Opening crank case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening crank case

I have 83 gs750es and I Need help opening the crank case to install new timing chain. I've removed the screws in the front of the engine the scre and nut at the back of the front sprocket, underneath the starter motor, 4 screws at the top of the motor and three screws at the back side but top part of the case still won't open. the service manual I have doesn't really say how to but more of just removing parts untill the case is open and I don't want to remove anything unnecessary, am I missing somewher?
    1983 GS750ES

Don’t know which manual you have but there’s a Suzuki Factory Service Manual on BikeCliff’s Website that you can download.
    See link below.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks I'll check that.
      1983 GS750ES

Comment

There are 2-6mm allen head screws inside/top, where oil filter resides, have to take oil filter cover off/oil filter out + one long bolt in front of oil/sump screen + plates behind clutch basket & one plate probably covered in chain lube forward of the front sprocket. Cardboard to poke various bolts in their proper home to keep track is always helpful on reassembly.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Have you flipped the engine upside down, removed the oil pan and the rest of the case bolts? And pulled the clutch hub and the Phillips head screws behind it that hold the metal plates that also tie the case halves together?
          Ray.

Comment

What he (rapidray) said.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Nope have not done that. Will do that next
              1983 GS750ES

Comment

If your only goal is to install a new timing chain, it is not necessary to open the crank case.
                There are open ended timing chains for sale.
                You remove the valve cover ; break the current chain and attach the new one.
                Pull the new one through and connect the ends.
                Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                  If your only goal is to install a new timing chain, it is not necessary to open the crank case.
                  There are open ended timing chains for sale.
                  You remove the valve cover ; break the current chain and attach the new one.
                  Pull the new one through and connect the ends.
                  There's a strong feeling against doing this, Personally I change the chain out in any case if the engine is open. However I think the soft link option is a very good one, I have done several this way and never had a problem.
                  If manufacturers like DID offer soft link options then that says enough for me.
                  sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Sadly I can't find an soft link one, so I got a new oem part
                    1983 GS750ES

Comment

Just for example
                      SUZUKI CAM CAMSHAFT TIMING CHAIN GS1000 GS850 GS750 GS650G GS500 NEW DID | eBay

Cam chain: 219Tx 122L Z1-Z900-Z1000 1972-1978 (pattern) (z-power.co.uk)

You can buy the rivet links separately.

Link Rivet Cam Chain 219T ID DID 14401-369-003 | eBay
                      Last edited by tatu; 11-11-2021, 08:09 PM.
                      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I'll keep that in mind if ever I get frustrated taking this f'ing crank case open
                        1983 GS750ES

Comment

Working...
                        X