Windows 11......buy it or screw it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 11......buy it or screw it?

I wonder if I am an unusually attractivel prospect for IT folks as for several days my mailboxes seem to be flooded with suggestions to convert to Windows 11.

Is it worthwhile or is this just another in a long line of Microsoft attempts to take your money no matter what their poor, incomplete and very, very, buggy programs will actually do?
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Win 10 was evasive with regards to tracking your every move and keystroke. I turned off most of the tracking but it's hard to keep up since each new service pack or what have you turns it back on.

I didn't even know a Win 11 was here until this thread. I'll most likely install it since what option do we have? Microsoft will discontinue support of 10 before long so we are stuck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Windows 11 is here for SOME people -- or should I say SOME computers. The current version is available for free to users of Windows 10, BUT you have to have a SUPER computer -- stuff like 64-bit this & that and memory up the YING/YANG. Over the next year, they will be releasing additional versions for the rest of us scum -- with not so fancy computers. So it's going to be a staggered release.

Each version, including the current one, will have a small program that you can run to check to see if the latest installment will run on your gear. The current version won't run on anything I have. My "best" computer is Windows 10 PRO 64-bit with four GIGs of RAM and a four core CPU.

You can go to Microsoft.com to get the current test program -- but don't get your hopes up. Down the road there we be something I can use, but it seems like 99% of the "WHAT'S NEW" does not relate to what I do -- stuff like better connectivity with your smartphone crap.

And, like with all of Microsoft's updates, people will realize that to use it they will need a new computer, and new peripherals, and new software -- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
      Last edited by xkaes; 11-08-2021, 09:49 PM.
      sigpic
      '77 GS550B
      '78 GS550C

Comment

Windows XP or bust!
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I long ago determined that Microsoft operating systems all fall under one of two descriptions--unstable or obsolete. Obsolete is better. I stay with it as long as I can. If I am lucky I don't have to adopt the latest operating system until it is well along the road to obsolescence. It saves me a lot of grief overall. Being an unpaid beta tester never held much appeal for me.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

The number one thing I dislike about Windows11 is you cant buy you can only rent it. When you buy it if I understand correctly it lasts for one year from the install date. After that you have to pay for it again every year. That is the new software trend, yearly subscription scam. I have a couple of windows computers. Then I have two running Linux, it tends to be way faster than Windows and it is free.
            1981 GS1100E
            1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

I like forums. They are in a sense open source. Knowledge is freely shared to help people out.
              It's why I prefer Linux. There is a lot of stuff about faster but what does that mean in the real world?
              One thing is clear and that is with each new OS we 'advance' from using less than one percent of the machine's capability to less than a tenth of one percent.
              Even the newer Ubuntu distros are clagging up with snaps and more junk than you can shake a stick at with ever more dependencies so clean surgery gets trickier if you want to shed the fat.
              As they grow they get hungrier for resource but to what end. Data centers are projected to use a third of our generating capacity by the end of the decade.
              The new Meta project should scare us. The goal is fully immersive experience. The Matrix is happening.
              Windows annoys me because it tries to take over at every opportunity and will refuse to load drivers for some hardware or change your preferences at the drop of a hat. Heaven help you if you have the gall to run open source office programmes and try to swap pictures graphs or tables in and out.
              The number of legacy XP machines should have been a marker that they are good enough to do the job. They got killed off because they couldn't do a different job which nobody asked for but we got it anyway with loads of junk targeted at us on enhanced delivery systems.
              We need to stop calling them computers. They are electronic mailboxes.
              The machines have arrived and we have gotten to the point where we discuss the merits of an OS which nobody really understands anyway.
              If we asked what we need the machine to do for us and not for someone else we night find XP an overkill.
              Last edited by Brendan W; 11-09-2021, 06:42 AM.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

My most used computer runs XP -- because 10 won't work with some of my hardware & software. But I also have a 10 machine because some of my hardware & software requires it. And I have a 98 machine for the same reasons!!!! It's nuts.

