BIKECLIFFS WEBITE troubles????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIKECLIFFS WEBITE troubles????

Is anyone else having trouble accessing service manuals on the site? I get the home page but click on a manual and it says vsite cannot be reached. What gives?????
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

I can't even get the home page this last month or so. 522 error
    What address are you using?
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I think BWringer has taken it over. This seems to work.
      Suzuki GS motorcycles maintenance and information (GS850GT)

and yet the old one looks the same and has some stuff

Comment

i had the members.dslextreme one saved and thats the one not working right. The gsarchive one just worked perfectly for me. Thanks
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck,
          Don't know if you remember, I told you the same thing on FB last week.

I PM'd Brian a few weeks ago about this and some other stuff, and he verified that this is correct:

BWringer has taken it over. This is the proper link for all to use for BikeCliff's website.
          http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/

and yet the old one looks the same (nearly), and has same stuff (BUT MOST OF THE LINKS ARE DEAD)
          http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Both links look the same in my bookmarks and when landed on though. It needs care to delete the right one! I've done it more than once
            Maybe if it changed it's name to "NEW BikeCliff's"
            It's Always hard changing things Hasn't been changed in"New Members Click Here?
            https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ers-CLICK-HERE!!

Comment

It's up to Frank to change anything on here (thegsresources.com). And it's up to Brian to change anything on His version of BikeCliff's Website.

Quote From Brian:
              Hi Rich -

I do not have access to or control over Cliff's website or web hosting space here.

A few years ago when he was having issues with it, I worked with him to create a copy of the available resources on my web hosting here:

I'll get that manual in place tonight -- I do remember now you got in touch, but I neglected to follow through. Sorry about that!

In the meantime, go ahead and update your Bikecliff links to http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/

I have no plans to take this down, and of course I'll always own and use bwringer.com, so it should be fairly safe. That said, I know there are broken links and missing resources in the original and in my copy. I think I have a way now to scan through and quantify these, and perhaps fix some.

I don't know exactly what's happening with the dslextreme hosting he was using, but I suspect it won't be back. Quite a few resources were also connected to old university hosting, but I was able to recover and replicate these, or all I could find.

Thanks for the gentle reminder, and let me know if you have any other questions or spot any problems!

- Brian
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Howdy, all!

I've updated my copy of this page to contain a disclaimer at the top so you can tell the difference.

Rich, I've added that GS750ET service manual supplement you sent.

Overall, it's a gawdawful mess and I make zero promises. If you think there's something here you might need, grab it now and put it somewhere safe. That said, I also have no particular plans to remove this unless I need to.

There are quite a few broken links to external resources that I have no plans or means to fix, and several missing internal resources that I have no way to replace.

I also removed a large list of broken links to shady long-defunct Russian servers.

Basically, if you get computer herpes and your legs fall off, don't come running to me.

Also, please do not share this link outside the GSR family. I don't know why you'd want to, but don't add it to any lists of manuals or documentation.

Also, I added an SSL cert, so maybe your browser will stop squawking about it. Some of the images, like the pictures of Basscliff's bike, are hosted somewhere else and will throw a warning.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks Brian.
                  As always, we all appreciate you keeping the site up.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Also, please do not share this link outside the GSR family. I don't know why you'd want to, but don't add it to any lists of manuals or documentation.
                    For what it's worth, I see the Bikecliff website getting shared on Facebook from time to time, in various GS dedicated groups, as a helpful source...just saw it yesterday in fact.
                    Last edited by RustyTank; 11-22-2021, 11:17 AM.
                    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                      For what it's worth, I see the Bikecliff website getting shared on Facebook, in various GS dedicated groups, as helpful source from time to time...just saw it yesterday in fact.
                      I do that. I also direct folks on the various FB pages to the GSR. I suppose from Bwringer’s post that I should stop doing this?
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        I do that. I also direct folks on the various FB pages to the GSR. I suppose from Bwringer’s post that I should stop doing this?
                        Sharing with real GS people with real motorcycles (and groups of said real people) is fine!

Sharing on sites that are collecting and compiling repair manual links and files is a way to draw unwanted attention. Please don't do that.

It's also not safe. These sites are always some sort of scam, and/or trying to spread computer viruses. They're trying to draw search engine traffic by offering what looks like a solution to something people might Google.
                        Last edited by bwringer; 11-21-2021, 11:50 AM.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

So I will continue to share, with discretion. Thanks Brian.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I was not aware of these developments until this thread. In acknowledgement we will need to make some changes on this site as well. The most obvious is for the BassCliff post sticky welcoming new owners in the GS Owners forum to be replaced with current information and links.

Brian, if you as the new GS reference page host could you put together an appropriate replacement post with the now appropriate links, instructions, and caveats, I will see that it gets stickied to the top of GS Owners in place of the BassCliff one there now.

If anyone is aware of dead links to the old site in other posts across the forum, post that information in this thread and I will get it corrected.

I want to thank Brian for stepping up to maintain this valuable resource for us. To support him we could possibly start a group project to test all the links on those pages to find which ones need to be updated or dropped.
                            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Just a heads up

Was looking at the wiring diagrams for the GS650. They wont download from the new Bwringers link but will still download from the old Bikecliff link.

The 650G manual wont download of the old bikecliff link but will off the new Bwringer link
                              Last edited by 650Skull; 11-22-2021, 04:55 AM.
                              82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                              Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                              Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                              Albums

Comment

Working...
                              X