Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple project mc dolly

It couldn't be much simpler.

A 2x10, a piece of 4x4 and 3 - 3'' swivel castors.

1979 GS1000
    1981 GL500 Interstate

But wait....How do you get the bike up on it???
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

That's a good question Bob.

The front needs to be butted against a wall.
      The last time I loaded it, some wood blocks were placed under the ends of the 4x4 to stabilize it. Still a little sketchy doable.
      Two people, one on either side, make loading much easier. Makes getting the bike on the centre stand easier too.

Once the bike is on the dolly it's handy to move around the shop which works well on projects done over a long period of time.
      1979 GS1000
      1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Thanks so much for posting this Dave. I think it's just great
        Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
        1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
          Thanks so much for posting this Dave. I think it's just great
          100% . what a great way to scoot project around in garage. thumbs up
          1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

I think you just solved one of my small garage problems. Thank you!

EDIT:

So after looking at your picture some more and thinking about it getting the bike on/off the dolly safely, I think using a retractable caster like this would be beneficial. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DX7HL9G...roduct_details

Those casters would allow the dolly to sit on the floor while loading and while putting the bike on the center stand. Then just put the casters down when you need to move the bike. I have these particular casters on one of my heavy work benches and they work very well. Very sturdy for the money.
            Last edited by 93Bandit; 11-24-2021, 09:32 PM.
            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
            - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
              I think you just solved one of my small garage problems. Thank you!

EDIT:

So after looking at your picture some more and thinking about it getting the bike on/off the dolly safely, I think using a retractable caster like this would be beneficial. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DX7HL9G...roduct_details

Those casters would allow the dolly to sit on the floor while loading and while putting the bike on the center stand. Then just put the casters down when you need to move the bike. I have these particular casters on one of my heavy work benches and they work very well. Very sturdy for the money.
              I made something similar a few years ago and to get the bike up I just butt the front end up against some steps and use one of my car service ramps, push the bike on and then screw in place a front wheel caulk. Getting it on the side stand by myself is somewhat scary ....right Dave.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by DaveR View Post
                It couldn't be much simpler.

A 2x10, a piece of 4x4 and 3 - 3'' swivel castors.

Is that a two by ten? Buying a 16 inch board would probably require taking out a mortgage but
                The wing bits are a nightmarish weak point are the just screwed in place?
                I would use 1/2 inch plywood cut to the current outline overlay then
                Glued and screwed
                The crack in the piece with the tiedown has been halved in strength by the hole through it aside from the crack.
                A steel eyelet inserted vertically with a washer or plate as a load spreader maybe?

Also the wheels could be better oriented flush mounted and the front bit modded to accommodate that change.
                Being lower would make getting the bike on easier. You could also incorporate a lever to lift that could be made to lock in place.
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Some good observations and suggestions guys. Thanks.

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                  I think using a retractable caster like this would be beneficial. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DX7HL9G...roduct_details
                  The retractable castors would be slick and make the loading much safer. Nice.

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                  Getting it on the side stand by myself is somewhat scary ....right Dave.
                  Yup, the potential for a really stupid outcome was clear. 140lb. guy with skinny arms balancing and moving a 400lb. bike

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                  The wing bits are a nightmarish weak point are the just screwed in place?
                  The wings are screwed/glued and have a screwed/glued crossways 2x4 cleat underneath. Its just visible in the pic.
                  1979 GS1000
                  1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Working...
                  X