Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New '82 GS650G - Winter Restoration

Hello all!

Portland OR, 6'5" tall rider here, this is my first time owning any kind of Suzuki, a 1982 GS650G that I got from a trade just yesterday. I'm the 3rd owner, and cosmetically, its a bit beat up. Mechanically, riding strong @21k miles and compression/fluids all came back well after checking, with the random spike in idle to 2k rpm from what I think a carb sync would clear up. Electronically, not doing so well with turn signals not working, and some other oddities that I made a separate post about in the Electrical-Forum here.

My main ride is a 2017 Triumph Thruxton, and I've got an '82 Honda CB750C that I'm also restoring for a friend. This Suzuki will mainly be ridden by my housemate who just passed her Team Oregon (Oregon's MSF) and got her Endorsement all settled. Figured I'd share my knowledge/tools, and teach some useful troubleshooting/maintenance along the way for this starter ride.

Thanks for havin' me, and stay safe out there!

256698196_413053543765223_4575450749905530459_n.jpg

Welcome.

Even though an experienced rider and wrencher, don’t overlook the top 10 Newbie mistakes thread linked in my signature. There’s some specific GS things you’ll find useful. Manuals and technical how-tos for lots of things can be found on BikeCliff’s Website, also in my signature.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

That's exactly what I was hoping to find! Thanks a ton. Now, to get that electrical system checked out!

Comment

I recently bought a gs650gl. Even a a tall guy (6'4"), I like the bike. I modified the seat to take out the "L" hump, giving it an ugly, but functional flat seat a hair shorter than the pillion portion. This allows me to plant my butt anywhere along its length and get a good riding position. Such a thing would also allow nearly any rider to be comfortable on it (except maybe the smallest of riders).
        81 GS650GL

Comment

HOw was modifying the bike to take out the hump? Did you grab a whole new seat or was there cutting involved?

Comment

Originally posted by deeveeance View Post
            HOw was modifying the bike to take out the hump? Did you grab a whole new seat or was there cutting involved?
            To do it, I removed the stock seat cover and cut just a bit of foam off the back of the seat. I then added foam to the front part to bring it level with the back. Last step was making a new seat cover.

I saw your other post about your brakes and saw that you have a 650g. That seat wouldn't need as drastic of foam mods to get a flat seat. I didn't cut the seat pan, and I don't think you would have to either. I put over 900 miles on the seat and like the design, but not my execution, so I'll redo it this winter.

Last edited by adamdaz; 11-16-2021, 11:44 AM. Reason: Add photo
            81 GS650GL

Comment

Welcome to the madhouse.... Note that you can update the brakes easily on that model.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Took her out on a ride today and did notice the rears are chattering up! Update or Upgrade? Links to pads?

Comment

Working...
                X