Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harley is on the upswing (though supply chain issues may loom)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the harlster portly s ad video and give it a big ole nope. This device serves no purpose. It may handle better than some old harley and it may be faster but omg it's a single seat with a bunch of exhaust pipes right where they ain't supposed to be.

The PanAmerican though.... that may be something.
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I would question whether to call it " succeeding " . This is not the first time Harley has shown signs of life in it's history .... Quarterly results are good and have been in the past when they have shown some creativity . But long term it has been a losing investment ... They walk a tight rope between innovation and satisfying what for lack of a better word could be called their " base " ..... They'll need exceptional management to pull off carving out a new niche ..... As I said before Harley is like investing in an airline . And as Branson once said " If you want to become a millionaire . Invest two billion in an airline " ..... Harley is the same way . Every once in a while they'll poop up a good quarter but long term they are consistent loser ......
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Garth, success is measured in quarters. Let's see what the next quarter reveals. It may be that the MoCo drops due to the supply chain issues mentioned, but I think even then, we will be able to see whether Zeitz's plan is paying off by analyzing sales of the big, expensive models and the new ones like the Pan America, Sportster S and Livewire. Harley is important for motorcycling history, and it seems to be envisioning plans for the future.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          Garth, success is measured in quarters. Let's see what the next quarter reveals. It may be that the MoCo drops due to the supply chain issues mentioned, but I think even then, we will be able to see whether Zeitz's plan is paying off by analyzing sales of the big, expensive models and the new ones like the Pan America, Sportster S and Livewire. Harley is important for motorcycling history, and it seems to be envisioning plans for the future.
          Ever get the feeling you're not "PREACHING TO THE CHOIR"? Lol
          No signature

Comment

Well golly barely disguised fanboys, cynics and a likely HD ad exec forum plant all talking bollocks.

For the fanboys cynics and pie in the sky dreamers:

HD is taking a huge risk in making changes but has to. HD is the Oldsmobile of motorcycles. The easy credit ripoff sales model they used has also produced a glut of old used bikes that are practically new.

Yes the K1300 is awesome but no longer in production so not an example of the future at all.
            Though using peak HP and torque numbers do no come close to describing how fabulous it is.
            It is a long distance warrior and is super-abundant in power from 1500 rpm to redline limit.
            Its chassis\suspension makes it precise and predictable in all environments.
            YAY dead motorcycle!

For the clearly biased one who touts an upward move in sales and from it creates the absurdity that HD is attracting new clients:
            You have no reason to state this beyond wishful thinking. Its an upswing in sales following a massive economic downturn in which toys pets and mistresses get ignored. its a blip. Have they increased market share? Are the Japanese scared?
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              I, for one, want to see Indian do some more interesting things with that brilliant Scout engine.
              If Indian made a sport tourer with the FTR platform I would be seriously looking back in their direction. The FTR is so impractical that I really don't have room for it. Even the Monkey with the sidecar has become the best machine to go to the store with and in the snow (first storm the other night) I was getting around just fine with the snow tires.

Anyway, the Pan America is underrated, the Dyno put it it closer to the 120whp range. The R1250GS romps it in acceleration and roll ons. Also HD refuses to release it's production numbers and the fact I have yet to see one in the wild yet means they didn't sell all that many, you can sell out pretty easy if you only produce 2500 units.

Here is a good video I found enlightening. I would say it makes me wonder about the new HD engine and platform but doesn't make me want to trade my Yamaha FJ-09 in for one.

Still right now... If I had to buy a new bike it would be a GSX-1000GT but I have to get this Yamaha over 100K miles first, that will take a few years.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                Well golly barely disguised fanboys, cynics and a likely HD ad exec forum plant all talking bollocks.

For the fanboys cynics and pie in the sky dreamers:

HD is taking a huge risk in making changes but has to. HD is the Oldsmobile of motorcycles. The easy credit ripoff sales model they used has also produced a glut of old used bikes that are practically new.

Yes the K1300 is awesome but no longer in production so not an example of the future at all.
                Though using peak HP and torque numbers do no come close to describing how fabulous it is.
                It is a long distance warrior and is super-abundant in power from 1500 rpm to redline limit.
                Its chassis\suspension makes it precise and predictable in all environments.
                YAY dead motorcycle!

