Breather Location when running K&N Pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
    A PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) cap is an automotive part, why would Home Despot sell them? Are you thinking PVC instead?

As for my question, never mind. I went on amazon and found they are far more generic than I realized. Pretty much any of them will work and solve my problem...

Mark
    ?
    pvc cap is what I had referred to (2nd post)

(the cap inside diameter, is much larger than the breather tube outside diameter right? there's no 'capping' of tube ... the cap is just a receptacle the breather hose-end rests inside.)
    incidentally, the one breather tube I have with the K & N filter on the end ... sits inside pvc cap with approx 1/4" gap all 'round. But I don't recall what size pvc cap I used. I could go measure if someone needed to know for whatever reason. (?)
    cheers
    Last edited by ptegsotic; 11-19-2021, 05:48 PM.
    1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post
      ?
      pvc cap is what I had referred to (2nd post)
      I misread, was thinking PCV valve.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

My KLR had a Mercedes Reed style PCV valve installed in the breather... allegedly to help with oil consumption. When I removed it after a couple of years of ownership (as there had been reports of them getting blocked & causing crankcase pressure) I learnt that it was snake oil.....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have mine like this.Just dangling,no oil issues.
          Attached Files
          "Never, ever, bloody anything ever"

1980 Suzuki GSX750
          K&N Pods
          4 Into 1 Exhaust
          ES Carbs
          6 Sigma Stage 3 Jet Kit
          KONI Rear Shocks

Comment

I have mine like this.Just dangling,no oil issues.
            Attached Files
            "Never, ever, bloody anything ever"

1980 Suzuki GSX750
            K&N Pods
            4 Into 1 Exhaust
            ES Carbs
            6 Sigma Stage 3 Jet Kit
            KONI Rear Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
              Maybe overkill but I put a 300ml catch can under the seat, it was $25 off Amazon and just fit.

This is good solution although the filter is not needed. Any oil will be caught in the can then run the catch can vent to where ever you please. I ran mine out the back end like old Yosh race bikes. Not much oil was ever in my catch can when I road raced it, street riding will not be much different. Hot rodders use small nice catch cans also
              Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
              Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
              Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I have the long run breather tube terminating down next to the swingarm pivot.

It was summer 2020 and to commemorate the timing, I repurposed an 4oz hand sanitizer bottle. Drilled a 3/4” hole in the bottom of the bottle, ran the end of the breather hose into it, and the bottle hangs upside down. Drilled a hole for a piece of safety wire to keep the hose and bottle together, and then an extra few small holes around the top for atmosphere equalization.

I like it because it’s clear and I can see if anything is accumulating, water or oil. It only collects minor quantities of each. But when it does accumulate, I can just open the flip cap and drain it easily! I get a kick out of it.

81 gs1100E
                81 gs550
                74 xlch 1000 custom
                03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
                76 honda cj360
                72 honda cl350
                2 green parrots

Comment

Originally posted by CincinnatiKid View Post
                  I have the long run breather tube terminating down next to the swingarm pivot.

It was summer 2020 and to commemorate the timing, I repurposed an 4oz hand sanitizer bottle. Drilled a 3/4” hole in the bottom of the bottle, ran the end of the breather hose into it, and the bottle hangs upside down. Drilled a hole for a piece of safety wire to keep the hose and bottle together, and then an extra few small holes around the top for atmosphere equalization.

I like it because it’s clear and I can see if anything is accumulating, water or oil. It only collects minor quantities of each. But when it does accumulate, I can just open the flip cap and drain it easily! I get a kick out of it.
                  for the record I hate hand sanitizer
                  81 gs1100E
                  81 gs550
                  74 xlch 1000 custom
                  03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
                  76 honda cj360
                  72 honda cl350
                  2 green parrots

Comment

Working...
                  X