Has anyone here done a DNA text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone here done a DNA text

Has anyone here done a DNA text. I did and there is an incredible amount of data on your health, and ancestry.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Things change over time, and I have not looked into this for a few years, but they have previously been shown to be unreliable.

There were many reports of bias built into the tests themselves and each "lab" had different biases.

When tests were done by separate test facilities on the same person's DNA there were significantly different results.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

My Scottish wife's sister did it...she found out she's mostly Irish. It's been a running joke for over a month now. lol

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I really want to get our dog tested. Supposed to be Lab/Heeler, but I am not trusting the Lab half.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
          Things change over time, and I have not looked into this for a few years, but they have previously been shown to be unreliable.

There were many reports of bias built into the tests themselves and each "lab" had different biases.

When tests were done by separate test facilities on the same person's DNA there were significantly different results.
          CBC Marketplace did a show on them last year ..... They took samples to a real lab for analysis and then sent the same samples to the various companies that offer the service to the public .... The results were all over the place and though I can't remember the percentage that matched the " real " lab it wasn't very high ...... And the competing companies were not even consistent with each other ..... They also found a correlation between how the customer filled out the accompanying form with the results that were returned to them ......
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

That right there makes me less interested in doing this, though my sisters all did.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              That right there makes me less interested in doing this, though my sisters all did.
              Curious, were the results for all of your sisters’ tests consistent, assuming they all have the same biological parents? Did they all have the test done by the same company?

I’m interested because I’m adopted, and while I have no interest in tracking down by bio-parents, there are some things I’d like to know.
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 11-13-2021, 08:39 PM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yeah, the results were pretty consistent, though my youngest sister's (she is 14 years younger than the oldest) were a bit different from the overall pattern. If the three of them are any barometer, we have a lot of Slavic blood and a fair amount of Scandinavian, with some English and German thrown in for good measure.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

I'm 1/16th mohawk.
                  The rest is schnauzer.
                  2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                  82 gs1100L probably the next project
                  1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                  1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                    I'm 1/16th mohawk.
                    The rest is schnauzer.
                    I'm half "pug".

My youngest nicknamed me, "Pugster". lol

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

We did use the ancestry test. My wife was adopted and wanted to know her lineage for health reasons. That was quite revealing and sparked some "intersting" conversations with her mother. Her "real" father was a scapegoat and the whole family was in on the story. She did find a 99% match for her biological father. Now the questions arise. Should she contact him? Would he want to talk? Does he even know?

My mom never met her dad and knows next to nothing about his side of the family. Since her mom, my grandmother, had a very mobile and liberal lifestyle, there are likely siblings and cousins all over New England.

I've had matches and reached out to folks. Some overseas in Australia and England and some here in the states.

My wife's adopted dad, who's not living anymore, had a son he never knew about before he met her mom. That son, my wife's adopted brother, had no idea he had a Mexican father. He thought he was a Philipino. As a result of the 23 and me test, he now knows his family. He and my wife were connected through her family and eventually shared photos and stories. We had a video call with him and his resemblance to her dad was incredible. Even his mannerisms were similar.

We've enjoyed learning all this, for the most part. Seeing where ancestors came from and when is really interesting.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      I’m interested because I’m adopted, and while I have know interest in tracking down by bio-parents, there are some things I’d like to know.
                      Last edited by Burque73; 11-13-2021, 12:19 PM.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by metalfab View Post
                        Has anyone here done a DNA text. I did and there is an incredible amount of data on your health, and ancestry.
                        I have
                        100% white European

Small bit of French doubtless via Norman's
                        14% Scandinavian Go Vikings!
                        The tes was no granular enough to indicate regions . I think this is largely due to the mad stirring of loins and dna after trains made it possible for one not to marry yor cousin

All medical conditions present in me were correct
                        Thankfully none of the horrible stuff is present
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I'm not going to take a test until I'm able to study for it.

Comment

I recently read that the tests available to the public are not reliable, and rarely agree with each other. I don't recall the source.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

My dad did the test through Ancestry. For history buffs - he plans to share his results with the Early Settlers of New Haven research project. One of their goals is to identify the descendants of the signers of the Fundamental Agreement (sometimes called 'Articles' or 'Orders' as well) of 4 June 1639, which is considered by some as the first Constitution in the Western tradition, and it is why Connecticut is called the Constitution state.

As a direct ancestor of a signer I am a deed holder of the New Haven green, the first public space in America. I can't build condos on it (dang!) but it's kind of cool. So my dad's expression 'all that history and a couple of bucks will buy a cup of coffee' still holds true in my case.
                              Last edited by oldGSfan; 11-13-2021, 02:14 PM.
                              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                              X