front end a bit shaky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    Hard won knowledge: on my Kaw 900, when the high speed wobble raised it's ugly head, hitting the brakes (which is a natural reaction to loosing control at a buck ten) only made things worse. A lot worse. I found that riding the rear brake and applying throttle against it was the ticket to survival.

Might be something to 'file away,' with the hope that you never have to retrieve that particular file.
    Z1s handling suffered from the asymmetrical frame and crappy steering head bearings.
    My pal Red made a conversion kit to tapered roller bearings, which helped greatly.
    But, you could always tell that the Z1 felt different going left, compared to right
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      Z1s handling suffered from the asymmetrical frame and crappy steering head bearings.
      My pal Red made a conversion kit to tapered roller bearings, which helped greatly.
      But, you could always tell that the Z1 felt different going left, compared to right
      I thought it was just the spindly frame and swing arm, to which many added gussets (particularly by the steering head). Engine was Job 1, the frame almost an afterthought. How that would change in the mid-'80's.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
      X