1982 gs1100gk Where do these hoses go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs1100gk Where do these hoses go?

I own a gs550l which has been a fantastic bike, but I recently acquired a gs1100gk which has these two ports on the base of the engine behind the cylinders, to the right of the starter. They are not there on the 550. So my question is, what do these do and where do they go? The previous owner has them connected together which I’m not sure is correct and it drips a lot of oil from there when it’s running. I’ve scoured far and wide looking for an answer.. any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sounds like you’re talking about the oil pressure sensor area? See pic.

You can download a factory service manual from BikeCliff’s Website.

Welcome to the forum.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thank you for the reply! Yes they’re right next to that. I’ve looked through the entire manual today and couldn’t anything related. There’s basically two ports that come up out of the bottom there and I have no idea as to what they’re for, besides obviously being oil related. I looked at several engines on eBay and most all of them don’t have them either. I only managed to find one engine with them there. https://www.ebay.com/itm/35219721199...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

Comment

Oil cooler?...

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Ah, those would be for an aftermarket, supplemental oil cooler not part of the original configuration (I believe, could be wrong). There’s another current thread discussing something similar, adding an oil pressure gauge to a 550. Not really your concern, but maybe of interest to you. https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...sure-plate-mod
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

TY, welcome to TheGSR.

my 82 GK has the oil pressure sender there (and the 650g and 850g I had, and any other GS I know of).

in the eBay pic; I can only guess.

does your bike have some oil cooler? (Stock doesnt)

Hey: Kalamazoo.

(opps, I got interrupted, and Rich beat me to the suggestion of aftermarket oil cooler.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thank you everyone for the replies! Much appreciated as I’ve been kind of stressing about figuring it out all day. I agree with the oil cooler theory. I assume the person I bought it from must’ve scalped it and half heartedly capped it off. Guess I’ll just seal up the leak and forgot I ever saw it. Thanks again.

Comment

TY,
                We really are suppose to have pics of your bike before we can provide any technical advice.
                yep, need to know if you have the marron or the black or the two tone brown or the grey/silver.
                ha ha joking

well, actually, for 82 GK there is some significance to the color.
                the two tone ones do have some differences, very minor.
                you may notice that are 82 GKZ and 82 GK2 in parts catalogs.
                The Z is the ordinary 1982 designator (the solid color).
                The 2 means after a mid year design change, a late 82 (the two tone) like the 83s.
                Last edited by Redman; 11-11-2021, 11:43 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Okay good to know! I tried uploading pics several times but I kept getting an error (presumably because I’m on mobile).

Comment

Mobile doesn’t have anything to do with it. Best way to post pics is to have them hosted on a pic sharing site, copy the BBCode, and paste into your post . I have instructions linked in my signature to using Imgur.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by TireYeeter View Post
                      Thank you everyone for the replies! Much appreciated as I’ve been kind of stressing about figuring it out all day. I agree with the oil cooler theory. I assume the person I bought it from must’ve scalped it and half heartedly capped it off. Guess I’ll just seal up the leak and forgot I ever saw it. Thanks again.
                      What you mustn't do is block those off.
                      If there's no longer an oil cooler in circuit, one hose must come out of the adapter and go straight back into the other inlet. If you don't do that, the oil will just stop circulatiing.
                      Assuming you don't want an oil cooler at all, you'd be bettter to replace the adapter with a stock one, whereupon the oil routing happens internally and reliably, with no leaks.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

…. And will want to deal with getting the oil pressure switch back in operation. (I don’t know what happens to it with those oil cooler kits. If is replaced with something else somewhere or if original is relocated or what.)

Comment

This posting has a photo showing the area you mention having the typical pressure switch.....
                          This area is to be used only for general GS topics. For non-GS related topics, join the Off-Topic usergroup. <b>Technical questions are not to be posted here.</b>

Well, except for the wrench.

Comment

Working...
                          X