Vent hose or overflow hose. What to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vent hose or overflow hose. What to do

I’m tired of searching through the forums so I’m just going to ask. The carbs were removed, cleaned, rejetted, rebuilt and reassembled. Based on the guide I received from here on rebuilding the carburetors, my carbs have 2 ts instead of 2 straight tubes between 1&2 and 3&4.

I believe either vent tubes or overflow tubes were supposed to attach to those ts.

im putting pods on my bike. Can I leave the Ts open? Do I need to find some sort of tubing to attach?

any help would be greatly appreciated. I can post a pic if that’s helpful 7E11FFB1-C3F3-4C1C-8625-A3FAD3C62DCF.jpg
    Last edited by Sarcvicious; 11-12-2021, 03:18 AM.
    Main lady- 2009 Nightster 1200
    Project Lady- 1982 GS650 G

Tired now? Wait till you fiddle with carbs with pods!
    Anyways….

3BDF5ACF-23A1-4C45-B9D3-23084A7C0DA1.jpg
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I've read reports of people getting funny behaviour in strong crosswinds or passing trucks if those vent tubes are not installed.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Those lines are vents, not overflow.

The idea is to provide an atmospheric reference for the gas in the bowls, so the jets work properly. In stock form, they would have been routed up, over the airbox to a retainer hoop on top of the air filter. That is an area of relatively calm air that will give that atmospheric reference. Since you are removing the filter and airbox, you will not have that retainer hoop. Since the air around the carbs is relatively calm, many that have gone to pods have simply removed the hoses, but turned the Ts down, so they don't collect water. However, as Brendan mentions, strong gusts can still be a factor. There is nothing that says you can't still route the hoses under the seat. You may have to extend them a bit to reach an area where they will be in still air, but it will help. In fact, probably the ultimate 'still air' would be found at the frame rail under the tank. While you are extending the hoses, consider putting them up there. One drawback will be the MULTIPLE times you will likely have to remove the carbs to fine-tune the jetting. When (if) you finally get the jetting right, you can zip-tie them loosely to the frame rail to keep them in place.

Comment

Working...
        X