For the clearly biased one who touts an upward move in sales and from it creates the absurdity that HD is attracting new clients:
                You have no reason to state this beyond wishful thinking. Its an upswing in sales following a massive economic downturn in which toys pets and mistresses get ignored. its a blip. Have they increased market share? Are the Japanese scared?
                Lol...this ^^^^^^
                No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                  If Indian made a sport tourer with the FTR platform I would be seriously looking back in their direction. The FTR is so impractical that I really don't have room for it. Even the Monkey with the sidecar has become the best machine to go to the store with and in the snow (first storm the other night) I was getting around just fine with the snow tires.

Anyway, the Pan America is underrated, the Dyno put it it closer to the 120whp range. The R1250GS romps it in acceleration and roll ons. Also HD refuses to release it's production numbers and the fact I have yet to see one in the wild yet means they didn't sell all that many, you can sell out pretty easy if you only produce 2500 units.

Here is a good video I found enlightening. I would say it makes me wonder about the new HD engine and platform but doesn't make me want to trade my Yamaha FJ-09 in for one.

Still right now... If I had to buy a new bike it would be a GSX-1000GT but I have to get this Yamaha over 100K miles first, that will take a few years.
                  Did you mean "overrated"...? Because by the rest of your post I would say you did...?
                  No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                    Did you mean "overrated"...? Because by the rest of your post I would say you did...?
                    Yup overrated, my bad
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Ever get the feeling you're not "PREACHING TO THE CHOIR"? Lol
                      I'm one of very few fans of HD here, but I definitely am a fan. I love the bikes. The funny thing is that there are fanboys for BMW here, and BMW does not make more reliable motorcycles any longer. Hasn't in a long time.
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

I don't think the Japanese have been 'afraid' of Harley since 1968 (CB750).
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                          I don't think the Japanese have been 'afraid' of Harley since 1968 (CB750).
                          Lol...how true.
                          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                            I'm one of very few fans of HD here, but I definitely am a fan. I love the bikes. The funny thing is that there are fanboys for BMW here, and BMW does not make more reliable motorcycles any longer. Hasn't in a long time.
                            I can only go by personal experience.95,000 worry free kms on my bmw...nothing but oil changes....oh and 2 weeks ago it went in for a BMW recall for a new fuel pump...my dealer also gives me a loaner bike when ever it's in for service...not sure to many Harley dealers do that...might be wrong though. I wonder if there is a stat out there of who puts on more miles on their bikes...Harley? BMW?...Japanese?
                            No signature

Comment

I can only go by personal experience.95,000 worry free kms on my bmw...nothing but oil changes....oh and 2 weeks ago it went in for a BMW recall for a new fuel pump...my dealer also gives me a loaner bike when ever it's in for service...not sure to many Harley dealers do that...might be wrong though. I wonder if there is a stat out there of who puts on more miles on their bikes...Harley? BMW?...Japanese?
                              Hmm you know one quick dirty way of grabbing data would be to extract the mileage field on a major site like kijiji. Do this along with make model and year and go crunch.
                              Know any script kiddies?

I'm surprised you didn't change your spark plugs and underwear at least once.

My final drive seal needs replacement something to tackle in the spring. easy PITA job.
                              With your highish mileage you should check your driveline apparently these are ungreaseable and there is a shop in TO that will reassemble them after an inspection adding grease fittings.
                              I've only done 25k kms but yes sans incident. Had a brake caliper stick on its pins and distort the rear rotor but that's a lack of maintenance issue that I never thought of. SO yeah pull them and lube em with that green stuff.
                              Going to check my valve clearance in the spring and run through the rest of the items as well. Im hoping for no adjustments needed.

have you got a computer interface for the bike? I have the Hex CODE device and its never shown an error logged.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

A little late to the discussion here, but saw this posted early in the thread.

Yes, there are quite a few Pan Americas posted there, but fully EIGHT of them seem to be the same bike. Easily noticed by the greenery in the background. Since that ONE bike represents one-third of all the bikes pictured, how many DIFFERENT bikes make up the other two-thirds?

Seems there might not be nearly as much traffic in Pan America sales.

Comment

Working...
                                X