Wheel bearings 1982 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel bearings 1982 GS1100E

I am rebuilding an 82 1100E, and I have gotten to the wheel bearings. Hindsight was to order a new set of bearings, and I have had them for months. I started preping to remove the old bearings, and the old ones feel really good, and they are Japanese "Nachi" brand. The replacements are Chinese. I was replacing them because they are so old, then I had a thought what am I doing taking out Japanese parts and installing Chinese parts, this might be a mistake. Now I don't know what I am going to do. I am thinking I might clean and regrease the originals. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by metalfab; 11-15-2021, 06:19 AM.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

For me there is no difference in a "Good"..."new" bearing & a "GOOD"..."old" bearing, both are "GOOD" bearings....Old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" always made sense to me.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Koyo every time.
      Keep Chinese bearings in the scrap bin, where they belong.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

You almost certainly damaged the old ones to some degree removing them. You're buggered either way...
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I'm not sure he actually removed them yet?
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by gs1150pilot View Post
            i'm not sure he actually removed them yet?
            doh! .
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

No they are not out yet. I am leaning towards keeping the originals. I can use suction and get the side seals out, then clean and re grease the original bearings. There is 3 in the rear wheel so I will have to take at least one out. If I heat the wheel I can probably get one out without damage.
              1981 GS1100E
              1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

I always put my finger on the inner race and feel how the bearing turns, compared to a new one (play, noises, force required) and then decide wether I want to go through the necessary work.

I think nowadays it's not as important where a new bearing is from; but rather what you've paid for it. Last I checked, they're not pricey anyway...(SKF)
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                  I think nowadays it's not as important where a new bearing is from; but rather what you've paid for it. Last I checked, they're not pricey anyway...(SKF)
                  I don't see the point of saving a quid on a bearing, when a decent make (SKF, Koyo, etc) are so relatively low cost anyway.
                  I've seen too many cheap-ass bearings fail, when a decent one wouldn't have.
                  Also, when it comes to motorcycle wheel bearings, a failure in the wrong place or time could be serious.
                  ---- Dave
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Trust in your finger.

If they feel fine (and you haven't bashed them out already) then they are fine.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      I don't see the point of saving a quid on a bearing, when a decent make (SKF, Koyo, etc) are so relatively low cost anyway.
                      I've seen too many cheap-ass bearings fail, when a decent one wouldn't have.
                      Also, when it comes to motorcycle wheel bearings, a failure in the wrong place or time could be serious.
                      Fully agree.

(I need to fill 15 chars).
                      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Leave them... I have done that a few times too.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Agree with everyone else here, if they're fine, leave 'em.

I personally am not too afraid of installing chinese wheel bearings as long they were from a reputable bearing dealer. They know bearings and they don't want to sell crap. Plus these motorcycles put a tiny tiny fraction of the load on these bearings compared to what they are designed for. But that's just me. Still, better bearings are not much more expensive.
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                            Agree with everyone else here, if they're fine, leave 'em.

I personally am not too afraid of installing chinese wheel bearings as long they were from a reputable bearing dealer. They know bearings and they don't want to sell crap. Plus these motorcycles put a tiny tiny fraction of the load on these bearings compared to what they are designed for. But that's just me. Still, better bearings are not much more expensive.
                            Same. Motorcycle wheel bearings fail from improper installation or contamination, not from being Hecho en China. They're standardized industrial products made for far higher loads and worse conditions that motorcycles put them through.

Also, guess where 99%+ of the expensive Euro-brand bearings are actually made?
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Opinions are...
                              I was (relatively briefly) involved in the bearing industry and while I was there I absorbed a lot of knowledge that forever changed my attitude towards bearings.
                              You carry on fitting sub-standard, shoddily-made cheap crap if you like but I'll continue to buy Koyo or SKF secure in the knowledge that a bearing failure will be one of the last things bugging me. Seems to me that a buck or two extra for a pair of good quality bearings isn't much to pay for peace of mind.
                              If I buy Koyo made in China, I can be sure they're made to the same tolerances that the ones I made were. Similar for SKF, but Koyo were fanatical about QC.
                              I've no doubt there are other bearings made in China that are every bit as good as their forebears in Europe or the US, but there are countless others that are utter crap.
                              I've said enough, and not meaning to bore anyone, but hey, it's your neck.
                              Oh, and the same thing applies to crap Chinese brake components.
                              ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X