New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here

Not new to owning the GS Ive owned this bike for 34 years. The last 13 years it has unfortunately resided in a not so good environment. My dads shop which was not heated or cooled. Basically surrounded by lawn equipment and tools. It ran when I took it there 13 years ago and the engine case metal wasn’t perfect then but not in the shape it is now.

My dad recently passed away sept 1st and I was left everything at his place but his will stated the place to be sold so I had to go get my old GS. Tears came to eyes when I brought her home. She was filthy, tarnished and of course dead. So I’m in the process of cleaning her up best I can to a 40 year old motorcycle and of course get her back running. The engine can be turned over easily with a wrench off the ignition side. I’ve pulled the carbs off and took them apart. In the cleaning and ordering parts phase after only one week of her being home. I have a decent place to work on her and she’s not in the way so this can take a minute or two won’t matter. Inside the gas tank looks pretty good but I’ve not pulled the pet cock out yet and really looked up in it. Only looked down through cap opening. Old gas was in it about 1/2 tank maybe. Carbs not to bad but gummed up at the float needle seats. All of that has been pulled out and cleaned with the various orings ordered. Most of the bike is solid except for some rust spots here and there on the frame. Wheels are in good shape tires not so much. Chain and sprockets were new back then but showing rust. I think a good gleaning and they’ll be fine. I’ve started trying to clean up the engine cases. Not looking to get a mirror finish at my skill set just cleaner than they are now.

I plan to pull the valve cover and check all the valve lash and just put an eye on everything. Also pulling the clutch cover since I need to strip the clear coat off it and install a clutch arm seal in it and possibly a new oil right glass. It has old oil in it no telling what it’s like I haven’t drained it yet. It’ll need a new battery of course and along the way I’m just cleaning up things. The brakes were all froze up. Front wasn’t to hard to get back working with a good mighty vac bleeding. Rear master needs to be rebuilt and parts are ordered. Swim arm was stripped of clear coat years ago when it needed new swingarm bearings dots still in good shape. The bike is showing 34k miles all original and of course the tach needle and speedo needle have fell off. I saw on webike where I can get those from Japan for like $60 shipped. I only have one oem mirror the other is broken. Front cowl has some too over issues and cracks around the signal stalks. It is fiberglass so I have body shop owner who’s willing to strip it and repair and repaint factory colors back. Just about anything rubber on the bike is either stone hard or crumbling to pieces. Luckily most of that is still sold by suzuki and I have ordered several pieces as I go along with this.

Biggest challenge right now is the carbs. God I hate a carb or anything to do with them. I do understand them and can tune them but I just hate them. Well I’ve rambled enough I hope to pick up a few things by joining here. I just wish I’d brought this bike home sooner like 10 years ago but life has a way of getting in the way it seems. I can’t dwell on that all I can do is try to polish the rough stone back to a diamond it once was.

Guess I left out the part of what GS this is. It is a 1982 GS1000S Katana I bought locally for $1200 dollars back in 1987 and at the time it only had 7700 miles on it and was like brand new. It was my only transportation for many years until I got married and bought newer shinier motorcycles and the old Kat was all but forgotten.
    Attached Files

Hey roy, welcome. Seems like a really good project. For me, the "82" should be, by far, the best yr. Katana to have. You're ahead of most folks' projects as it seems you have most of the orig. parts. Would be a really long shot, but orig. exhaust would be a big plus. That being said, personally I never liked the Kat's, they just didn't fit me but today I love seeing them. They had to be the fastest 1000 cc out there, they would run right up there with the GS 1100's I never figured why, they just did. Hopefully not as much to do as you think. Good luck & keep us updated.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I do have the original 4 into 2 black chrome exhaust in pretty good condition. It’s in my attic currently.

Comment

You shouldn't advertise about having the original exhaust. Put a padlock on the door to the attic.
        They are very difficult to find.
        Welcome to the site, Roy.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Lol thanks for the warning steve

Comment

Originally posted by roy826 View Post
            Not new to owning the GS Ive owned this bike for 34 years.

Thanks for the introduction Roy. Welcome to TheGSR.

Sounds like you are familiar with what you are doing.

THirteen years is a long time for it to sitt. Definitely need to "go thru the carbs".

Good that you found the GSR.

Last edited by Redman; 11-18-2021, 11:15 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome aboard, pal.

Can we just spell it out for the ignorant here (me)? It's an '82 (?) 1000cc (?) Katana. Right?
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hi Roy,
                Condolences on your father's passing.
                Glad to see another old Kat is being revived.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome to the site. You've come to the right place. Good that the old girl is getting some attention after so long waiting. Keep us updated on the progress.
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    Welcome aboard, pal.

Can we just spell it out for the ignorant here (me)? It's an '82 (?) 1000cc (?) Katana. Right?
                    Yes 1982 GS1000S Katana with a build date 2/82 on frame sticker, my title says that is correct as well. Original Owners manual (which I still have) spells it out like that as well.
                    e

Comment

Original owners manual
                      Attached Files

Comment

Carbs being tended to. Still waiting on a few rubber parts. They have been cleaned after this pic was taken. Everything is stock in them except fuel screw plugs were drilled out many many years ago. Stock air box no snorkel in but I do have the thing. Has a K&N air filter in it. Looks really clean down the intake tracts into cylinder head.

Replaced the rubber seal things on spark plug wires to the caps last night. Originals rotted off and were cracked. Spark plug caps were changed many years ago to NGK caps. I had one of the oem caps up bad long time ago. I have the rear master cylinder rebuild kit in hand. Probably tackle that next week. I’m off work all week. Contacted a body shop friend last night he’s going to clean up and redo the upper cowling with new oem silver paint. It’s fiberglass so easy to work with. Several cracks in and around the turn signal holes. Windscreen seen better days and suzuki wants over $400 for a new one, not gonna happen I’ll hit webike up in Japan for a clear one for $100. Clutch lever has a worn out bushing orbits missing but I haven’t taken it off yet. I’ll just order a new oem lever and bushing if I can get one. Clutch cable rubber was rotted off at engine connection so I ordered a new cable it’s on Backorder. Tentatively Dec 16 it’ll be available. Clutch cover oem gasket also on backorder. Shoulda just bought and aftermarket one in stock. Oh well.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Roy, here is a Kat resto article that might give you some tips or inspiration.
                          I remember seeing my first Katana in our local small-town low budget Suzuki dealer’s showroom. It stood out from the other bikes in a way that I had never seen before. I remember that most people stood in amazement a...
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                            Roy, here is a Kat resto article that might give you some tips or inspiration.
                            https://vintagedesmo.com/f/1982-suzuki-gs1000sz-katana
                            awesome reading thanks!

Comment

I guess I’ll share with y’all my other GS Xr in fact I’ve owned a slew of them and raced at expert level in A class with WERA mid central and SE from 2001-2017, several C class (600s) during those years. I’ve owned 3 GSXR 750s but never tracked them just not my thing in a track, great street bike though. But I was best at my weight on a 1000 back then on a racetrack dialed in bike.

Time forced me to give all that up in 2017. Didn’t stop me from buying sport bikes though. Currently own a beautiful 2021 GSXR-1000R 100th anniversary model. God I love Suzukis! The 2021 is so amazing In so many ways and a let down as soon as Mr government shuts the party down on you. US model only. I’ve not addressed that and I won’t. It’s fast as hell stock before all that happens. I just like the paint scheme which is motogp and suzuki actually won the championship in 2020 with this livery.

I’ve had some really trick race bikes setup with some very nice suspension. I’m an idiot who never took a picture until now. Sorry.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by roy826; 11-20-2021, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X