Then there is my DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 machine......
                sigpic
                '77 GS550B
                '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by xkaes View Post
                  My most used computer runs XP -- because 10 won't work with some of my hardware & software. But I also have a 10 machine because some of my hardware & software requires it. And I have a 98 machine for the same reasons!!!! It's nuts.

Then there is my DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 machine......
                  Xp is long past being unsupported.
                  No security updates for years

Whats most amazing about Windows is that its modern face is built with numerous components that are old
                  Check out some dates on things in device manager.

A lot of whining in the news about windows 11 and its security requirements

One must try and realize that MS is addressing the future win 10 runs well on my windows 7 laptop its ten yrs old this year
                  I cannot imagine needing anything more powerful.

also win 11 is ugly
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

New IT guy pops in the other day. "So, seems you're the last one in the company still on Window 7." Yeah, me a the last guy had an understanding. I didn't want 10 until it was absolutely necessary. Looks like I'l have to upgrade soon. I just know that the people I've tried to help w/ issues using 10, I didn't like it. I do believe there's a way to make the desktop look and act like 7, but I'm not sure. I'm just reluctant to change, I guess. Windows is a necessary evil for me. My home is all Apple OS and iOS, except for my 16 yr. old who built himself a gaming PC last year. He's on his own, and that's OK w/ him. He's surpassed my computer knowledge and doesn't need my help anyway.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      New IT guy pops in the other day. "So, seems you're the last one in the company still on Window 7." Yeah, me a the last guy had an understanding. I didn't want 10 until it was absolutely necessary. Looks like I'l have to upgrade soon. I just know that the people I've tried to help w/ issues using 10, I didn't like it. I do believe there's a way to make the desktop look and act like 7, but I'm not sure. I'm just reluctant to change, I guess. Windows is a necessary evil for me. My home is all Apple OS and iOS, except for my 16 yr. old who built himself a gaming PC last year. He's on his own, and that's OK w/ him. He's surpassed my computer knowledge and doesn't need my help anyway.
                      I'm worse than you .... I hate change .... Ever since Windows 7 showed up I just can't orient myself how to use the interface . My solution was to install " Classic Shell " .... I am now on Windows 10 and it still looks like XP ......
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

My laptop is a GREAT Dell 8200. It's large & heavy, but works great with XP. Best of all, I got it for FREE! I CAN'T upgrade it because there are no drivers above XP. I'm not going to buy a new laptop, because this puppy works great and does everything I need! Who cares if Windows XP no longer is supported? Not me!

Apparently there are still a LOT of XP users out there -- despite it all. There are still a LOT of photographers that shoot using film, too!
                        Last edited by xkaes; 11-09-2021, 12:04 PM.
                        sigpic
                        '77 GS550B
                        '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                          I'm worse than you .... I hate change .... Ever since Windows 7 showed up I just can't orient myself how to use the interface . My solution was to install " Classic Shell " .... I am now on Windows 10 and it still looks like XP ......
                          Thanks for the tip on CLASSIC SHELL. I had not heard about it. I checked it out. The current version is called OPEN SHELL and it works great. Very easy to install. I can't stand the Windows 10 "interface", but now I'm all set. Microsoft COULD have easily added this to 10, but CHOSE not to!
                          sigpic
                          '77 GS550B
                          '78 GS550C

Comment

Windows 11? screw it. I gave up after 7. I've got 10 here on the disk beside Linux but only to run the very few things I can't do on Linux. I have to put a spike belt down before I go online. These guys should be designing anal probes, not operating systems.
                            Yes, I made 10 classic shell too but it doesn't really work. Took me 6 hours to turn off most of the fondling of my hdd going on in the background...STOP UPDATING!- I want to use my computer now.
                            I made XP look like 3.1 for that matter. Just gimme some folders and an exe to start something and GET OUT OF MY FACE!
                            YES I want to shut down. Why would I click the button if I didn't?....and yes, It's "My Computer." so stop acting like it's Yours.
                            Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-09-2021, 12:34 PM.

Comment

The problem with older operating systems and browsers is that they become susceptible to hacking and once Microsoft stops doing the updates, that puts you at even more risk.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X