Lucid dreaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucid dreaming

Lucid dreaming , which could be called dream control, has long been considered something only rare individuals could do, but in recent years it has attracted considerable attention..
    Researchers are looking into it more and more and are both searching for and finding ways to induce it.

This lengthy article explains quite a bit about what it is and what the scientific/medical community is doing.

The ability to control our dreams is a skill that more of us are seeking to acquire for sheer pleasure. But if taken seriously, scientists believe it could unlock new secrets of the mind
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

I have yet to read the article but, this 1984 classic is the first thing that popped into my head while reading your post.

Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Never knew about that movie, but I agree the tagline at the top could fit this category, as there is nothing that is exempt from dreams.

I do not know how widespread this point may be, but lucid dreaming allows changes and some control of the dream while it progresses but if things get out of hand the dreamer becomes aware of this and can move to a more conscious/waking state.
      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

And in the REM blink of an eye the phrase ' You must be dreaming ' takes on a whole new meaning!
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

See "Journey To Ixtlan" by Carlos Castaneda (1972). Been studying it for decades. It's called "setting up dreaming."

Step 1. Find your hands. It doesn't even have to be your hands. I was able to briefly do this several years ago, but have not been able to repeat it.
          Last edited by Rob S.; 11-19-2021, 01:13 AM.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            See "Journet To Ixtlan" by Carlos Castaneda (1972). Been studying it for decades. It's called "setting up dreaming."

Step 1. Find your hands. It doesn't even have to be your hands. I was able to briefly do this several years ago, but have not been able to repeat it.
            The book appears to be part of a series of three, all on the same or similar subject.

They are all available on Amazon.

Please clarify the situation on them, as I began questioning the value when I read an Amazon's summary that suggested there is some involvement with hallucinogenic drugs
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
              The book appears to be part of a series of three, all on the same or similar subject.

some involvement with hallucinogenic drugs(?)
              This is the third in a series of about a dozen, but it's the place to start. As the author states in the introduction, for the first two books he was under the (false) impression that hallucinogenic states were the only way to learn what was being taught.

Journey To Ixtlan is like wilderness survival training taken to the nth degree. Trapping and eating snakes and squirrels, running from mountain lions and other things that go bump in the night.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The series of books by Castenada are cataloged in the anthropology section. They detail his meeting and involvement with a Yaqui Indian sorcerer ( Don Juan) who befriends him and teaches him about a separate reality. The use of hallucinating plants is described by Casteneda, however they are not the main focus of what Don Juan is trying to teach him. There is a wit and wisdom to Don Juan's teachings that is absolutely beautiful as he breaks down Carlos's reasoning faculties and shows him another reality. Well worth investigating this series, especially the first three or four books.

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
                  The series of books by Castenada are cataloged in the anthropology section. They detail his meeting and involvement with a Yaqui Indian sorcerer ( Don Juan) who befriends him and teaches him about a separate reality. The use of hallucinating plants is described by Casteneda, however they are not the main focus of what Don Juan is trying to teach him. There is a wit and wisdom to Don Juan's teachings that is absolutely beautiful as he breaks down Carlos's reasoning faculties and shows him another reality. Well worth investigating this series, especially the first three or four books.
                  I found a spoken-word version of the book on youtube, and listened to the 18 minute introduction.
                  I did not see an immediate connection between what was said and the thread topic of lucid dreaming, but there is certainly suggestion that other depths are coming in the reading..
                  The total time of the videos is more than ten hours, and I expect Youtube will shove in many commercials aimed at distracting and deeply annoying viewers, so I would greatly prefer the actual book.

For anyone wanting to visit this version here is the link:

A club for lovers of books, audiobooks, e-books - http://vk.com/club93942141The thought — action of the mind, mind, mind. Final or intermediate result of thi...
                  Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I did not see an immediate connection between what was said and the thread topic of lucid dreaming...I would greatly prefer the actual book.
                    It's like training with any great master. You don't learn to fly in the first lesson.

I gave you the first step, which was revealed near the end of Journey To Ixtlan. It is unlikely you'll be able to find your hands in your dreams if you're not living a tight, efficient life. It took me many years, and I never advanced further.

Get a softcover edition of Journey To Ixtlan. The 'sequel' is Tales Of Power.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      It's like training with any great master. You don't learn to fly in the first lesson.

I gave you the first step, which was revealed near the end of Journey To Ixtlan. It is unlikely you'll be able to find your hands in your dreams if you're not living a tight, efficient life. It took me many years, and I never advanced further.

Get a softcover edition of Journey To Ixtlan. The 'sequel' is Tales Of Power.
                      Thanks for the tip, Rob.
                      The subject is of interest to me and, having just finished Peppermint Patti's book, I am ready for a new read.
                      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Everyone has commonly done this. Some put more effort into it than others and are consequently better at it. There is nothing magical or mystical to the suggestive process and self programming.
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                          Everyone has commonly done this. Some put more effort into it than others and are consequently better at it. There is nothing magical or mystical to the suggestive process and self programming.
                          Aaahhh....if this is your base, you must have a fair amount of knowledge of voxel-based morphometry.
                          For others, it is explained here: :

Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Aaahhh....if this is your base, you must have a fair amount of knowledge of voxel-based morphometry.
                            For others, it is explained here: :
                            https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-36190-w

Or, basically an MRI activity detection. Simple stuff, nothing magic about it.
                            Last edited by earlfor; 11-21-2021, 04:50 PM.
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Rob.
                              The subject is of interest to me and, having just finished Peppermint Patti's book, I am ready for a new read.
                              Order placed with Amazon today.

Thanks again for the tip.
                              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                              X