2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

That should clean right up. Nice find.
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
        That should clean right up. Nice find.
        Thanks...I'm going to try and clean it up today but my finger that I recently got operated on is giving me some issues...gotta get it looked at this morning.
        No signature

Comment

The 850 runs smoother than most other GS's. I'm not sure exactly why but it just is. Something about the rotating mass with pistons/rods of that size. I've read that the Yamaha 900 shafty is also very smooth. And because the engine is smooth it's comfortable spinning it out. I'm sure Brian will tell you a thing or two about that. The 850 also has a wonderful seat. Just about a perfect balance of cushion and firmness. Suzuki did a lot of things right with that model. It's no coincidence that they kept building the 850 into the late 1980's for some markets.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            The 850 runs smoother than most other GS's. I'm not sure exactly why but it just is. Something about the rotating mass with pistons/rods of that size. I've read that the Yamaha 900 shafty is also very smooth. And because the engine is smooth it's comfortable spinning it out. I'm sure Brian will tell you a thing or two about that. The 850 also has a wonderful seat. Just about a perfect balance of cushion and firmness. Suzuki did a lot of things right with that model. It's no coincidence that they kept building the 850 into the late 1980's for some markets.
            In 1979 I bought a new gs850g my first 4 stroke Suzuki and the 2 things I remember most about that bike is the excellent seat and how smooth it was. 1n 84 I got a use 84 gs1100gk. It always had a buzz in the bars and the seat was not as comfortable.
            About 8 months ago I got an 80 gs850g that was sitting in an old warehouse since 87. Now that I have it running. It has a terrible buzz in the bars and not as smooth as my 82gs1100e. I have checked everything I can think of and added foam grips and bar end weights that have helped.
            Jerry
            1981 GS650E
            1982 GS1100E
            2018 Can AM Spyder
            1980 GS1000G (parts)

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
              In 1979 I bought a new gs850g my first 4 stroke Suzuki and the 2 things I remember most about that bike is the excellent seat and how smooth it was. 1n 84 I got a use 84 gs1100gk. It always had a buzz in the bars and the seat was not as comfortable.
              About 8 months ago I got an 80 gs850g that was sitting in an old warehouse since 87. Now that I have it running. It has a terrible buzz in the bars and not as smooth as my 82gs1100e. I have checked everything I can think of and added foam grips and bar end weights that have helped.
              Check the condition of all rubber mount engine and exhaust if equipped.
              Carb synch?
              Last edited by Cipher; 11-21-2021, 10:58 AM.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

The carbs are Synched gut I don't remember if there are rubber mounts on the exhaust mounting to the oil pan. So I will check that for sure.
                Thanks for the input
                Jerry
                1981 GS650E
                1982 GS1100E
                2018 Can AM Spyder
                1980 GS1000G (parts)

Comment

The 850s tend to break a front engine mount bolt and that gives rise to further resonance.
                  Mine broke one for no good reason (well, I suspect the resonances on the downtubes were to blame) and it did it purely because of age, I reckon.
                  I've also seen an 850 frame with the downtubes cracked right through, but that had done a huge mileage.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I like that fork brace

I have one just like it, with no markings except "forged"
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Neato! Same year/model as mine. When I bought it, it had an electronic ignition and new coils already installed. Then I swapped the head and carbs for a CV setup because I did not like the VM carbs. If the bolt spacing works (I haven't checked), I may swap out the front calipers for the '80 calipers at some point. At which point it will effectively be a 1980 with a kickstart.

I should look into a fork brace for mine.
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        I like that fork brace

I have one just like it, with no markings except "forged"
                        Where can ya get a fork brace like that T?
                        Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                        1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                          If the bolt spacing works (I haven't checked), I may swap out the front calipers for the '80 calipers at some point.
                          They do. Mine does just that.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                            Where can ya get a fork brace like that T?
                            It came to me in a pile of parts
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                              ...I should look into a fork brace for mine.
                              Some better fork springs and oil to match will do far more for the front end than a fork brace will. Probably a little cheaper too.
                              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Working...
                              X