Living in the atmospheric river, PNW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living in the atmospheric river, PNW

We're on our third atmospheric river in the last month.
    This is where a storm front, instead of passing laterally, angles right at you so you get 2-3-4 days of torrential rain.
    Now, we're used to rain in this corner of the world, but not in this quality.
    Floods, bridges washed out, trees falling, power out, people getting swept away in rising water.
    It's a good time to stay home, and I'm happy to be retired right now.
    Maybe the sun will appear tomorrow.
    At least it's warm
    How about the rest of you PNW* people

*Pacific Northwest, for all of you put there
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Yeah it's a wet one here too . Even had a tornado here last week ...... { which I have never seen here before } ......

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

My wife told me that we were experiencing an atmospheric river this morning. I said, "a what?" I've spent the majority of my life in the PNW and not once have I ever heard this term. I'm used to wet so that part doesn't bother me. I just don't like to see folks in danger, obviously. Power has been going out sporadically in neighboring areas. Luckily ours hasn't gone out yet.

BIG T, as a complete and total aside, and my intent isn't to hijack this thread but...I grew up in the greater Portland area. Aloha specifically as a child then we moved to Portland when I was 13 years old. Never have I heard of the area known as West Slope. I looked it up on google maps and thought, oh yea, well that's just Raleigh Hills! Then I did some digging and learned that no, no it is not. Raleigh Hills is the area NEXT to West Slope. Hot damn I learn somethin new every time I log onto the GSR Forum
      Last edited by RustyTank; 11-12-2021, 03:59 PM.
      Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
      1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
        Yeah it's a wet one here too . Even had a tornado here last week ...... { which I have never seen here before } ......
        I heard about this. That picture is intense. Folks in the Snohomish county area of Washington, about 20 miles north of downtown Seattle, received a tornado warning notification on their phones this past Tue. The weather system weakened and it turned out ok but a buddy of mine in Bremerton, WA told me they had one pass through their area. And yea, to your point bccap, that generally doesn't happen here.
        Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
        1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Just wet and breezy here. Been practicing making and drinking highballs between dr visits. On a good note, my crick now has water in it.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
            Just wet and breezy here. Been practicing making and drinking highballs between dr visits. On a good note, my crick now has water in it.

V
            Good thing we pulled that miserable old stump outta there. LOL.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Was that tornado over the water?
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                Was that tornado over the water?
                Mostly .... Then it popped ashore to wipe out a few trees up in the U.B.C. area ......
                Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                1983 GS 750

Comment

Oof, nothing like stupid uni students out filming during a tornado ...
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                    Oof, nothing like stupid uni students out filming during a tornado ...

Right because the scientific and educational aspect of seeing one is useless especially if those students were in that field of study. I'm pretty impressed by what I saw since most of the tornadoes I experienced while living in Oklahoma missed us by a few miles each time
                    sigpic
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post

V
                      Does that mean you're mixing it, using Vernors Ginger Ale & Maker's Mark?
                      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

White Russians, greyhound, manhattmen amongst others.

V
                        Gustov
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        80 GS 550 L
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                          Good thing we pulled that miserable old stump outta there. LOL.

Which stump would that be, I got lots of em.

V
                          Gustov
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          80 GS 550 L
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

That's nasty alright. Can't say I've seen a waterspout that big in the straits before. But "atmospheric river" ? haha The Milennials have taken over the weather office and are busy coining terms for their 10 second media blurbs...What happened to the "Pineapple Express"? That was the 90's, I suppose.
                            I don't feel much cultural continuity with these people..."King salmon",King tides" slang from the "NW" that is south of us....and Complaining about setting their clocks ahead in the spring but gee from the most travelled generation ever, it's ridiculous. They've no problem going to Bali for a week. Mind, I didn't hear them whining when the clocks went back.

Oh well, time for my nap before the nurse comes to change my ostomy bag.

Comment

I'm laughing here, because the term, "atmospheric river" is from the 90's.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X