Fellow that is new to motorcycles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fellow that is new to motorcycles.

I've worked with Josh for about ten years. He is in his early 40's wife, kids, mortgage... Over the years he would check out Craigslist looking at different motorcycles. He would come over to me and ask me about this one or that one... I would always encourage him but also tell him the downside about a particular motorcycle

. Fast forward to about a month ago. He showed me a add for a 1982 Honda CB 750 custom. It looked to be in very good condition. I did a little research on the motorcycle. Electronic ignition is a plus, original owner, another plus, and local. I told him it would be worth checking out. He bought the Honda for $800!

Next, since he has no motorcycling experience he enrolled in the Ohio Motorcycle Safety Course. It's a two day course, he had a blast. Plus he learned some very useful information.

Last Monday I took off work at noon to go for a ride. Tuesday at work Josh asked me where I went riding to. I told him that I went to East Liverpool by the Ohio River for lunch. Then I went over to the Pittsburgh Airport to watch a couple of jets take off. He seemed so intrigued. It will be fun riding with him next summer.👍
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

I see extended trips out west, and a bigger motorcycle, in his future if he starts following you around Norm!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Another convert! Excellent that you are giving him some guidance Norm.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Those are actually really nice bikes. Almost 80 hp, shaft drive, 4+ gallon tank, 40+ mpg. I don't think he will need a larger bike for some time, and if it is in good shape, it was a great deal. What a cool story!
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Oops. Looks like the little CB-C is chain drive.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Good on ya Norm for giving him some real world advice.
            Great to hear he took the safety course.
            He may have already discovered it but www.cb750c.com is an excellent site for the DOHC Customs.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I think your buddy will do good to have you as a mentor. (maybe in a couple years he will have a garage and basement full har har har)
              Last edited by Redman; 11-11-2021, 11:30 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The Custom Honda's, like the "L" Suzuki's, just weren't "MY" style. But many like the customs & not the standards. As long as they are motorcycles, who cares? Great to hear of folks getting into enjoying motorcycles. Poke a little fun at Josh. Ask if he remembers the old slogan...You meet the nicest people on a SUZUKI... & let him know we'll let him on our site if he trades for a Suzuki.... Also give him congrats., seems he got a pretty dang good deal.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Another good deed done by Norm. Man if I didn't know better, I'd think you were related to Mary Poppins.

Seriously Norm, good on you for helping him out. You did stress ATGATT, right?
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

At the risk of being Debby Downer, given his family situation I'd ask him three questions:

How's your medical insurance?
                    How's your life insurance?
                    Will up to date?
                    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Dang Rich, that's depressing !!!
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        Dang Rich, that's depressing !!!
                        Ugh, yeah ........
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

I would recommend longer lessons. When my wife started riding she took a 6 day course...well worth it...Sounds like a good guy Norm
                          No signature

Comment

I think getting out and riding in parking lots and then in less congested areas is one of the best teachers. A 6 day course might cost as much as his CB750-and might be completely unfeasible to someone who works a regular job, Trevor.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                              At the risk of being Debby Downer, given his family situation I'd ask him three questions:

How's your medical insurance?
                              How's your life insurance?
                              Will up to date?

I have to agree with that. At that age with zero experience, it will be an uphill quest against the odds to ride daily without having a serious accident for the approximate three years it takes to develop required survival skills. If anything goes wrong before that, you're cannon fodder. There are a thousand insane ways the cagers can get you.
                              Last edited by earlfor; 11-12-2021, 11:29 AM.
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X