Breather Location when running K&N Pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breather Location when running K&N Pods

So for the last 12+ years I've run a small K&N filter on the end of an elongated breather hose routed back through the frame to the under seat area. It sits above the battery in a spray paint can lid that is fixed to a bracket attached to the old airbox mounting.... It has a rag underneath it which I change out when I remember, usually at oil change time as it doesn't collect a lot of oil.

Anyway I thought I'd see what other people did as I'm currently working in that area..... show me what you've got!
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    So for the last 12+ years I've run a small K&N filter on the end of an elongated breather hose routed back through the frame to the under seat area. It sits above the battery in a spray paint can lid that is fixed to a bracket attached to the old airbox mounting.... It has a rag underneath it which I change out when I remember, usually at oil change time as it doesn't collect a lot of oil.

Anyway I thought I'd see what other people did as I'm currently working in that area..... show me what you've got!
    similar set up ... have a hoseclamp around frame crossbar under rear of tank ... with a pvc cap attached to hoseclamp excess-tab dangling down. Breather tube to the right length that sits inside.
    One bike has k&n on end of tube
    One just has tube into pvc cap.
    Never noticed any difference.
    Haven't noticed any need for rag.
    1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Long time no see!

That location will probably suit my plans better so that's one option at least! Thanks mate.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Long time no see!

That location will probably suit my plans better so that's one option at least! Thanks mate.
        it's all 'dangling' ... but it's up out of the way.
        cheers beers
        I think I had inner tube btwn crossbar and hoseclamp
        1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Maybe overkill but I put a 300ml catch can under the seat, it was $25 off Amazon and just fit.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Do you “catch” much?
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

There's a dipstick and I've checked after a couple 30 minute rides since I put it on, no oil is registering yet.
              Do you “catch” much?
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

On my latest GS1000 it has Ramair foam filters. On the end of the breather pipe I put a plastic T piece and a hole in insides of filters. The T ends are pushed into foam and any fumes from breather will get sucked into engine and reburned, hopefully.
                My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

You can also go "old school", even though it's VERY environmentally UN-friendly.

Just put a longer hose on the fitting at the top of the engine, run it along the upper frame tube (hidden) and run it to below the swingarm pivot. Cut an angle on the end so that it creates a bit of vacuum to promote vapor movement.

It's not really as un-friendly as it sounds, though. Your little filters on the end of a shorter hose only catch liquids, not vapor. There is some mesh at the engine end of the hose that should catch all the liquid in the first place, so it should ALL be vapor. It's just a matter of having one last place for the vapors to condense before hitting the atmosphere.

Comment

Where are you guys buying your PCV caps? I just ran a tube out the back of the bike but wouldn't mind capping it just for peace of mind.

Mark
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1998 ZX-6R
                    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                      Where are you guys buying your PCV caps? I just ran a tube out the back of the bike but wouldn't mind capping it just for peace of mind.

Mark
                      home depot etc (??)
                      1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Yeah I understand a longer hose is also an option... My does not breathe heavy by any means and the wire mesh is inside the breather plate.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Rear 2020.jpgI have a piece of 3/4" hose terminated into a small K&N filter down by the center-stand mount
                          Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                          Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

All good stuff... It's funny how many ways we have to crack the same nut!
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post
                              home depot etc (??)
                              A PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) cap is an automotive part, why would Home Despot sell them? Are you thinking PVC instead?

As for my question, never mind. I went on amazon and found they are far more generic than I realized. Pretty much any of them will work and solve my problem...

Mark
                              Last edited by mmattockx; 11-19-2021, 01:39 PM.
                              1982 GS1100E
                              1998 ZX-6R
                              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                              X