No announcement yet.

Exhaust bolt replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had poor results with heat...mostly because my puny butane torch just gets dissippated so easily outdoors on an engine designed to dissipate heat. But it burns off the penetrating oil nicely. I'd think the best success with heat is going to be a real acetylene torch with a fine tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
      I've had poor results with heat...mostly because my puny butane torch just gets dissippated so easily outdoors on an engine designed to dissipate heat. But it burns off the penetrating oil nicely. I'd think the best success with heat is going to be a real acetylene torch with a fine tip.
      I seem to recall someone igniting a magnesium casing with an acetylene torch. Not likely to happen here, though.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

So after several days of liberal application of Liquid Wrench and tapping the bolts and collars with a punch and hammer I gave it a go. I used a six point socket and turned them a tiny bit clock wise then reversed.

Drumroll please... they all loosened without issue. Yay! I haven't taken them all the way out yet but am considering just inspecting them and if they look good, cleaning them up, and reinstalling with anti-seize (aluminum based) and then upgrading a bit later. What are the recommend stud or bolt options?
        Last edited by oldskull; 11-14-2021, 03:45 PM.
        1977 GS750B

Comment

Great news. The exhaust gaskets are single-use crush washers and may not seal tightly again if you loosen all the bolts, put on some anti-seize, and reinstall. Then again, they might. You’ve been lucky so far.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

You've given me hope for when I tackle my own nuts and bolts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            sigpic
            '77 GS550B
            '78 GS550C

Comment

Congrats skully, seems like your lucky day. I love folks not having problems. If using studs, just from a hardware store. Get same dia., length, & thread. If you'd rather be more exact, check the "70"'s & early "80" 's Kawasaki KZ 1000 & KZ1100's exhaust studs. I know we've used studs from a non Suzuki & I think those are the ones & should be an exact fit. But get "ONE" first just to be sure.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by oldskull View Post
                So after several days of liberal application of Liquid Wrench and tapping the bolts and collars with a punch and hammer I gave it a go. I used a six point socket and turned them a tiny bit clock wise then reversed.

Drumroll please... they all loosened without issue. Yay! I haven't taken them all the way out yet but am considering just inspecting them and if they look good, cleaning them up, and reinstalling with anti-seize (aluminum based) and then upgrading a bit later. What are the recommend stud or bolt options?
                I've put run-of-the-mill stainless steel ones into mine, with liberal application of graphite-based anti-seize. It worked fine so far, but I haven't had to take off the exhausts too much since, and I don't drive when the environment gets corrosive (salted streets sometimes during winter).
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                X