Oil pressure switch wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure switch wire

Hi, as anyone managed to extract the connector for the oil pressure switch from the outer sheaf, they are normally held by a latch have tried various methods but no luck.
    The wire has parted from the connector and I want to reattach as keep as standard?
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

I'm not sure it can come off, and I don't really see how you could re-use the metal connector if it has come off the wire.

However, a few times I've snipped a little channel in the side of a regular old insulated 1/4" female spade connector for this and it works fine.

Crude diagram with crude red snip lines.

Come to think of it, that wire is pretty small, so you'd want to use the next size down, which will be red or pink.

This wire catches a lot of abuse while people are sorting out the carbs, so these connectors get loose or break off the wire pretty often.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Yes I know this is nerdy but I really wanted to keep the bike as original as possible eventually I managed to remove the metal part from the plastic the aim is to prize the two tangs that crimp to the outer sheaf of the wire then re crimp them back and solder the inner core to the connector.
      it took a considerable time to find the tang the latches the inner to the outer using an array of connector removal tools but it can be done.
      you can see the tang that needs to be flattened once that is done the two parts come apart.

Gs850gx oil pressure switch connector
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

Good to know!

We do tend to lean toward the purely functional side around here. Good to know it's possible to de-pin this little oddball connector.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
        X