Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: do you like safety switches?

In a bone-headed attempt to address this sidestand problem, BMW decided to make the stands on the 7-series fully sprung.
    Great idea.
    Except when the bike gets lifted off the stand just enough by the wind to allow the stand to retract... then the wind drops, and so does the bike.
    I was just walking out of an office building towards the bike when I saw it happen.
    Idiots.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

People should just remove it and just use the center stand if they're paranoid of it. Kind of like the waitress that brought me a coffee and told me it was hot, I just told her I knew that because I'm not an idiot.
    1986 1150EF
    2008 GS1250SEA

Quote Originally Posted by Big Block View Post
    People should just remove it and just use the center stand if they're paranoid of it. Kind of like the waitress that brought me a coffee and told me it was hot, I just told her I knew that because I'm not an idiot.
    Because all bikes have centre stands?
    Because all vendors serve coffee at a temperature describable as hot?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

I think everyone should adopt the Honda rubber flipper finger.

Don't get me wrong; I realize this is a problem, and it happens to good riders. I've witnessed the ugly aftermath of more than one GS kickstand incident, and I've set sail more than once with my GS's kickstand dangling in the breeze.

This tends to happen more on group rides, when people are distracted from their normal routine, or hurrying to get going.

The GS system of dimly illuminating a dull red light on the dash is pretty much entirely pointless, but it at least does no harm. (GS clutch switches universally fail and almost all are bypassed; very few ever get repaired and put back into operation.)

However, the "modern" mandated system of installing shoddy 2 cent unsealed switches on the kickstand and clutch that inevitably fail and kill the engine at inopportune times only trades one hazard for a few others.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

Redman is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Our sidestand go quite a ways down and out, and further forward past straight out sideways, so are somewhat pointing forward. And so if/when they hit the pavement, they are getting pushed up-forward more than they are getting pushed back-up.

I maybe one of the cases that Brian bwringer says he witnessed.

Quote Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
    I think everyone should adopt the Honda rubber flipper finger..

I can say that on Hondas, well, Shadow 500s anyway, It is not just the rubber finger thing that provides the function of the pavement throwing the sidestand back if happen to leave it down. THere is also another feature of the sidestand that comes into play here . ANd that feature (hard to decribe) is that the side stand doesnt go much further forward than straight out sideways, is a spring to retract it, but it also hangs kinda limp in the outways direction, doesnt lock into position until some weight is put onto it by leaning the bike over onto it. WHen lean bike over on it it touches down, then bike leans over further with the sidestand going further out. When weight is leant onto it then it locks into position so it stays in position, doesnt let it roll back. WHen is no weight on it, it kinda comes out of this knotch, and can easily be moved back some and the spring retracts it.

Harleys do that also, the sidestand goes about straight out sideways, not forward at all, and when weight is leaned onto it, then it locks into some knotch to hold it in place (to me it looks like the rider didnt put it forward enough).

And, yah, the 79 KZ400 I had, was a thing sticking out from the front sprocket that would come around and hit something that would retract the side stand.
    Last edited by Redman; 11-21-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.