Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You probably know I am Goldwing addicted - You can be too -- Look Inside ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think GLs are incredible machines. Nothing does cross country quite like one (well, perhaps with the exception of a very expensive BMW six cylinder). I lean toward Harleys these days, and my next newer bike will be electric, but Goldwings do everything they were built to do pertty much better than any other machine.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      Goldwings do everything they were built to do pretty much better than any other machine.
      But how are they on the twisities I wonder? Can you lean them over very far without scraping a muffler?
      Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
      1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
        But how are they on the twisities I wonder? Can you lean them over very far without scraping a muffler?
        Significantly less than a GS. From what I've seen, it's the aftermarket highway pegs that touch first. I watched Steve's brother-in-law plow a furrow in some WV blacktop with his Kuryakyn about 10 years ago.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
          Though they weren't built for twisties (nor did I suggest as much):
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            Though they weren't built for twisties (nor did I suggest as much):
            HAHA! Look at em go!
            Last edited by RustyTank; 11-10-2021, 10:39 AM.
            Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
            1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

In my experience a well trained Goldwing rider can do quite well - even when hauling 900#
              Goldwings require suspension upgrades to be the best they can be - typically they are undersprung and exhausted after a few years of holding up the load.
              However I have seen a Goldwing ride with Jedz on a twisty road while he was on his Triumph and pretty well -- The Wing in front of Jedz is my son on his 2003 set-up with upgraded suspension
              They soon left me in the dust

<strong>

I can and do on occassion drag hard parts but I do not have a lot of pegs sticking out the sides --
              here I am on the Back of the Dragon in July 2021 -

For ME - I drag the foot pegs when hard cornering - sometimes the under belly will scrap near the crash bars - or the crash bars depending on the road camber

Nimble ? nah ...capable
              Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Neil Sullivan brought his DCT Goldwing to an Ozarks rally a while back. He put it sport mode and rode the heck out of those twisty roads. Had no problem keeping pace with the rest of us. And we were not loafing around. Also, I think it's safe to say that he had more comfortable trips riding to and from the rally than anyone else that rode. And maybe more comfortable than some of the folks that trailered.
                Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

I have not ridden with many GSR members, but I would venture a guess that there might be just a handful of members that could keep up with those two Goldwings on "The Gap".

Yeah, a GS ,might be a bit more "capable", but a lot of the bike's capability is the nut that holds the handlebars.

Comment

Now you tell me? First couple rides on the 2012 I just bought have been good. It looks good in my garage next to a blue 83 gs850.Smart men think alike!!!
                    83 gs850
                    07 vtx1300c

Comment

Update -
                      The seat bolts have been removed and re-tapped the holes (All is now well)
                      The Forks have been rebuilt with new slider bushings, seals and dust seals and oil -
                      I will be putting them on the bike this coming week -
                      For Sale - I will make you a deal if you want to get it out of my garage before spring -
                      In spring it will be a tougher negotiation - but GS folks get preferential treatment if interested -
                      Merry Christmas - anyone doing some last minute shopping ?

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Spring Sale Price -- $8555

GS Forum Discount $100

It runs great and rides and stops -
                          I had it going last night but it was really cold at 35 degrees -

Needs a good washing - it is really dusty

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

I still have this beauty waiting in my garage for someone to make me an offer -
                            Fly in and ride it home -
                            I am now entertaining offers of $7999 starting price --
                            You should BUY THIS motorcycle and ride 2-up in comfort with your Wife or Girlfriend

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                              ... and ride 2-up in comfort with your Wife or Girlfriend
                              You mean they have to take turns?

Comment

Something I've been wondering since I first saw armrests - have passengers been known to doze off while riding?

Certainly is a beauty. Was 2008 before the advent of reverse gear?

GLWTS. Does this mean you're in a 12-step program? The only wing I've ever ridden was a brand new one in '75. A hooligan stunt bike compared to the newer ones. I'm guessing more than 200 lbs difference.

Any options that bike doesn't have?
                                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                                X