Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me '82 GS650G - Turn signals not working, other random lights off

Hi all,

Traded a spare, unused computer I had for a 1982 GS650G with recent maintenance done and clean title. Cosmetically 6/10, but drives smooth! This is the first Suzuki I've ever owned, and hoping to get her ready for daily commuting for Spring.

I tried getting the turn signals to work, but no matter which way I set the switch to, I can't seem to get any light to work. Would this most likely be a short somewhere, or reg/rec? Maybe a relay or fuse?

Other lights not working:

* Neutral Indicator
    * High Beams not switching on
    * Brake Applied Light from Handlebar

Gear indicator, oil, and other lights working fine, so maybe y'all have some idea here of where to possibly go!

Thanks for any and all help, in advance.

I use a test light first of all to see if you have voltage on the in and out side of the switch. I usually find the handlebar switches have to be taken apart, cleaned, regreased and reassembled. Maybe I'm just lucky but that's what I generally find. Great deal on a GS btw.
    1986 1150EF
    2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Hopefully you can see this wiring diagram link…

do turn signals come “on” but not flash or…? Is headlight bulb high beam dead?
      ground connections on these critters are suspects.
      a multimeter is a must for wiring fun.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        do turn signals come “on” but not flash or…? Is headlight bulb high beam dead?
        ground connections on these critters are suspects.
        a multimeter is a must for wiring fun.
        I was able to see the link, thank you, much better than the older, scanned Black and white diagram I see floating around.

Turn signals do NOT come on at all, all bulbs new, cleaned out the Fuse block and new fuses.
        Headlight comes on, and high beam works as well, same with the switch for the high/low beam.

I'll take a multimeter to it during the next sunny day!

Any common grounds I should look for to clean up?

Comment

Sounds like maybe the flasher itself is bad. I’m not sure about the 650 but the one on the 550 was originally located near the battery box and R/R on a metal tab connected to the frame. It should be a small black two or three prong box and can be replaced with one from an auto parts store if necessary.

To add: the connector from the harness side on the 550 is a small L-shaped plastic one that slides directly onto the flasher so you may need to look for something similar on yours
          Last edited by cowboyup3371; 11-22-2021, 07:47 AM.
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Sounds like maybe the flasher itself is bad. I’m not sure about the 650 but the one on the 550 was originally located near the battery box and R/R on a metal tab connected to the frame. It should be a small black two or three prong box and can be replaced with one from an auto parts store if necessary.

To add: the connector from the harness side on the 550 is a small L-shaped plastic one that slides directly onto the flasher so you may need to look for something similar on yours
            Would the flasher cause the lights not to turn on at all? I have a Sparcks Moto universal on the Honda I can swap over to the GS to check later today.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Sounds like maybe the flasher itself is bad.

Well, I went ahead and tested out the flasher relay from the Honda, and sure enough, the lights came on as if nothing were wrong at all.

Looks like I am going to order another, and slap it somewhere safe since the old one was just hanging around near the bottom of the airbox.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Good to hear; depending on what you mean by just hanging around at the bottom of the air box, you may find the actual attachment point is in that area. Either way, you can still just go to your local automotive parts house and get a simple one from them.
                sigpic
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                X