Compare '81 GS550 to '83 GS650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compare '81 GS550 to '83 GS650

As you may have seen in various threads, my current project bike is an '81 GS550T. Always a fickle wrencher, I'm thinking about picking up an '83 GS650GL. Aside from the obvious diffs (seat, shaft drive and more powerful engine of the 650), are there any substantial benefits or disadvantages between the two bikes? Forgetting about mileage, condition, and price.

Any surprise gotchas about the 650?

Any chance the seat connections are the same, allowing me to use the nice flat seat from the 550T instead of the stepped seat on the 650L

Thanks
    Last edited by sacruickshank; 11-18-2021, 06:12 PM.
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

You are pretty much stuck with the seat on the 650L, unless you reshape it yourself.

Handlebar change is a MUST, if they are still stock bars.

I have ridden a 550 and a 650, MUCH prefer the 650.

Comment

I owned a 1981 GS550T and still own a 1983 GS650G (not a GL). Definitely prefer the 650G. For the type of riding I used to do, I much preferred the smoother operation of the 650 and the larger tank. The L really needs different bars.

Jim
      1981 GS550T (Long gone)
      1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

Thanks for the input. Sounds like there are no hidden gotchas and the 650 is generally better than the 550. Was already planning to change seat and bars to morph the cruiser-ish L to more standard ergos.
        Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

I started on a 82 GS 550 L
          and I loved it. It was light, nimble, a great start, and a lot of fun.

Within a year, though, I was hungry for more power, and I got a 82 GS 1100 GL.
          Hoo, did that have power! I liked the shaft drive, but I felt like the bike was heavier than I cared for.
          The 850 is the same weight as the 1100, and the 750GL is not sold in the US,
          so I went with a 83 GS 650 GL.

The 650 GL had the shaft, and the (slightly) greater power, and the lower weight,
          and I love it.

By the way, I'm one of the weirdos that prefer the L model, right down to the crazy bars. I don't mind the stepped seat.
          I don't like how small the tank is (three gallons gets you a hundred miles but not a whole lot more!)

--> My 83 650 GL is for sale <-- (click for link)
          It runs, but full disclosure: it needs some engine work and some cosmetic work.
          "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Thanks for the info kerrfunk. WVa is too far away and I'm looking for yet another project, so $1250 is above my budget. It def won't be my only bike (look at my signature) , just my only inline 4 UJM at the moment.

Hope you enjoy the Tbird. I also have a Triumph Adventurer in the stable, same engine as the TBird, just different styling.

Comment

Looked at the 650GL today, and it's pretty crusty. Getting to a final decent bike would require pulling the engine and major paint work to the frame.

One last question on a lark ... could a 650G engine, drive shaft, swing arm, and rear wheel be bolted into/onto the frame of the 550T. I've heard of top end swaps, but are the engine mounting points the same?

Steve

Comment

“One last question on a lark ...“

nope, too much work involved. … plenty of shaft 650’s hibernating in the northeast,so you’ll likely find one.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks Tom. For me, the challenge is that I'm looking for a project, something that needs work, but not yet too far gone. I may still come back to this crusty one since it has some positive aspects.

Oh, and cheap. Naturally.

Comment

UPDATE - I decided to rescue the 650GL. Once I get it home I'll see what's really left underneath the crusty surface, get the engine running, then decide if I swap any better condition parts from the 550T. Stay tuned.

Comment

Update - Details captured in a Projects thread.
                      Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Comment

Working...
                      X