No announcement yet.

Clearcoat removal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always just sanded the clear coat off. I never used any chemicals. I just use a Scotch Bright Pad. And for the corners and reseses I use a Scotch Bright "Ball or Flob" with the Dremal. The clear coat is not that thick were you'd need a stripper or any type of chemical... Also, I'm sure you're not set up for proper disposal of the chemical waste. Chemicals are bad for the environment... My .02
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by ItsBork View Post
      Funny side note, it is often listed as simply "Aircraft Remover". Don't get caught at the airport with it!
      Even funnier: read the label, it says "Not to be used on aircraft."
      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

I considered removing it with a Scotch Bright pad but didn't want to damage the underlying finish. I agree with your comment though re: having to deal with the environmentally hazardous waste. In addition, I have enough chemicals on the shelves of my shop that I'd prefer to be without. None the less, I would like to remove the coating without damaging the finish underneath.
        Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
        '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
        '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
        '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
          I soak the part in hot water for a few hours if it'll come off and fit in a bucket. If not, I use paint stripper dabbed on with a small paintbrush nice and thick. There is a time factor using stripper, if you wait too long they harden back up a bit. The water method really works well, often it just needs a putty knife and scotchbrite to get what doesn't come off in chunks. That's on gaskets that were put on dry anyway, or at least without a gnarly sealant. My '66 Norton's gaskets peeled right off.
          Thanks. Soaking in hot water may be the one thing I haven't tried yet. Picking up the next project today ('83 GS650L) and it will like have a petrified valve cover gasket.
          Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Working...
          X