A Childhood Disease Came Back to Haunt Me This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Childhood Disease Came Back to Haunt Me This Week

I grew up thinking I lucked out, sort of, by not getting chicken pox when I was younger despite being near my brother for the two+ weeks he had it. My mom always warned me to be careful about being around anyone as I grew older since, as she said, I could die if I ever did. Sadly, I received confirmation today that I might have actually had the chicken pox despite not showing any symptoms.

To set the scene, I re-installed the insulation in our work shop area last week after we upgraded the lighting and had a few pieces fall on me as I tried to set them in place with the nail gun. So, when a rash from my right breast around my right arm pit and to my back started late last week, I naturally assumed I only had an allergic reaction to it and things would settle down. But, to satisfy the wife I scheduled a virtual appointment with my primary care manager on base for this Thursday morning. Unfortunately that was not to be and I finally got tired enough of the pain this morning that I asked the boss for time off this afternoon to head out to the base hospital's Emergency Room after learning they didn't have any available appointments before Thursday. Once I got there and into the room, the doctor confirmed my wife's suspicions that I had shingles. I'm now supposed to take a Valtrex horse pill from heck three times a day for the next week, Tylenol for the pain (I'm allergic to Aspirin and NSAIDS), and rub some Bacitracin antibiotic cream over the area four times a day.

The doctor said he was a bit surprised at how young I was since most of the folks they see with it are in their 60s, I'm only 50, and how "stoic - his words not mine" I was being about it.

Has anyone else suffered through shingles and can you offer any advice? It took as long as it did for me to seek the help as I can handle pain fairly well but I am getting tired of it. Fortunately Rose and Charmayne left last week before it became noticeable and was definitely NOT in the infectious stage for her yet but I'll keep covered up and won't hold Rose when they come out for Thanksgiving dinner if it's still around.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Yup, you had chicken pox when you were young -- you just didn't know it. The same thing happens with MOST kids who get COVID -- they don't get sick.

Not everyone who gets exposed to a nasty virus gets sick. It's that simple.

With chicken pox, they now have a vaccine that can prevent shingles. I still have to get mine -- it a two shot deal, similar to the COVID shots, several weeks apart.

From what I've heard -- and now from you -- I do NOT want to get shingles. I had chicken pox when I was a kid -- I think I had mumps or measles at the same time -- but I don't remember much. Because of my previous exposure, I'm a good candidate for a shingles shot.

I've never heard of anyone dying from shingles -- just that it can be nasty, but it is different for everyone. Just like COVID, some people have a mild case, some not.

Best of luck. I hope you get over it easily and quickly.

Unfortunately for you it's too late for a shingles vaccine -- but it's not too late for me and EVERYONE ELSE!!!
    sigpic
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      . . . . . shingles. , , , , .
      Yikes.

Sorry to hear. I understand is painful, and spreads, and can last many days or weeks (what I hear from folks in 60s 70s 80s that had it).
      Sounds like you have been through about a week of it already.

Good that you have attended to it.

My Doctor started recommending shingle vaccine at annual physical, years ago (at 60? 62? 65?) and at each year since. (but doctor office cant administer)
      ANd this time (8? 6? 3? years later) he said the recent vaccine is much better than before, so I went to the effort to get appointment at a Walgreens. (well, first one, 2nd one to be in 2 - 3 months).

Do tell us how it goes.
      Last edited by Redman; 11-16-2021, 10:31 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I got it aged 28 nearly killed me
        Gotta get the shingles vax. 250 bucks well spent anyonre i know who has had shingles didn't recall the first episode
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
          I got it aged 28 nearly killed me
          Gotta get the shingles vax. 250 bucks well spent anyonre i know who has had shingles didn't recall the first episode
          There's a shingles vax???
          Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
          1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Wife had shingles around age 22-23 We weren’t yet married, but living together. She also had chicken pox as a child. Shingles presented as a hand sized rash on one hip. Quickly diagnosed at a clinic. I just asked her to refresh my memory. She said it was mildly painful, and itchy/irritated. As I understand, it’s worse the older you get. Take care Scott. Hope you heal up quickly.
            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 11-16-2021, 11:18 PM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks guys. I still have my virtual appointment with my Primary Care doctor on Thursday so I'll know more about the future plans

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                Yes for several years not free though. I must hit up my drug plan people afain
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Thanks guys. I still have my virtual appointment with my Primary Care doctor on Thursday so I'll know more about the future plans
                  Colloidal oatmeal baths

You can also boil oatmeal in an large volume of water to get a cheap plentiful substitute
                  Halcyon if its still prescribed
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Tough break. I hope it clears ASAP. I haven't been afflicted, so no help there. I was surprised to hear of younger folks coming down with. All but 70, here, so I had all the so called childhood diseases, save Rubella. My father had shingles in his early 60's.

