No announcement yet.

do you like safety switches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most all of them are really nice the times they are needed. A pain in the butt when not needed. I totaled my "79" GS1000 "S" from not raising the kick stand. It sure would have been nice if It'd had one that day.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      Most all of them are really nice the times they are needed. A pain in the butt when not needed. I totaled my "79" GS1000 "S" from not raising the kick stand. It sure would have been nice if It'd had one that day.
      I too have left the stand down. There is notable damage. Abrasion from it catching when I banked left after a straight and level takeoff.
      Two near spills. The gs sidestand idiot light loses salience after a while.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        I can remember suavely standing next to my bike, gearing up suavely. Suavely turning the key. Suavely hitting the button and watching the bike suavely launch itself without me aboard. Good times!

I'm guessing it didn't go too far until you had to pick it up.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I'm also guilty of taking off with the kick stand down but for some odd reason nothing happened until after I had pulled out to pass a truck. Kept on going until I rounded a left hand curve then I felt like something bad had happened. Didn't know if I had blown a tire or what but something was pushing me violently to the right side of the road.
          Lucky for me, the road forced the kick stand back up almost all the way. I could see some scraping on the front of it. Scared the crap out of me for just a little while.
          Here's hoping I don't ever forget that moment.

edit: this was just a couple of weeks ago, so still very fresh in my mind.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

The Z400B in our garage has a side stand retract mechanism driven off the drive sprocket. If the bike moves forward the stand retracts. It can be a pain when shifting the bike in the garage as you can forget that the stand is no longer down. Maybe I need a stand up warning lamp? Maybe I just need to look?
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

In a bone-headed attempt to address this sidestand problem, BMW decided to make the stands on the 7-series fully sprung.
              Great idea.
              Except when the bike gets lifted off the stand just enough by the wind to allow the stand to retract... then the wind drops, and so does the bike.
              I was just walking out of an office building towards the bike when I saw it happen.
              Idiots.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

People should just remove it and just use the center stand if they're paranoid of it. Kind of like the waitress that brought me a coffee and told me it was hot, I just told her I knew that because I'm not an idiot.
                1986 1150EF
                2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
                  People should just remove it and just use the center stand if they're paranoid of it. Kind of like the waitress that brought me a coffee and told me it was hot, I just told her I knew that because I'm not an idiot.
                  Because all bikes have centre stands?
                  Because all vendors serve coffee at a temperature describable as hot?
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I think everyone should adopt the Honda rubber flipper finger.

Don't get me wrong; I realize this is a problem, and it happens to good riders. I've witnessed the ugly aftermath of more than one GS kickstand incident, and I've set sail more than once with my GS's kickstand dangling in the breeze.

This tends to happen more on group rides, when people are distracted from their normal routine, or hurrying to get going.

The GS system of dimly illuminating a dull red light on the dash is pretty much entirely pointless, but it at least does no harm. (GS clutch switches universally fail and almost all are bypassed; very few ever get repaired and put back into operation.)

However, the "modern" mandated system of installing shoddy 2 cent unsealed switches on the kickstand and clutch that inevitably fail and kill the engine at inopportune times only trades one hazard for a few others.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Our sidestand go quite a ways down and out, and further forward past straight out sideways, so are somewhat pointing forward. And so if/when they hit the pavement, they are getting pushed up-forward more than they are getting pushed back-up.

I maybe one of the cases that Brian bwringer says he witnessed.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      I think everyone should adopt the Honda rubber flipper finger..

I can say that on Hondas, well, Shadow 500s anyway, It is not just the rubber finger thing that provides the function of the pavement throwing the sidestand back if happen to leave it down. THere is also another feature of the sidestand that comes into play here . ANd that feature (hard to decribe) is that the side stand doesnt go much further forward than straight out sideways, is a spring to retract it, but it also hangs kinda limp in the outways direction, doesnt lock into position until some weight is put onto it by leaning the bike over onto it. WHen lean bike over on it it touches down, then bike leans over further with the sidestand going further out. When weight is leant onto it then it locks into position so it stays in position, doesnt let it roll back. WHen is no weight on it, it kinda comes out of this knotch, and can easily be moved back some and the spring retracts it.

