Clearcoat removal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearcoat removal question

So, I'm about to start another project. This one involves restoring an '82 GS1100G that I will be taking delivery of tomorrow. In the pictures the seller posted, I can see that the clear coat on the engine side covers has cracked to the point where there are large areas of bare aluminum. Surprisingly, the bare aluminum doesn't look very oxidized. Naturally, the 1st step to restoring the original appearance of the side covers is to remove the remaining clear coat. I do not want to use an abrasive because I'd like to maintain the original brushed look of the aluminum. That said, what product will remove the clear coat without damaging the aluminum underneath?
    Thanks in advance for any responses I get.
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Paint stripper. The strong stuff, which is removed by mineral spirts (paint thinner) is typically stronger than the water rinse type.

If you have a buffer of some sort, including a car buffer, you can bolt on a sisal polishing wheel and use black cutting compound. The resulting finish is very similar to the OEM finish. Fluffy buffing pads don't remove corrosion as easily, and when done they leave a brighter finish which it seems you don't want.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Ed. I appreciate your advice. Fortunately, I have a very nice buffer, a Cyclo that I've gotten a lot of use out of polishing antique aluminum boats.

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Loctite makes a stripper also called chisel which is a spray on aerosol it is either named Loctite 790 or Loctite 79040 wherever you might live. It is a stripper/ gasket remover but it does contain Methylene Chloride which is considered a cancer causing agent so beware and use a mask and proper gloves. IMHO it is probably the best clear coat stripper you can find. Spray it on, wash it off and the clear coat is gone.
        Jonesz

1979 GS850 current project
        1978 GL1000-naked
        1983 GL1100-Aspencade stripped
        1999 Valkyrie Tourer-long ride bike

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesz View Post
          Loctite makes a stripper also called chisel which is a spray on aerosol it is either named Loctite 790 or Loctite 79040 wherever you might live. It is a stripper/ gasket remover
          Do you have any info if it works on 40 year old petrified gaskets? I'd love to find something that dissolves them, but it's usually a process of chems, propane, scraping, and abrasives. The best abrasives are rotating "scotchbrite" wheels for a dremel, but they wear quickly and become expensive.
          Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
            Do you have any info if it works on 40 year old petrified gaskets? I'd love to find something that dissolves them, but it's usually a process of chems, propane, scraping, and abrasives. The best abrasives are rotating "scotchbrite" wheels for a dremel, but they wear quickly and become expensive.
            Don't know but it is serious medicine on old paint. Not that expensive so worth a try on gaskets. Very hard to come by here in Canada as it contains methylene chloride and is banned as a stripper.
            Jonesz

1979 GS850 current project
            1978 GL1000-naked
            1983 GL1100-Aspencade stripped
            1999 Valkyrie Tourer-long ride bike

Comment

Something that may work, oven cleaner.

The suggestion came too late for me to try when I was removing a clear anodized coat from my wheels but others say it worked for them.
              1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesz View Post
                Loctite makes a stripper also called chisel which is a spray on aerosol it is either named Loctite 790 or Loctite 79040 wherever you might live. It is a stripper/ gasket remover but it does contain Methylene Chloride which is considered a cancer causing agent so beware and use a mask and proper gloves. IMHO it is probably the best clear coat stripper you can find. Spray it on, wash it off and the clear coat is gone.
                Methylene chloride is good $hit. Highly recommended. Hobbyist guys like us that don't use the stuff regularly don't have a whole lot to worry about. Just stand back if the fumes are feeling overwhelming while working with the stuff.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I soak the part in hot water for a few hours if it'll come off and fit in a bucket. If not, I use paint stripper dabbed on with a small paintbrush nice and thick. There is a time factor using stripper, if you wait too long they harden back up a bit. The water method really works well, often it just needs a putty knife and scotchbrite to get what doesn't come off in chunks. That's on gaskets that were put on dry anyway, or at least without a gnarly sealant. My '66 Norton's gaskets peeled right off.

As for clearcoat, stripper works, and also so does oven cleaner but it's lye which is caustic to aluminum so don't leave on long. I've done this way being careful many times, no issues. The advantage is it's cheap, find at dollar store.

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
                  Last edited by oldGSfan; 11-20-2021, 03:49 PM.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Methylene chloride is good $hit. Highly recommended. Hobbyist guys like us that don't use the stuff regularly don't have a whole lot to worry about. Just stand back if the fumes are feeling overwhelming while working with the stuff.
                    Use in a well ventilated place, or outdoors, though. That shyt can kill you and I like the stuff for its efficacy, so I'm not being a scaremonger about it.
                    Last time I used it on some wheels I made sure there was a flow of fresh air through the shop.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks guys. I picked the G up this morning and hope to start working on it in the not too distant future. I'm planning on starting a resto thread in the appropriate area.

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Just want to toss out a recommendation.

Aircraft brand remover is insanely good. I've seen it rip 3 layers of clear, 3 layers of color, and 3 layers of primer all in one go. Spread it on, let it sit, wipe it off.

Funny side note, it is often listed as simply "Aircraft Remover". Don't get caught at the airport with it!
                        $100 1978 GS400 Rebuild (Outdated thread, new one soon!).
                        - Indicator light diode mod
                        - LED underglow kit
                        - Aftermarket LED headlight bucket
                        - Hex head engine case bolt kit
                        - SH775A Reg/Rec upgrade
                        - Dynatek Dyna S ignition
                        - All Balls taper bearing steering stem mod
                        - Dynatek 5ohm ignition coils and NGK caps
                        - Custom cafe seat

Comment

LOL. Sounds just like what I need.
                          For the clearcoat.
                          Thanks

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Originally posted by ItsBork View Post
                            Just want to toss out a recommendation.

Aircraft brand remover is insanely good. I've seen it rip 3 layers of clear, 3 layers of color, and 3 layers of primer all in one go. Spread it on, let it sit, wipe it off.

Funny side note, it is often listed as simply "Aircraft Remover". Don't get caught at the airport with it!
                            That was true in the past. It has been re-formulated. Doesn't work worth a squat anymore.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the update. Thought I'd check back here before placing an order. Glad I did.

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Working...
                              X