Living in the atmospheric river, PNW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
    So, all this has been about jet streams?
    Sheesh. I wish the clown who thought up 'atmospheric rivers' had been decently educated.
    No .... They've been explaining it on our news daily with diagrams ..... Basically it is very narrow band heading ashore that intensifies in the middle .... It looks like a river but instead of heading to sea it is heading from sea to the land ......
    Last edited by bccap; 11-24-2021, 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Wasn't this a Robbie Robertson song?
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Speaking of atmospheric rivers there are another two rolling in .... One tomorrow and one Saturday .....After a couple of days reprieve Abbotsford has plugged the dikes but that is just a temporary fix.... So they aren't really prepared for another one .....
        Abbotsford, B.C., is bracing for the impact of a second atmospheric river forecast to strike on Thursday by Environment Canada.
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

So, all this has been about jet streams?
          Sheesh. I wish the clown who thought up 'atmospheric rivers' had been decently educated.
          ahh, no. (haha)
          Last edited by ptegsotic; 11-24-2021, 06:45 PM.
          1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

A brief blurb on atmospheric rivers ....
            1983 GS 750

Comment

Gonna be a while before the Coquihalla is fully functional again .... Though they are talking about limited traffic soon ... No idea how they plan on pulling that off ....

1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                Gonna be a while before the Coquihalla is fully functional again .... Though they are talking about limited traffic soon ... No idea how they plan on pulling that off ....

Kind of crazy, standing on a bridge, the exact neighbour of which has just been washed away...
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

A brief blurb on atmospheric rivers ....
                  https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2...lNMzQLDd0vQmRk
                  Sure, and when it's summer, and the fronts aren't as intense, let's call them "atmospheric creeks".

add: and just then the radio announcer said"...and there are three more atmospheric rivers coming next week - an atmospheric river is like a river in the sky" Ok, then. I have to laugh: three rivers? In the sky? haw haw !It's not so annoying when it's bizarre. And when they feel the need to tack on explanations, well!
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-27-2021, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                    Sure, and when it's summer, and the fronts aren't as intense, let's call them "atmospheric creeks".

add: and just then the radio announcer said"...and there are three more atmospheric rivers coming next week - an atmospheric river is like a river in the sky" Ok, then. I have to laugh: three rivers? In the sky? haw haw !It's not so annoying when it's bizarre. And when they feel the need to tack on explanations, well!
                    I'm really having a hard time understanding why this phrase seems to bother people .... It's a meteorology term coined by those who do the science..... I've got a deal with them ..... I don't tell them what words to use in describing their science and they don't tell me I'm being silly and should just call it the " left " side of the ship .....
                    1983 GS 750

Comment

It's just another example of dumbing down.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

It's just another example of dumbing down.
                        Newspeak for especially stupid people who go anywhere but their phone for weather!
                        All those weather bimbos facing the axe trying to sensationalize meteorology.

Hurricane chicken little television is bad enough but rebranding a naturally fluctuating phenomenon to cause alarm and frantic mouse clicking is sad.
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I'm really having a hard time understanding why this phrase seems to bother people .... It's a meteorology term coined by those who do the science..... I've got a deal with them ..... I don't tell them what words to use in describing their science and they don't tell me I'm being silly and should just call it the " left " side of the ship .....
                          some folks' heads are going to explode!

A new type of weather condition has been observed, existing primarily in one particular part of the world: compact, slow-moving, moisture-rich pools.
                          1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Maybe you could try egging them on.....no ship has openings called starboard holes, and sailors, while some may be portly, drink mostly rum, not port to get "grog"gy; only canoeists portage, ships have no room for portcullis but a portmanteau is not uncommon for many passengers.

But all can say Merry Christmas to you
                            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                              Newspeak for especially stupid people who go anywhere but their phone for weather!
                              All those weather bimbos facing the axe trying to sensationalize meteorology.

Hurricane chicken little television is bad enough but rebranding a naturally fluctuating phenomenon to cause alarm and frantic mouse clicking is sad.
                              I think your attitude would be different if you had to experience it.
                              Central CA and BC have been getting the worst of it so far
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Is there a technical definition describing an "atmospheric river?" If not, the term is a media creation. Not the first time.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X