Harleys do that also, the sidestand goes about straight out sideways, not forward at all, and when weight is leaned onto it, then it locks into some knotch to hold it in place (to me it looks like the rider didnt put it forward enough).

And, yah, the 79 KZ400 I had, was a thing sticking out from the front sprocket that would come around and hit something that would retract the side stand.
                      Last edited by Redman; 11-21-2021, 11:00 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

by the way it turned out it wasnt the safety switch lol. i just have to get my headlight working and tach and speedo lights working, they all are connected, theres a headlight relay and its not clicking on the bike, i tested the relay and it seems to work fine. i confirmed i have power running to the relay from the fusebox, i have confirmed i have ground just from knowing i have other certain lights working that are connected to the same ground wire, i have confirmed that the diode unit works as everything else it runs to works fine, and then ofcourse i dont have the power going out to the wires that runs to my speedo, tach, and headlight.

what im starting to suspect is the wires to the relay may be incorrectly connected, i just have to get somebody to send me a video of their headlight relay with the wires hooked up and since the plug isnt symmetrical i will be able to tell which side is which. if its not that then the relay might be the culprit even though it clicks, it could be that 1 out of the 7 connections on the diode unit are bad which sounds very unlikely, or it could be as simple as i need to clean it up more, we will find out.

the good thing is once i have those 3 lights back i will have everything electrical working, i have confirmed that the motor spins, i just need to confirm i have spark and aslong as i do have spark it should be as simple as hooking up the carbs and giving it fuel. unfortunately this bike probably isnt here to stay, i can definitely profit off of this bike as i havent needed to buy anything other than a battery, some gaskets, and some intake boots. i also bought an extra set of carbs that are dirty, i gave an offer for them and it was accepted so i can rebuild the carbs and just sell them for more. this all looks good on paper....lol
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

I don't care for safety switches in general. Babbits doesn't carry the clutch switch, though all the parts appear to be available. I do not like the quality of the Suzuki GS clutch switch and the front brake light switch, $35.00 or so at Babbits. I have experienced both getting full of crud and becoming sticky. With the front brake, it was slightly dangerous with the brake light on all the time. Pulling it off in a parking lot in Crescent City and spending 10 minutes looking for the the spring was not that great of an experience. Would prefer a hydraulic switch or at least one that isn't designed to trap and hold dirt and grime. Most of the GS components are pretty good, but those switches questionable. Some of my bikes still have the clutch interlock switch hooked up, some don't.

I believe that vacuum petcocks, side stand switches, and clutch switches are all the result of product liability litigation.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I don't care for safety switches in general. Babbits doesn't carry the clutch switch, though all the parts appear to be available. I do not like the quality of the Suzuki GS clutch switch and the front brake light switch, $35.00 or so at Babbits. I have experienced both getting full of crud and becoming sticky. With the front brake, it was slightly dangerous with the brake light on all the time. Pulling it off in a parking lot in Crescent City and spending 10 minutes looking for the the spring was not that great of an experience. Would prefer a hydraulic switch or at least one that isn't designed to trap and hold dirt and grime. Most of the GS components are pretty good, but those switches questionable. Some of my bikes still have the clutch interlock switch hooked up, some don't.

I believe that vacuum petcocks, side stand switches, and clutch switches are all the result of product liability litigation.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

There is an option for the brake light switches - Spiegler Brake Light Switch, Banjo Bolt. It's a switch built into a banjo bolt for $20.95. Available from Spiegler or aftermarket retailers.
                              Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
                              2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
                              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                              1997 Honda 250 Rebel
                              1984 Honda Nighthawk S CB700SC
                              1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post

itys a conspiracy? Vacuum petcocks are a superb answer to a very nasty fact about fuel spigots.
                                They work well considering the abuse and neglect owners expose them to.
                                a clutch starter interlock is also a superb safety device. Suzuki really made a crap cheap switch though.
                                1983 GS 550 LD
                                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                                X