Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harley is on the upswing (though supply chain issues may loom)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
    Here ya go Rob. I didn't know what it was either.
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...ortster-s.html
    Liquid cooled. Icky!

Sometimes I tell people I have an old air cooled GSX. I suppose someday that'll be said about Harleys.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It's a completely badass take on the Sportster, and it will keep Harley on par with what Indian can do. I won't ride one, because I'd probably want to buy one. My next new bike will be electric.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        Yep. 20 more horses, 7 lb feet more torque, 60 pounds lighter than the Indian Scout.
        Nice!

I can't say I've been following HD closely, so I didn't know they had a Sportster with this engine.

Good gravy, the pegs are in a reasonable place, and *gasp*... is... is that... actual lean angle, and suspension? I may even detect traces of actual usable suspension travel.

Anyway, I hope they sell a skrillion of them, and Indian sells a skrillion too.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Ugly as sin. Freakish disproportion
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Well Jedz's monkey is all grown up....
            My god....What is with those huge tires?
            Funny thing, I like my bikes to actually look good...Shallow, I know, but still true.
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I think they do look good, and I'm betting a large part of the population will, too. I think the big tires look cool, and, if it's anything like the new Fat Bob, it will handle very well indeed.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

I would have a hard time justifying spending $5000 more for this..

Than this...

No signature

Comment

hey, they don't call them 'hogs' for nuttin'
                  1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                    I would have a hard time justifying spending $5000 more for this..

Than this...

LoL. Many people would have a hard time spending $17,000 to buy one of these:

To each their own. The new Harleys do a lot of things well, and it would be hard to make a case that the Fat Bob is uglier than the Beemer.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

LoL. Many people would have a hard time spending $17,000 to buy one of these:

To each their own. The new Harleys do a lot of things well, and it would be hard to make a case that the Fat Bob is uglier than the Beemer.
                      Lol...ah yes...but the beemer has technology, speed, handling and first rate, quality workmanship. And it wasn't made to copy another manufacture's bike. But yes, lots say it was ugly.
                      No signature

Comment

LMAO. The Fat Bob isn't copying anything, Trevor, and Harley quality is the equal of BMW in the real world. The BMW has 160 hp and 86 lb ft of torque IIRC. The Harley only has 94 hp, but 118 lb ft of torque. Horses for courses, but I'd rather have the Fat Bob any day. V-twins really make my soul happy.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

LMAO. The Fat Bob isn't copying anything, Trevor, and Harley quality is the equal of BMW in the real world. The BMW has 160 hp and 86 lb ft of torque IIRC. The Harley only has 94 hp, but 118 lb ft of torque. Horses for courses, but I'd rather have the Fat Bob any day. V-twins really make my soul happy.
                          Remember now...mine is a 1300...you guys only got the 1200....here are mine's specs..
                          Power: 170.3 HP (124.3 kW)) @ 9250 RPM
                          Torque: 140.0 Nm (14.3 kgf-m or 103.3 ft.lbs) @ 8250 RPM
                          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                            Remember now...mine is a 1300...you guys only got the 1200....here are mine's specs..
                            Power: 170.3 HP (124.3 kW)) @ 9250 RPM
                            Torque: 140.0 Nm (14.3 kgf-m or 103.3 ft.lbs) @ 8250 RPM
                            I'll take the bike with 15 more lb ft than that. I like the way torque feels. Modern Harleys look and perform quite well for those who do not need to go 150+ (and my days of doing that $hit are long gone). A stock Fat Bob with the 114 does 0-60 in 3.5 and will do the 1/4 in less than 12. It handles well and stops very well. It looks like a Harley, which is appealing to many.

To get back (closer) to the point of this thread, the Fat Bob and the upper echelon of the big twins are a large part of this past quarter's profits, so people still want them. The Sportster S and the Pan America are going to bring many people to Harley, and the Livewire (under its new heading) will also bring some non-traditional buyers in. I think Harley is doing a good job finding their rhythm under Zeitz.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

I'll take the bike with 15 more lb ft than that. I like the way torque feels. Modern Harleys look and perform quite well for those who do not need to go 150+ (and my days of doing that $hit are long gone). A stock Fat Bob with the 114 does 0-60 in 3.5 and will do the 1/4 in less than 12. It handles well and stops very well. It looks like a Harley, which is appealing to many.

To get back (closer) to the point of this thread, the Fat Bob and the upper echelon of the big twins are a large part of this past quarter's profits, so people still want them. The Sportster S and the Pan America are going to bring many people to Harley, and the Livewire (under its new heading) will also bring some non-traditional buyers in. I think Harley is doing a good job finding their rhythm under Zeitz.
                              Not to go on....buuut....lol
                              In tests carried out by Bike Magazine in the UK, its 2.81 second 0–100 km/h (0–62 mph) time made it the fastest accelerating naked motorcycle, beating its next closest competitor, the Suzuki B-King, by one tenth of a second.[4]
                              Throughout its production run, K1300R has never been offered for sale in the United States despite being offered in the smaller Canadian market.

Oh and 10.7 sec in the 1/4
                              Last edited by trevor; 11-29-2021, 01:29 AM.
                              No signature

Comment

Trevor, you bought the ugly bike you liked. Cool. I'd take the Harley any day. There are bikes that can annihilate that BMW, but you wanted the ugly one for specific reasons of your own (you would have to have, because there were harder accelerating, faster bikes even when that beast came out). You seem hell bent on missing the point that Harley is succeeding.
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X