The Zostavax vaccine was pushed some years ago, but was later found to be not very effective. It was completely dropped in the US late last year. The Shingrix vaccine became the new darling several years ago. That's a two part injection, 2 to 6 months apart. It was quite scarce at first and I believe I spent over a year on a waiting list for the first dose. At the time I got it, only over 65 yr. old were getting it paid for and that was on US Medicare. It's now covered on most insurance plans for over 50 ( or 60?) I think. The side effects of the injections are not insignificant. Definitely worth cutting the chances down if you have ever had chickenpox.
                    1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                      Yep, and I highly advise everyone to get it.

Shingles can be much worse than what Cowboy is experiencing.
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The cost of the shingles vaccine depends on what insurance you have. For many, like the COVID vaccine, it's free -- but like any medical procedure you should check first. Your doctor can tell you whether or not you should get it -- and if it is recommended for you, it is well worth the price of admission.
                        sigpic
                        '77 GS550B
                        '78 GS550C

Comment

I grew up thinking I lucked out, sort of, by not getting chicken pox when I was younger despite being near my brother for the two+ weeks he had it. My mom always warned me to be careful about being around anyone as I grew older since, as she said, I could die if I ever did. Sadly, I received confirmation today that I might have actually had the chicken pox despite not showing any symptoms.

To set the scene, I re-installed the insulation in our work shop area last week after we upgraded the lighting and had a few pieces fall on me as I tried to set them in place with the nail gun. So, when a rash from my right breast around my right arm pit and to my back started late last week, I naturally assumed I only had an allergic reaction to it and things would settle down. But, to satisfy the wife I scheduled a virtual appointment with my primary care manager on base for this Thursday morning. Unfortunately that was not to be and I finally got tired enough of the pain this morning that I asked the boss for time off this afternoon to head out to the base hospital's Emergency Room after learning they didn't have any available appointments before Thursday. Once I got there and into the room, the doctor confirmed my wife's suspicions that I had shingles. I'm now supposed to take a Valtrex horse pill from heck three times a day for the next week, Tylenol for the pain (I'm allergic to Aspirin and NSAIDS), and rub some Bacitracin antibiotic cream over the area four times a day.

The doctor said he was a bit surprised at how young I was since most of the folks they see with it are in their 60s, I'm only 50, and how "stoic - his words not mine" I was being about it.

Has anyone else suffered through shingles and can you offer any advice? It took as long as it did for me to seek the help as I can handle pain fairly well but I am getting tired of it. Fortunately Rose and Charmayne left last week before it became noticeable and was definitely NOT in the infectious stage for her yet but I'll keep covered up and won't hold Rose when they come out for Thanksgiving dinner if it's still around.
                          Ask your doctor about Acyclovir (Zovirax), Famciclovir, and Valacyclovir (Valtrex). They are antiviral drugs and can help. The sooner you take them after the onset the better they work. Hope you get better soon, get the shingles vaccine after you get through this.
                          1981 GS1100E
                          1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

I was at the pharmacy picking up some meds and I saw a pamphlet with some graphic photos of a very nasty rash, Shingles. I'd heard of it but had no idea what it could do to your body until then, I made an appointment for vaccination right then, it was free so why not. I've spoken to other people who've had it and they say it can horrendous long lasting and excruciating. I thought it just hit old people but my coffee buddy says he had it at 11 years old which is the youngest I've heard of.

I had chicken pox at 22 or 23 I thought I was dying, fever and the blinding searing headaches were incredible. Chicken Pox is a bit like covid in how it hardly bothers kids but knocks down adults, can we expect a secondary illness from covid in 40-50 years?
                            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by metalfab View Post
                              Ask your doctor about Acyclovir (Zovirax), Famciclovir, and Valacyclovir (Valtrex). They are antiviral drugs and can help. The sooner you take them after the onset the better they work. Hope you get better soon, get the shingles vaccine after you get through this.
                              Metalfab, as I said they gave me Valtrex which I have been taking as prescribed since yesterday afternoon

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                              X