Living in the atmospheric river, PNW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    I'm laughing here, because the term, "atmospheric river" is from the 90's.
    really? Well they've just discovered it here. They said it about a million times yesterday and it's driving me nuts.

Comment

A Tillamook couple got quite the sight Friday afternoon. Mariana Travis told KATU her husband was meeting her on her lunch break, when he noticed something unusual. "I think I saw a camper floating down the river," Travis said her husband said to her. She said they went to investigate and sure enough there was a camper floating down the Trask River. "It was scary; the water was right to the edge," said Travis.

I stay at a friends house on the Trask River, near this photo
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Semi truck was almost blown off the deception pass bridge.
        Semitruck tips on Deception Pass bridge (msn.com)
        Last edited by RustyTank; 11-18-2021, 12:07 PM.
        Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
        1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Not the PNW but the rain has been relentless here. The ground is a soggy mess.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Actually, the atmospheric river isn't a buzz phrase. Here is a picture of it, worldwide that you can cursor move to show wind patterns anywhere in the world.
            See current wind, weather, ocean, and pollution conditions, as forecast by supercomputers, on an interactive animated map. Updated every three hours.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I heard that the phrases Atmospheric River and Pineapple Express are referring to the same phenomenon.
              Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                Semi truck was almost blown off the deception pass bridge.
                Semitruck tips on Deception Pass bridge (msn.com)
                The keel effect of wind is not really unusual especially when the truck is running light (no load)

I have experienced lesser versions of it with small vans and a couple of times with five-ton box-body trucks.

Bikes can also be susceptible . I have been blown sideways right out of my lane while riding on ice.
                My scariest experience was in summer when I was hit by a microburst near Peoria, Illinois. It hit me and the semi I had just passed .
                The crosswind hit so hard and so fast that even behind a windshield at 80mph my rain suit was instantly filled with water and I was about 15 to 20 feet off the left side of the road on a (most fortunately!) very wide shoulder area.

What made it scary was my mirrors: they showed the semi I had just passed to my right had also been blown off the road and was now directly behind me!
                Last edited by argonsagas; 11-18-2021, 12:34 PM.
                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                  I heard that the phrases Atmospheric River and Pineapple Express are referring to the same phenomenon.
                  kinda.
                  a pineapple express is a TYPE of atmospheric river that
                  -eminates from Hawaii
                  -is a warmer 'river'
                  -tends to sweep UP as it approaches california

these latest storms were not the pineapple express variety.
                  Last edited by ptegsotic; 11-18-2021, 06:29 PM.
                  1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post
                    kinda.
                    a pineapple express is a TYPE of atmospheric river that
                    -eminates from Hawaii
                    -is a warmer 'river'
                    -tends to sweep UP as it approaches california

these latest storms were not the pineapple express variety.
                    Thanks for the explanation pt. That helps.
                    Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                      The keel effect of wind is not really unusual especially when the truck is running light (no load)

I have experienced lesser versions of it with small vans and a couple of times with five-ton box-body trucks.

Bikes can also be susceptible . I have been blown sideways right out of my lane while riding on ice.
                      My scariest experience was in summer when I was hit by a microburst near Peoria, Illinois. It hit me and the semi I had just passed .
                      The crosswind hit so hard and so fast that even behind a windshield at 80mph my rain suit was instantly filled with water and I was about 15 to 20 feet off the left side of the road on a (most fortunately!) very wide shoulder area.

What made it scary was my mirrors: they showed the semi I had just passed to my right had also been blown off the road and was now directly behind me!
                      Damn!

I was driving an almost empty u-haul truck during an overnight run, heading east through the Columbia river gorge, out of Portland, OR on my way to Coeur De' Alene, ID, trying to get there next day. The wind traveling through the Columbia gorge is known to get pretty nasty at times. There were moments while driving that truck where I swore we were gonna fly away, the wind was so strong.
                      Ryan

Comment

We have so fvcked the environment that bizarre and wild is the new normal for weather. I wouldn't want to be young and looking at the future from a more longterm vantage.
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                          Actually, the atmospheric river isn't a buzz phrase. Here is a picture of it, worldwide that you can cursor move to show wind patterns anywhere in the world.
                          https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...=-90.874,7.816
                          The term "atmospheric river" or "jet stream" doesn't inform of the nature of the embedded systems. Pacific Low pressure systems drawing warm ocean air from more southerly latitudes with their counter-clockwise rotation.... air that is warm and contains moisture to cooler climes. (With mountains topped with cooler air even.) And THESE were the crucial feature in the flow not so much the flow itself, which shifts seasonally anyways. In other words, saying there's a jet stream or atmosheric river aiming at us doesn't mean much in and of itself. But a warm deep low..or a "Pineapple Express" that says there's a bunch of these in the flow, gets me looking for my gumboots or later in the year; snowshovel ..
                          Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-19-2021, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            The term "atmospheric river" or "jet stream" doesn't inform of the nature of the embedded systems. Pacific Low pressure systems drawing warm ocean air from more southerly latitudes with their counter-clockwise rotation.... air that is warm and contains moisture to cooler climes. (With mountains topped with cooler air even.) And THESE were the crucial feature in the flow not so much the flow itself, which shifts seasonally anyways. In other words, saying there's a jet stream or atmosheric river aiming at us doesn't mean much in and of itself. But a warm deep low..or a "Pineapple Express" that says there's a bunch of these in the flow, gets me looking for my gumboots or later in the year; snowshovel ..
                            an atmospheric river could 'hitch a ride' on a jet stream ... but they are different phenomena, right?

jet streams are wind barriers that seperate cold & warmer air facilitated by earth's rotation.

atmospheric rivers are moisture bands being transported out of the tropics

at least, that's how I understood it.
                            1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

........ I just wish they'd give the weather office a thesaurus. "atmospheric rivers" is clumsy pardigm,IMO.
                              A river generally follows a mappable course and it would make more sense to say "the atmospheric river has broken it's dikes" if it suited the case(which it doesn't)

...but I heard one genius refer to it as "a parade of storms" and he even mentioned sub-tropical air...

It's a la Nina year apparently. Do note that "jet stream" is still used in some circles.
                              LaNina_winter_globe_updated_large_0.jpg

Comment

So, all this has been about jet streams?
                                Sheesh. I wish the clown who thought up 'atmospheric rivers' had been decently educated.
                                ---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X