politics or religion.

Houston temps will most likely be in the high 50's or low 60's-maybe warmer given MMGW effects. To you, plain balmy.
          I've been to Austin and Galveston. Austin was cool. I would not recommend Galveston for the beaches though, they had sand and water but not the greatest. I want to check out the racetrack tho.

Never been in the US for christmas. I think first time I went I was in february or march in Dallas. God that was a long time ago.

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
          Also, Houston has the Johnson Space Center. It's worth checking out if you have the time. Yeah, the BBQ is awesome. Pick yourself up a cowboy hat so everyone knows you're a tourist! 
          I believe I have been there, that is the place with the big space ship inside?

I can't wait for the food. I hope the restaurants are still there.
          GS1000G 1981

Comment

I can't wait for the food.

Don't you have double-dipped quadruple cheese whoppers in Norway?
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              Don't you have double-dipped quadruple cheese whoppers in Norway?[/COLOR]
              You left out deep fried and smoked.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Noreg, Matagorda and Stewart are nice beaches, period.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                  I was partially worried about like, snow and ice, but also the practicality of obtaining a bike and stuff. I am somewhat confused about how insurance work in the US. Here I insure the car, and anyone that uses it is insured. Its all tied to the vehicle...
                  It's the same in the US (the vehicle owner pays for insurance which covers anyone who drives it), but I don't know anything about how driver's licenses and motorcycle endorsements work between Norway and the US. Assuming your license is valid, then if you borrow a bike the owner's insurance will be in effect.

That said, US motorcycle insurance does not include medical coverage for the rider, so you'll need to make sure you have medical insurance while in the US.

It's can be difficult to rent a motorcycle other than a Harley in much of the US. https://www.eaglerider.com/ is the most widespread.

However, there are a couple of websites that let you rent motorcycles from private owners, and there's a very nice mix of bikes out there.

The rental services include some sort of insurance, with different upgrades available. (Most or all owner's insurance is not valid if the bike is being used by a renter. My policy covers me or anyone who is riding the bike with my permission, but it explicitly does not cover any usage for hire, such as for a rental or for deliveries.) They generally run a check of your driving record, so I'm not sure how or whether that would work with a non-US license.

Eagle Rider mentions that licenses and motorcycle endorsements from the EU are valid here, but does not mention Norway (Norway is not part of the EU.)
                  The world's largest motorcycle rental and tour company with rentals starting at $29/day and bike + hotel tour packages starting at $135/day.

Not sure what the rules are for Norwegians, so you'll have to ask.
                  Last edited by bwringer; 11-09-2021, 04:11 AM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Eagle Rider and its ilk are so damned expensive, with many added costs on top of the daily rate. My brother recently rented a Softail to go for a weekend ride with me, and the cost for two days was somewhere around $500. I'd definitely look at the riders-share site first.

That said, Eagle Rider does rent out MT-07s, XSR900s, etc, not just Harleys.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

My licence is valid, its the Vienna or Geneva convention on road traffic that regulates it I believe. If I move there, I expect I need to do something to get my other licences transefered, but normally for three months you can go whenever.

Matrogada and Stewart isn't where I went and Matrogada is not Galveston?

We don't even have bacon vodka or almond champagne in Norway! And beef jerkey costs more than spare bike parts here.
                      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Am i allowed to post a link to the Stromtrouper forum thread with some good info from a member who ride shares his bike??
                        82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                        Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                        Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                        Albums

Comment

Originally posted by 650Skull View Post
                          Am i allowed to post a link to the Stromtrouper forum thread with some good info from a member who ride shares his bike??
                          Yep. And I remember that thread... lots of harrumphing and pearl clutching in there, too, but some good info on real-world experiences.

Anyway, it sounds like Noreg may have a way to borrow a bike instead of renting one. But the rental markets had some info on international riders, licensing, insurance, etc.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                            My licence is valid, its the Vienna or Geneva convention on road traffic that regulates it I believe. If I move there, I expect I need to do something to get my other licences transefered, but normally for three months you can go whenever.

Matrogada and Stewart isn't where I went and Matrogada is not Galveston?

We don't even have bacon vodka or almond champagne in Norway! And beef jerkey costs more than spare bike parts here.
                            Matagorda is maybe 90 minutes from Galveston, and about the same from Houston. I thought you were looking at riding around outside Houston?
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              Yep. And I remember that thread... lots of harrumphing and pearl clutching in there, too, but some good info on real-world experiences.

Anyway, it sounds like Noreg may have a way to borrow a bike instead of renting one. But the rental markets had some info on international riders, licensing, insurance, etc.

Pearl Clutching...........Think that's a bit of a clutch pearls comment............looking at 2 different threads i think Bwringer. Here is the one i was referring to

https://www.stromtrooper.com/threads.../#post-5566866
                              82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                              Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                              Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                              Albums

Comment

Working...
                              X