Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repeat problems with noisey tach ... or tach cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeat problems with noisey tach ... or tach cable?

On both of my twin cylinder Suzuki bikes I have occasional issues with noisy tach while riding. Last time I shot some WD40 towards the cable AND a quick shot up into the back of the tach gauge .... which seemed to solve the problem. I can't tell if the noise is coming from tach or cable. It gets quiet when just idling. Anyone know which part is likely to be making that howling noise while riding .... and what lubricant is best to solve the issue LONG term?
    Dennco2
    1985 GS450
    Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

Have you checked the cable inner along it's full length?
    Lubricant won't fix a kink or break.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      Have you checked the cable inner along it's full length?
      Lubricant won't fix a kink or break.
      I installed a brand new cable and rode it 5 miles ... and it started to howl after 2 miles till I got back home. I removed it and shot some WD40 and it got quiet again. Until 2 short rides ago and is getting worse for noise. The tach gauge reading is steady ... not erratic.

Anyone know of a better cable lube than WD40?
      Dennco2
      1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Could it be the speedo cable?
        97 R1100R
        Previous

Comment

Originally posted by dennco2 View Post
          I installed a brand new cable and rode it 5 miles ... and it started to howl after 2 miles till I got back home. I removed it and shot some WD40 and it got quiet again. Until 2 short rides ago and is getting worse for noise. The tach gauge reading is steady ... not erratic.

Anyone know of a better cable lube than WD40?
          For cable I use ordinary oil, whatever is in the oil can. WD40 is not a lubrication it dries off and cleans the surface. It's unlikely to be the cable that causes noise, but dry instrument bearings where the cable goes in is common.
          This is the stuff for your lubing issues like this

acf-50.jpg
          ACF-50
          Magic stuff, when you squirt it make sure it isn't into the square drive itself but on the bearing itself that spins.
          You will only have to do it once.
          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Could it be the speedo cable?
            Both times in the past the howl gets louder as I rev up the rpms .... so tach issue. I will have to inspect further to determine this new issue.
            Dennco2
            1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

This sounds like solid advice .... thanx!
              Dennco2
              1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dennco2 View Post
                Both times in the past the howl gets louder as I rev up the rpms .... so tach issue. I will have to inspect further to determine this new issue.
                If you remove the tacho cable does the howl go away?
                97 R1100R
                Previous

Comment

If you remove the tacho cable does the howl go away?
                  Lately, I have only started the engine .. not ride it. I finally pulled the tach/speedo gauges off the bike and apart. After vacuuming out the cobwebs and scrubbing the 2 plastic lenses, I shot a small amount of oil spray into the 2 gauges to hopefully solve the howling noise as I ride. I will also shoot a small amount down into the spinning drive cables. Meanwhile, I notice that a couple of small display lights in the top half of the gauges don't light up and I wanted to replace them with the same type bulb. (or brighter) How to get the old ones out without damage? My 83 GR gauges look very similar to my 85 GS450 gauges. What part number should I be looking for? 194 .... or something brighter?
                  Dennco2
                  1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X