I got the shaft today. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the shaft today. :)

While having my morning coffee today I was doing my usual..browsing bikes for sale....and this popped up...1979 GS850G
    The ad said "No paperwork, and no keys...$600"....luckily no paperwork is not a problem here...
    Looks to me that someone likely in the early life of the bike added the 4-1 exhaust, the superbike bars, fork brace and Shoei fairing...

No signature

What is that doing in your garage?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      What is that doing in your garage?
      Lol...well to be honest I have always liked the look of the 850g with the right bars....I'm intrigued by the period correct parts..
      No signature

Comment

Well, I hope you like it better than I liked mine.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Hey, you should have some fun with that.

You say intrigued by the period correct parts.
          THat mean you intend to reinstall the stock exhaust pictured there?
          Or you mean that the installed exhaust seems to be from-the-day?

Oh, now I see....
          79 exhaust does not have the crossover/PreMuffler like I remember my 80 850G had.
          Okay, the stock exhaust you have looks complete.

If you are going to use/install it, you might concider getting new "connectors" (7) if the pipes fit in there too loose.

79 should have the "black" "hub" in rear wheel that last lot longer. But still might want to get familiar with those.

I see you have period-correct case savers also.

SOmething other to check, see if still has points .

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Hey, you should have some fun with that.

You say intrigued by the period correct parts.
            THat mean you intend to reinstall the stock exhaust pictured there?
            Or you mean that the installed exhaust seems to be from-the-day?

Oh, now I see....
            79 exhaust does not have the crossover/PreMuffler like I remember my 80 850G had.
            Okay, the stock exhaust you have looks complete.

If you are going to use/install it, you might concider getting new "connectors" (7) if the pipes fit in there too loose.

79 should have the "black" "hub" in rear wheel that last lot longer. But still might want to get familiar with those.

I see you have period-correct case savers also.

SOmething other to check, see if still has points .
            Thanks Dave, yes the after market parts...the fork brace looks cool and love the superbike bars....not sure how into it i'll get...but I know sometimes I get carried away. lol....we shall see I guess.
            No signature

Comment

Should at least look good after you detail it. Must bother you terribly to have a bike that filthy stinking up the place.

congrats.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                Should at least look good after you detail it. Must bother you terribly to have a bike that filthy stinking up the place.

congrats.
                Lol...you know me too well. I'll get on it this week...always interesting to see the difference.
                No signature

Comment

Trevor, if your thinkin of gettin rid of that exhaust let me know
                  Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                  1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                    Trevor, if your thinkin of gettin rid of that exhaust let me know
                    Not sure if they are in great shape....i did see a little pin hole....
                    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      Not sure if they are in great shape.... . . . . . . . . . .
                      Am not seeing the two flanges (4) for the separate exhaust pipes.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Would maybe be easier to get it up on centerstand if had the grab handle (12) to hold onto.

THose usally get removed when sidebags are mounted.
                        Same with the bar (2) around the back of the seat on 79-80-81.

ANd then when dont have the grab handle, then grab the edge of the seat and bust up the lower trim piece ( 7 - 8), and/or dont bother to replace when put on a replacement seat cover.
                        Last edited by Redman; 11-16-2021, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                          Would maybe be easier to get it up on center stand if had the grab handle (12) to hold onto.

Trevor let me know if you need that side grab handle (12) that Redman is referring to. I'm fairly certain I have one in a box.
                          Also, look at the parts for sale section here on the forum. Several of us, including myself, have 850 parts to practically give away.
                          Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                          1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                            Trevor let me know if you need that side grab handle (12) that Redman is referring to. I'm fairly certain I have one in a box.
                            Also, look at the parts for sale section here on the forum. Several of us, including myself, have 850 parts to practically give away.
                            Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help!
                            No signature

Comment

Cool looking bike. The 70's mods just look right.
                              1986 1150EF
                              2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Working...
                              X